Supreme Court says no....

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it won't open im getting a 503 error?

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ruling is bigger than it sounds as stated here by the dissenting opinion:

"The decision “effectively shuts down the entire suction dredge mining industry in the states within our jurisdiction,” wrote Circuit Judge Milan Smith, Jr., in June 1, 2012. These states include the mining states of Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, Oregon and Washington."

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ruling is bigger than it sounds as stated here by the dissenting opinion:

"The decision “effectively shuts down the entire suction dredge mining industry in the states within our jurisdiction,” wrote Circuit Judge Milan Smith, Jr., in June 1, 2012. These states include the mining states of Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, Oregon and Washington."

.......oh,but one just needs to worry about their given State...ya know its just a bunch of whack jobs in Cali huh?

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with this decision the forest can now promulgate area wide critical habitat for species viability. Get ready to be bullied anywhere in the forest they think is critical habitat and elsewhere.

Wyoming Prospector

Feb 14, 2013
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been dealing with the forest service for years. I still have hopes there are some employees of the Forest Service out there that have common sense, but from what I have seen the past few years most of them are over paid know nothing's. I had one kid who couldn't have been over 19 tell me that my backpack that I sat down in the grass just off a trail would "impact that grass for over 100 years". Of course I went by the same area a few days later and you couldn't even tell i had set my pack in the grass. He was probably just a summer intern. But I bet he was probably making upwards of $24 an hour. It is pathetic to think our tax dollars are going towards employing a bunch of radical idiots who take our rights away such as a big majority of USFS employees.

Jwoot

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can somebody explain what this means to a newb?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time we used to dredge in Cal. Some used 10"dredges - that's a BIG gold getter. Then the new 49ers, a for-profit club on the Klamath river, got
so many dredges working their river, the indians got restless. So in 2004 the indians sued to protect the salmon from the dredgers. This lawsuit crawled its
way through the court system til last year when the dredgers (New 49ers) lost. They tried to appeal the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court, but yesterday
the court refused to listen to the appeal. Basically the courts have decided fish and frogs are more important than americans trying to make money dredging gold.
The ball game isn't over because there are 6 more similar cases being heard in So. Cal., but it'll take a few more years to decide those cases. Meanwhile
laws have been passed that prohibit dredging and it will probably take the U.S. Supreme Court to undo all the damage, if they're so inclined.
As a newb, this has no effect on your prospecting plans THIS year, but in the near future you will be stopped, if something dramatic doesn't happen to defeat
the extreme enviros. Please don't tell me you are from Nebraska as i'm tired from typing this!

http://yubanet.com/california/Supreme-Court-ESA-Trumps-1872-Mining-Act.php

Last edited:

Jwoot

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK but what I am wondering is about the 9th district which affects most of the west coast. From what I have read in the few articles and forums it wont be very long until its banned all over the west becasue of this? Is this right or fear mongering? I mean, do you see idaho/washington banning dredgin in 1-2 years?

Last edited:

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get out and go mining when ever you can.
Join 1 or more local clubs and get involved in those clubs activism to protect our right to mine.
Do what you can do to promote small scale mining, break the myth that all mining is bad.
Get and stay connected to what legal actions are transpiring regarding mining.
Look at all the beneficial things that modern small scale miners are doing to improve the wilderness we play in.
Never forget we still have laws on the books that protect our right to mine.
The 1872 Free Mining Act.:thumbsup:
Never give up, never surrender.:goldpan:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK but what I am wondering is about the 9th district which affects most of the west coast. From what I have read in the few articles and forums it wont be very long until its banned all over the west becasue of this? Is this right or fear mongering? I mean, do you see idaho/washington banning dredgin in 1-2 years?

..its now a cancer....they the "herb eaters",smell blood and we have a Lib filled court system that is against us.....refuse to hear this but will listen about gay's marrying for how long now?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for you legal scholars - how come the extreme non-profits can wine and dine politicians, but when i ask local prospecting clubs to get
involved to support mining interests, they always say they're not allowed to "as a club"?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unless you have no tree-huggers in Idaho/Washington, of course they will use this as case law to stop the miners, duh. And of course look for for a ban
on sluicing.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The non-profit club in our area says the same thing. They feel that anything political will jeopardize their non-profit status. I tell them fighting for their rights is OK. The leaders seem to feel different. Ignorance, apathy, ? I cant understand how defending a tradition will hurt them.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone should join or help the PLP. They are the only organization that can do anything about this. They need members and money.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Western Mining Alliance formed as a LLC for this exact reason, we CAN lobby and don't have a non-profit status at stake- not to mention, our membership is private and not public, since we are a private company. So if you feel so inclined to help us fight, we sure could use some man (or women) power. Right now I am looking for someone who is a pretty good artist. I have an idea for a patch for our hats, but I can only draw stick figures. So if anyone out there can draw (pretty good works, as it is only a patch), please contact us. Actually today was a deadline for a class on lobbying at Sacramento, hopefully some of our guys signed up (I need to work this week). We also need someone to volunteer to send out or hand deliver newsletters to (local to you) miners who don't have internet service. There are about a hundred of those miners, so if anyone wants to print out and pass on newsletters to those miners, let us know.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kuger,
What if a bunch of Gay Miners set up a bunch of dredges in NorCal, what do you think would happen?..............63bkpkr

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread