Surprise First Platinum! And a couple Silvers!!

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 rings!!

Not Platinum :(

Good evening all, So on Monday I took a day off work and decided to go down to a local swim beach and do some wading. I was there for about 4 hrs and found 2 silver rings and one ring I thought was Stainless. It had a inscription and thought why the heck would someone put a inscription on a junk rink and it felt kind of heavy, or heavier than others I have found for it's size? Any ways I finally thought about it tonight and busted out the acid test kits just to double check. It did not have a mark and again that made me think it was a stainless ring.

So anyways tonight I got out a couple known stainless items and tested them with the platinum acid and they melted away to nothing in a matter of 10 seconds. Then I scratched the ring I found on the stone and put the acid on. It held Shiny for a good 5 minutes till I was satisfied it was not going anywhere!!!

I am super stoked if it is, It was kind of like finding a $100 dollar Bill in your coat you found from last winter!! 8.25 grams and over $290 melt value!! Let me know if there is any other metal that holds up to Platinum acid and is very heavy feeling..

Acid Pic is at about 3 minutes!!

Last edited:
Upvote 15
OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It rang up a 48 on the AT pro. Going to take it today and see if a pawn shop or jeweler can give me a test on what it is.. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath :tongue3:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Congrats!
Looks like it has a channel of stones?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Plat.. Looks heavy for sure...

Suggestion.....You may want to check your plat acid, I think SS will pass all acids.. if I remember correct... from the way your ring scratch tested looks softer like Plat, SS gives a harder feel when rubbed on the slate.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The acid is fine, And As I stated, I tested against 2 known Stainless steals. Both burnt quickly. There are different grades of stainless and some will be more resistant than others, but for years in my field of work I watched stainless pipe have to be replaced yearly with just peach acid..

Then to the second comment I found this to be very hard to scratch on the stone. It took way more pressure to get that mark than I was expecting.

But in the end I am thinking this is actually Titanium now. I did some comparisons with looking up the density of silver, titanium and what not. Saw how much they displaced(for actual size difference) in powered sugar and weighed. It does not have the weight to be Platinum :(

I got a little excited with not knowing what it was, Bummer, But I will find more!!

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The acid is fine, And As I stated, I tested against 2 known Stainless steals. Both burnt quickly. There are different grades of stainless and some will be more resistant than others, but for years in my field of work I watched stainless pipe have to be replaced yearly with just peach acid..

Then to the second comment I found this to be very hard to scratch on the stone. It took way more pressure to get that mark than I was expecting.

But in the end I am thinking this is actually Titanium now. I did some comparisons with looking up the density of silver, titanium and what not. Saw how much they displaced(for actual size difference) in powered sugar and weighed. It does not have the weight to be Platinum :(

I got a little excited with not knowing what it was, Bummer, But I will find more!!

I've seen endless hunters post they found Plat.. only to be let down later to find it is SS... all because the acid test.

But You did fine, I would still take it to the Jewelers just to make sure............ I know for sure there is a Good......... Plat out there waiting for you.. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread