SuperBowl party finds!

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Well, I didn't get to swing the detector even once this weekend because I was helping my parents move. After we did some packing today, I joined my girlfriend over at her parents superbowl party. I was watching the game and her father called me out into the garage to help get the BBQ out to cook some burgers. I walked outside and noticed a huge 5 gallon jar about 1/2 full with pennies. I asked him about it and he said that this was the penny jar that they have been putting their pocket change into for the last 15 years.

Well, we all know what I did next....Got permission to hunt and went to town. I don't care for football much anyway, I just like the commercials ;D

After a few hours and about 15,000 pennies +/-, these are my finds.....(Almost missed the newer looking 1958-D because it looked to new)

Oldest is 1912, and there is also a canadian 1947. The Disneyland coin/thing is made from a 1944.
2007_0205Image0001.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I didn't ask. I know my bank wont take rolled coins unless they are bank rolled. But when I lived in WA, the bank wanted me to roll them and gave me all the needed supplies....go figure ???

Daisy

Apr 16, 2006
Ontario, Canada
That's strange. My bank gladly accepts rolled coins. :D They even give me flattened (empty) rolls by the bundle even though they rarely make it back.
(The local gas station clerks are always bugging me for change so they don't have to drive into town to get some.) hehe
Does the bank charge you to roll your coins? Is that their gimmick or are they afraid you'll cheat them of a penny?
D.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD EYEBALLING, fOSSIS.......................

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most banks now days will not accept rolled coinage, they dump it into a hopper, it automatically sorts, then rolls it up and they give you folding money.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Night Stalker said:
Most banks now days will not accept rolled coinage, they dump it into a hopper, it automatically sorts, then rolls it up and they give you folding money.

That is what my bank does. My mother in law is a CRHr too, except she buys boxes of quarters. she asked me to take 1100 bucks worth of loose quarters to the bank for her. BOY was that heavy.

I have found that coinstar machines spit out silver because they do not weigh right. I have found a few silver dimes and nickels sitting in the coinstar hopper.

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
I prefer hunting through a jar of coins any day instead of watching football, good choice of options Storm, same one I would have made, congrats on the finds
Eddy

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eddy1H said:
I prefer hunting through a jar of coins any day instead of watching football, good choice of options Storm, same one I would have made, congrats on the finds
Eddy

I agree.

Football can be background noise.

At current temps -6 here in Ohio, I'd give anything for a jar full of coins to search.

Guess I'll go clean up some finds from last digging season. May be a gem in that dirt.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, must be nice to find coins like that AND stay warm. Thanks for the post.
-MM-

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, was probably fun looking through all of them! HH, Mike

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds, was probably fun looking through all of them! HH, Mike

Yes, It was fun sorting through them. I was really suprised to find that 1912...it was in my last handful from the jar.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I took my change in rolled once and the bank made me break them open to put through the hopper they have.  She told me that some of the branches have them and others dont.  If the branch doesn't have a hopper, then they take rolled coins.

krumb

Mar 3, 2005
WA
Wow, that is dedication. If my math is right, your finds constitute .001% of all the change you went through.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Thats sounds about right LOL All I know is i was sitting at the kitchen table with the jar and some big bowls (to put the pennies in until I was done with the jar) for 5 hours.

Her mother also gave me her dimes to go through...That went a lot faster, but came out empty handed. She has a huge jug of nickels sitting in the garage that I will do next time I go over.

As for the quarters, they went back to the bank 2 weeks ago :'( $1530 worth of them.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stormtrooper154 said:
As for the quarters, they went back to the bank 2 weeks ago :'( $1530 worth of them.

That's a bunch, hope none were silver.

I found a 1912 peeny one time stuck in the jamb of an old house window. That baby came out with a shine on it. I still have it. I'll post it later. It looks better than a current circulating coin.

All my banks still take rolls. We's hill folk here in central Ohia.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man those are sweet finds!!

Every since I have bitten by the bug, I look at every coin that passes my fingers. I have found a number of wheaties but nothing else so far!. I would love to have a big jar of coins to go through, I would be on the edge of my seat the whole time!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread