Suntrust CRH Problems

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to Suntrust just a few minutes ago. Made a deposit and then asked for 1 $25 box of pennies.

Teller: "What is the account number of business?"
Me: "What?"
Teller: "I need the business account number."
Me: "Why?"

She says it's a new policy starting this week.... Any large amount of coins (over a few rolls) has to be attached to a business account. I did not ask for a manager cause they were swamped, but I will be emailing someone.

It does not matter what I am doing with whatever come in & ask for.... Collecting, business I give you money and you provide.

My kids & I only do a couple of boxes a month. It's not like I was asking for boxes and boxes. I pickup from this bank maybe once every couple of months.

Upvote 0

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless you paid a fee, they have no obligation to exchange cash for coins.

OP
OP
P
Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hokiemojo said:

Again, I was not asking for boxes. I asked for 1 $25 box, after that I asked for $10 in pennies & was told "NO". I have a checking, savings and mortgage with them. I think I give them enough biz for a box of pennies every other month.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
parrotheadmike said:
hokiemojo said:

Again, I was not asking for boxes. I asked for 1 $25 box, after that I asked for $10 in pennies & was told "NO". I have a checking, savings and mortgage with them. I think I give them enough biz for a box of pennies every other month.

I think I would talk to the manager/VP of the bank to see if they would make an exception. It's not like you are walking in off the street or have an account just so you can crh.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
well, like i said, they don't have to do anything. i'd just go to anither bank for a couple weeks and then try again with a different teller in the future. it definitely isn't a company wide policy. your bank was probably getting hit up by someone abusing the system. unfortunately, the actions of some people have effects on all of us.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya try to go during a slow time and speak to the manager, I am sure they will understand given your good standing with the bank having a mortgage gives you alot of negotiating power with the bank.

Bigheed

OP
OP
P
Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry this had to be my first post on this board, but I'm really getting fed up with them. I'm a long time reader.

I did, at one time, have a Biz account with them, but closed it cause their terms & fees keep changing every 2 months.

CamK13

Greenie
Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd. I just went to Suntrust not even 30 minutes ago and the only reason the woman would not sell me a box was because they did not have enough reserves to keep their trays full but I can order boxes any time I want. Didn't mention anything about a business account or new policy. Like someone said, maybe another person ruined it for you at that location. :dontknow:

OP
OP
P
Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CamK13 said:
That's odd. I just went to Suntrust not even 30 minutes ago and the only reason the woman would not sell me a box was because they did not have enough reserves to keep their trays full but I can order boxes any time I want. Didn't mention anything about a business account or new policy. Like someone said, maybe another person ruined it for you at that location. :dontknow:

That could be true. I cashed in some coins a while back for my wife's school, some fundraising thing. There were couple of rolls of halves (clad, I checked). The teller said there is a guy that comes in everyday asking for them.

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be fired up, I have a mortgage with Suntrust just like you. With the amount of interest I pay on a yearly basis if they pulled that crap I'd be pulling my mortgage. I can prob even get a better rate somewhere else. I wish there were branches even remotly close to me, I would pay my mortgage each month in clad halves, all rolled or bagged, whichever they prefer ;D

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I also have been hearing some branches at different baks tell me i need a business account to get coins, luckily all of my local branches happily give me coins

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It likely is company policy, although not all branches of a particular bank(s) follow company policy to the letter. You might go to another branch of this very same bank down the street and get what you want with no problems whatsoever. For example, there is one branch of a major national bank near me that will not sell me any coins because I no longer have an account with them - as that is company policy. However, the other branch of that same bank across town will. When I run into a branch of this bank during road trips, most will sell me coins, but not all.

As others have stated, the bank is not obligated in any way to sell you a box of cents, or even 1 roll of cents for that matter. Banks are not coin stores. Or, they can charge fees for anything they like, including an admission fee at the door if they so choose. Likewise, you are not obligated at all to patronize that bank in any form or fashion whatsoever. You can close all of your accounts and move on any time you wish.

We CRHers are collectively a pretty greedy bunch of individuals. We expect banks to provide us with free services, even though those services are not free to them, and we sometimes get ticked off when we don't get our way...and I'm as guilty of this as anyone. One thing we should do as a whole is support the banks that support our hobby with all of the business we can give them.

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the services cost them money, however, they are making money off of me by storing my money at their bank or by me paying a crap ton of interest on my mortgage, or me swiping a debit card. So they are certainly getting their's and I'm just trying to get a little bit back in the way of boxes of coins, coin lock bags, and the like. I feel it's the least they could do. If I don't have an account, it's a different story. I try and fly under the radar and work with smaller transactions. You would think they would be at least throw you a bone and tell you they'll do this one time, it would build some good will in my book
PR

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
We CRHers are collectively a pretty greedy bunch of individuals. We expect banks to provide us with free services, even though those services are not free to them, and we sometimes get ticked off when we don't get our way...and I'm as guilty of this as anyone. One thing we should do as a whole is support the banks that support our hobby with all of the business we can give them.

I obviously cant speak for everyone, but my 3 main order/dump banks make plenty of money off me. Providing coin is a small price for giving them my business IMO.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:

This statement fits me to a tee. However if I was paying my morgtage at said bank and they refused to sell me coins I would be a bit P.O.'d I guess what really jerks my chain is the fact that everytime you turn around there is a fee for this and a fee for that whoops you were 22 hours late with your credit card payment so there goes your interest rates and btw the stamp and the envelope we used to send you your monthly statement... we need to charge your account for that too. The banks make thier money off each one of us and wanna get fussy if they have to go out of thier way a tiny bit for an obsessive hobby for an account holder.

Yes a dump bank nixed me today but oh well onto another.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love Suntrust!!! Hate their brinks boxes

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ParisRoubaix said:
I understand the services cost them money, however, they are making money off of me by storing my money at their bank or by me paying a crap ton of interest on my mortgage, or me swiping a debit card. So they are certainly getting their's and I'm just trying to get a little bit back in the way of boxes of coins, coin lock bags, and the like. I feel it's the least they could do. If I don't have an account, it's a different story. I try and fly under the radar and work with smaller transactions. You would think they would be at least throw you a bone and tell you they'll do this one time, it would build some good will in my book
PR

I agree that due to your mortgage alone, the bank should sell you occasional boxes of coins for no extra charge. I don't feel that is an unreasonable request at all. However, they may likely not do it, and there likely isn't a thing you can do about it. If it is indeed company policy that you must have a business account to buy coins, and this branch's manager is a stickler for following the rules, you are probably out of luck. And you can't blame the manager. If my boss tells me to do something a certain way, and I either don't do it at all or do it in a different way, I certainly can't blame my boss if I get in trouble or even fired. It would be my fault for not doing what I was told.

As others have suggested, have a sit-down with the manager and see what happens. Maybe they'll agree to sell you boxes, maybe they won't. You certainly have nothing to lose by speaking to the manager. You also have the option of moving all of your accounts to a more accomodating bank, and I'd make sure the manager was aware of that fact (politely, but firmly), but if and ONLY if I was actually willing to follow through. I would speak to the new bank in advance and have everything ready to go if that was the route I was going to take if the old bank remained unwilling to meet my requests.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We still (at the moment anyway) live in a free market economy. If you are not satisfied with the service/products at your current bank you are free to move on. It would be the height of stupidity on the banks part to let you walk rather than order an extra box of pennies every month. I could see if it was 6 boxes of halves/week, but a box of pennies?

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
If I were you, I'd try getting boxes from other branch of the same bank. Each bank has it own policy. Some don't mind selling you boxes, while some do charge fees.
Always remember, they Don't have to sell boxes to you, because all banks in USA are under the Fed Res. System, and they have the right to refuse your business.
hh
:headbang: :headbang:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
parrotheadmike said:
I have a checking, savings and mortgage with them. I think I give them enough biz for a box of pennies every other month.

+1 :thumbsup:

If they absolutely refuse to sell you coins, I'd start paying off my mortgage in pennies...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread