Sure had mean looking eyes!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a visitor in my yard yesterday, after the wife spotted the snake in the backyard, I grabbed my camera to get a decent shot of it. I was hoping it was a King Snake, since they used to be very common in my area, but have not seen one now in perhaps 5 years on the property! But, a Black Snake is just about as good, since I was hoping the reason he/she was here was to help eradicate the moles on the property! :icon_thumleft:

I have not seen a Black Snake here since summer of 07, so it was nice to see this one. Earlier this year while detecting I have come across some Black snakes a couple times, both were bigger than this one and I am sure one was between 5-6 feet in length and very heavily bodied.....

So far this year on the property, have seen garter snakes, water snakes, Ringneck and Worm snakes, and now the Black Snake. When I first moved here in the 1970's Hognose snakes were very common, now over a decade since I have seen one anywhere in Southern NJ, also a drastic reduction in Toad populations in the immediate area corresponds to less sightings........

Don

Attachments

• blacksnake2.jpg
    blacksnake2.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 384
  • snakeonwalkway2.jpg
    snakeonwalkway2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 378

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: thats big boy cool pics

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Don here it is the first time in weeks that I have been able to take a look on TN , and what do I see but a snake !!! Very good shot of this snake :thumbsup: I however would have ran in the house and not returned outside until he was removed and sent far far away !! I am very scared of snakes !

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, A black snake. Good to have around to eat rodents. I've seen them bite, draw blood, and make people sick. I can't stand a snake either lol We spent the day today trying to locate a Copperhead that struck at my wife the other day.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Nice big guy! We had one of those once, in our house during a very rainy period. The house had partial remodling going on, and wasn't air-tight. It must have come up through a hole in the floor/wall. We were watching Tv and there it was, eyeball to eyeball with our very small cat. Both were frozen staring at each other. The snake had it's head rasied way up, maybe 4 inches from her face. she is a feisty little thing, and I can't beleive she hadn't slapped it yet. Instinct I guess. They were so fixated on each other, my husband was able to slowly get into positon to knock the cat away and swing at the snakes head with a hammer. It was pobably 5 ft long. Poor cat spent days after inspecting that part of the room. She wanted to fight.

naturegirl

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Hey Buddy....how ya doing? Oh....great pics of that slithery creature. I'm always glad to see one around my place as it means there's not likely one of those dangerous ones around.!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread