Sunstones in Plush,Oregon

Shtrider728

Jan 23, 2009
The last couple of years Ive visited a pay-per-dig site just outside of Plush,Oregon.
It's called "The Spectrum Sunstone Mine".
There are other pay per dig sites nearby,but this is the one I saw on "Cash and treasure",so I had to go and see what it is all about.
You can find their website on "highdesertgemsandminerals.com" If you go there,you will see at least one of the stones I had carved,it is a traingular shaped stone.About 14.4 carats and Ive had many compliments.
There is also a BLM land site nearby where you can dig for free.
I was fortunate on my first visit to find two very nice stones.I do think that they salt the ore piles they sell,but hey at least they try to make your visit worthwhile.the stones I found on the BLM land weren't as nice.But I do plan on giving them a try while I teach myself to carve.
If you like the way this stone was carved...you can find the lady who did it at..."Gemscapes.com" her name is Sherris and she is a wonderful person as well as an accomplished artist with 8 International Awards for carving gemstone......
I hope you enjoy this post

Attachments

• Oregon Green-Bellied Roadrunner 8.jpg
    Oregon Green-Bellied Roadrunner 8.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 442
  • Oregon Green-Bellied Roadrunner 11.jpg
    Oregon Green-Bellied Roadrunner 11.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 561
OP
OP
S

Shtrider728

Jan 23, 2009
I forgot to mention that this stone is about 37 carats in weight and sits atop a pedestal of common white opal.In the first photo the green belly can be seen and in the second photo the copper shiller can be seen.

Upvote 0

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Oh my..I thought you carved it. Obviously I didn't read your post with intent the first time around (sorry)...so you both have a graceful eye...and her work IS stunning:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Shtrider728

Jan 23, 2009
Ahhhh,Thats OK....I must correct myself here.....It started out at about 59.5 carats and by the time Sherris was done with it,it weighed 27.07 carats on a pedestal of 188.26 carats. Here are a couple of before photos.One shows a black mark on the stone where a crack that is too large will have to be cut out. The other photo shows some markings of minor flaws....

Attachments

• Big Red 5.jpg
    Big Red 5.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 373
  • Big Red 2.jpg
    Big Red 2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2,270
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Shtrider728

Jan 23, 2009
Sherris named it "The Oregon Green Bellied Roadrunner".....here are a couple more before photos

Attachments

• Big Red.jpg
    Big Red.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Big Red 3.jpg
    Big Red 3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,355
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread