sure i can get you a box! oh nevermind

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went into BofA to get a box of dimes without an account. The teller said sure not a problem so I gave her 300. She took the bills, counted them and checked them, and then proceeded to ask me if I had an account... AFTER she already said it was ok and took my money... Stupid tellers... Oh right I also asked for halves. They had a single one so I asked if I could see it. It was a bicentennial so I said they could keep it. She asked why so I said I was looking for the older ones and she asked 'oh those big ones'? I never realized they made big half dollars! I just went along and said yes and held back my laughter lol

Upvote 0

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) Always answer yes. If it's a cash transaction, they won't verify.

2) Always take EVERY half dollar. You called her stupid, but you gave her an education unknowingly. I think that's a stupid move (since you like that word.) Ignorance is actually the word you're looking for, and ignorance is our friend. Keep him an ally.

I know I haven't been on this forum long, or been back into CRH long, but this stuff is just common sense for the hobby. At least you can laugh, right?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER EVer ask a teller if you could see a half dollar, you buy them ALL.
What makes the matter worse is that you did not buy the only ONE half dollar the teller had. If that were me, I would buy all they had whether it be 1 half dollar or 1,000. (depending on my cash I have on hand of course).
Sorry if this message seemed harsh; not meant to be, but a lesson :)
HH
Buff

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I guess I could have said I was a member but the banks I do bank with ask for an atm card even if its cash. Nothing is reported since its cash but they still verify so I'm a little hesitant to do that. But for the halves I didn't specify that I was looking for silver and didn't mention any dates. I just said I was trying to fill a collection book. I've actually found that sometimes honesty isn't too bad. At my one of the td banks I go to the manager knows I'm looking for silver and he puts the reject coins they get from the coin machines and put them to the side for me. Good to keep in mind though.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prove it with an ATM card? But I left it at home... can you just do it this one time? It's just one box...

I think it's still good practice to buy them all. Banks hate dealing with them, you do them a favor to take them. I just recently got a new pickup bank thanks to a CRH on this very site that dumped months ago and I took them off the poor vault tellers inventory. Besides, It's not like it costs you money. I'd suggest taking some dollar bills and quarters for those easy transactions of less than 10 coins, and then spent them at the gas station or something.

And maybe open an account at a bank willing to sell you boxes if you have to prove it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm probably going to get an account anyway. They are offering 100 bucks for opening an account. I've signed up for so many of those things... I'm gonna have like 700 bucks coming from the banks, going all toward my crh fund :)

Ya I guess I should think about what I'm actually doing next time. Thanks for the tips

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tellers actually like getting rid of their halves, just like presidential dollars and anything else that they have to manually count one by one. when I first started I asked to see the halves and then made a decision, but realized quickly that you just buy them, no questions asked. CRH rule #1: leave the bank with all their halves as quickly as possible.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
1) Always answer yes. If it's a cash transaction, they won't verify.

2) Always take EVERY half dollar. You called her stupid, but you gave her an education unknowingly. I think that's a stupid move (since you like that word.) Ignorance is actually the word you're looking for, and ignorance is our friend. Keep him an ally.

I know I haven't been on this forum long, or been back into CRH long, but this stuff is just common sense for the hobby. At least you can laugh, right?

Not always the case. One bank asked for my name so they could verify my account. I ended up getting an account there after saying my name and they didnt bring me up, lol. $25 to get $480 in halves from them, that the tellers said, we pull out all the silver... still have 3/40% in it. Sadly, my work scheduled wont allow me any more visits down there for a long time, at least 5-6 months.

Soon I will be taking every dollar coin as well. many banks I know of have plenty of the presidential dollars. I will be picking them up looking for errors on them but also to please the tellers as they get them out of their drawers. I can always dump them at my dump banks or use them to pay for gas for the car.

But you are correct, always buy all the halves, regardless of what they are.

F

Farchaus2k

... Stupid tellers...

The nerve of her. Following branch policy, and doing her job. Doesn't she know your box of dimes is much more important than her actually following the rules.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nerve of her. Following branch policy, and doing her job. Doesn't she know your box of dimes is much more important than her actually following the rules.

Good point. It might not be the teller's fault but they are the one who interacts with the customer so when the customer isn't happy they are usually the one who gets blamed. I just don't like that banks are always looking to nickel and dime any way that they can, but then they won't do something as simple as let the tellers take 250 of dimes out of the coin and take 250 cash for it. Last time I checked money is money. Plus I went to another branch of the same bank the next town over and they got me a box, no questions asked

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never understood account restrictions with boxes and the like when you are paying with cash. It doesn't work for any other industry, why would it work for banking? The idea of trying a place before you commit to it is common everywhere else but is strangely frowned upon by most national banks. Since there are a lot of banks out there and nearly everyone needs a bank account wouldn't it make sense to... you know, attract people to your bank by giving them the best service possible even before they get an account?

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never understood account restrictions with boxes and the like when you are paying with cash. It doesn't work for any other industry, why would it work for banking? The idea of trying a place before you commit to it is common everywhere else but is strangely frowned upon by most national banks. Since there are a lot of banks out there and nearly everyone needs a bank account wouldn't it make sense to... you know, attract people to your bank by giving them the best service possible even before they get an account?

Exactally. Cash is cash. Whether its in coin or bills it still has the same value. So what is the big deal with buying a box if your giving them back the same amount of cash in return? Sure if its a small bank and they have to pay per box they order than that's one thing but if its a big one that has a monthly fee than what does it matter? Banks are just greedy and want your money. As if they don't have enough.

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of banks are not supposed to deal with cash from non customers. It has to do with counterfeiting. I know it is trivial with buying coins but if they get burned it ultimately is their responsibility to make up for shortages. Tellers are used to dealing with business buying coin, it is unusual for a customer to want to purchase coin in quantity to some tellers especially at smaller banks. In addition it cost them money. I am personally tired of people especially the government harping on banks. Banks are a business like most others and are accountable to their share holders for showing a profit. You are essentially costing them money and possibly form the tellers perspective may be more. If they sell you coin great, if not go to another one or open an account. I have 8 including a credit union. I count all the extra savings as an emergency fund if it is ever needed. And btw if you say yes you have an account and you do not have your card, they will ask for a social security number to verify it. Been there and had it happen on multiple occasions. I have even had my drivers licence copied. I assume that goes back to the counterfeiting thing. I have also had an account flagged for unusual activity and had to explain myself to the bank president. It seems that dumping 2k a week in half dollars at a smaller bank alerted the armored service to potential money laundering. Good luck.

mills84

Mar 3, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. It might not be the teller's fault but they are the one who interacts with the customer so when the customer isn't happy they are usually the one who gets blamed. I just don't like that banks are always looking to nickel and dime any way that they can, but then they won't do something as simple as let the tellers take 250 of dimes out of the coin and take 250 cash for it. Last time I checked money is money. Plus I went to another branch of the same bank the next town over and they got me a box, no questions asked

All other points in this thread aside, I wouldn't really call you a customer in this situation, as you don't have an account there and it's a one-sided relationship with the bank (they're not the side benefiting).

The bank has to pay a (small) fee to acquire the box of dimes, along with employee time/effort assisting you.

You're actually the one nickel-and-diming them in this case.

(what has this world come to, I'm defending BofA lol)

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All other points in this thread aside, I wouldn't really call you a customer in this situation, as you don't have an account there and it's a one-sided relationship with the bank (they're not the side benefiting).

The bank has to pay a (small) fee to acquire the box of dimes, along with employee time/effort assisting you.

You're actually the one nickel-and-diming them in this case.

(what has this world come to, I'm defending BofA lol)

Lol.

The thing is a big bank like BofA probably pays a monthly fee for coin services as opposed to a per box fee so it wouldn't cost them anything to order an extra box of dimes. Plus the teller already checked my bills to make sure they weren't counterfit. All she had to do was walk over to the vault and take a box out which takes what? A minute? Maybe two? I just think that these banks love to inconvienence people.

I would imagine having a credit card from BofA (or any bank) would be enough to get coins at that bank right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions