Sup wit 96D ?

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
in the five or six weeks I've got back into CRHing, focussing mainly on halves, I've noticed a high percentage of 96Ds in (as we learned in 'class' this week) not BU; but maybe "BAU" condition.

They've obviously been circulated, as I'm finding them in rolls with other dates, but they have sharp edges, strong strikes and very mirrored; but not proofs. Yet, they are 10/11 years old.

I had been practicing "catch and release" with them until now, but with a local coin show coming to town next weekend, I 'll see how many tubes of them I can complie and see what premium they might bring.

Anyone else finding these very high quality 96Ds in rolls and/or can offer an explanation as to why ?

Ninth box of halves for the year yielded only 5 40%ers (67, 68Dx2 & 69Dx2) an '03D........and many "new" 96Ds.

Happy Hunting all

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe in your area a roll hunter found a bunch of rolls of uncirculated ones and just opened them to get them into circulation. I've found plenty of uncirculated rolls that I have opened just to get them into circulation.

As for a premium.... Well, I can't imagine they bring much more than maybe $11 for $10 worth, if you can even find someone to buy them.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I commonly find 1997-Ds in AU condition.

I got an entire box of them once...opened one roll, did not bother with the rest.

I just turned the box back in.

I am sure you can get more than face value for them, but I do not bother with something like that. Just my preference.
I only save Proofs, errors and silver.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies guys.

Given I'm looking through rolls/boxes anyway, and there's this coin show next weekend, I'll "tube up" as many as I run across between now and than...........and see what the market will bear. Worse case, I turn them into the bank the following Monday. I'll keep you posted.

Went small town bank shopping this morning. Picked up about $150 in loose rolls and loose coins. It yielded a Walker (43P), Franklin (60D), 64P Kennedy and 13 40%ers (65, 67x5, 68Dx5 and 69Dx2). Pretty good for about $150 worth.

I also picked up my first bags of halves (counted by the bank's machine and sealed). I don't think these two bags ($500 in each) are going to yield much,as the teller said they were turned in by a regular who "buys them, looks through them and returns what he doesn't need". Who knows, maybe he's someone who doesn't know about 40%ers and I'll still find something. I'll keep you posted on this as well.

REMINDER: Most banks are closed on Monday (MLK Day); so if you want some rolls/boxes better get them by Saturday morning.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
For me, its 2001-D's. I can spot them by the edges, believe it or not! Most look mirrored, they're in such good shape.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the results of my first halves bag search was pretty much as I expected. After all, when I picked them up the teller did say they were turned in by a regular who "buys them, looks through them and returns what he doesn't need".

Interestingly enough, though, each bag (of 1000 halves or $500) had exactly one 64 in it. The first had a Philly and the second a Denver.

I guess he (the regular) missed one in each bag. His loss was my gain; plus I picked up three canvas coin bags in the process.

Still not bad.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Tenth box of halves for the year produced three 40%ers (a 67, 68D & 69D), three recent "escapees" (03D, 05P & 06P) and some more BAU 96Ds; I'll be "taking to market" this weekend.

Happy Hunting all

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Eleventh box of halves produced a Franklin I was still missing (48D), six 40%ers (66, 67, 68Dx2 & 69Dx2) and some more "BAU" 96Ds I take to the coin show this weekend.

Thanks for the Frank(lin)

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Twelfth box of halves this year delivered eight 40%ers (65, 67x5 & 68Dx2), ten post 01s (02P, 06Px2 & 06Dx7), five older BAUs (72D & 89Dx4) and some more BAU 96D's to try to sell this weekend.

The quest continues...........

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess what ? 96D halves, even in Unc condition, are only listed on the gray sheet for $11.00 a roll.

So when I found a dealer at the coin show this weekend, willing to pay $11.50 (though only took two of the ten tubed rolls I had) I accepted. It paid for the two coin tubes and my admission into the coin show.

Not a total loss, while at the coin show, found some nice British six pence and was able complete the Elizabethan portion of that series. ( I also collect pre-decimal British currency)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions