Surprising attic finds!!!

Lamont.Scraps

Jan 8, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I just thought I would post some of my recent attic finds. I know I didn't dig them but it is still treasure to me!!! I was in my attic cleaning up making room for some boxes that needed to go into storage for a while. When I decided to look thru some old boxes that were tucked away. Most of the stuff was junk and allot of it was destroyed by time or mice but mice don't like to eat coins and the Confederate money was tucked away but savable. The "newer" money was in a jar and the older stuff was found laying in the bottom of a box. The house has been in my family since right around 1900 or so and was built in or around 1841. Unfortunately the rest of the attic is clean now and I don't think I will get this lucky again.

Attachments

• coins.JPG
    coins.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,965
  • confed.JPG
    confed.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,966
  • feut1.JPG
    feut1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,976
  • feut2.JPG
    feut2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,956
  • III.JPG
    III.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,955
  • III2.JPG
    III2.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,951
  • stamp.JPG
    stamp.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,944
Upvote 0

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
NIce finds congrats...I like that one cent, very very cool find...can we see the backs of the paper? the suggestion to look under the floor boards is a good one, expecially since there was evidence of mice present, they do haul things away.

HH Vrent

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh man cool finds especially the stamp.... :thumbsup: is fuchwangers an old store or what.

Genool

Feb 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Lamont, I don't know how I missed this post..

Those are some cool coins..They put mine to shame...

I'd love to take a detector to the walls in your house...Someone has to have a stash in there somewhere. A real treasure waiting to be found..

KDMB HH

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul of treasure there ;D

HH

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
The Feuchtwanger Cent is a coin circulated by Lewis Feuchtwanger during the 1830-40s in the U.S.

Lewis Feuchtwanger (Born in Furth, Bavaria on January 11, 1805) received a doctorate at the University of Jena and then moved to New York City. He was primarily a mineralogist, metallurgist, and chemist, but also worked as a physician and was a member of a number of learned societies. He wrote four books on mineralogy and chemicals.

In 1837, Feuchtwanger created tokens made of argentan (commonly known as German Silver) to alleviate the need for small change during the Hard Times. German Silver is an alloy made of copper, nickel, zinc, tin and trace metals. It was considerable cheaper to produce than the extraction of copper for the government minted half-cents and cents.

The Hard Times, an especially rough period of economic recession following the dissolution of the Second Bank of the United States, was known for massive hoarding of small change. Much of the small change circulating at this time (roughly 1837-1844) was composed of clunky copper half-cents and cents privately produced or various cut and whole silver coins of foreign origin. In fact, it would not be until 1857, that Congress would enact into law that legal currency be coin of United States Mint origin.

In 1837, Feuchtwanger presented his one cent coins to Congress for approval as legal coinage. This was probably the first attempt to circulate "nickel" coinage in the United States. Congress denied his request, but Feuchtwanger persisted in his production and circulation. (Laws banning private coinage were not passed until 1864.) Between 1837 and 1844 thousands of Feuchtwanger cents came out of his New York City pharmacy. To the discerning collector over a dozen different die casts have been identified, affecting the relative rarity of each specimen found.

Aside from one cent tokens, in 1864 Feuchtwanger also produced three cent tokens which are considered extremely rare, as few specimens have survived. Feuchtwanger was also noted for producing stamp-like casts featuring his common theme of a pouncing eagle attacking a snake.

He died in New York City on June 25, 1876.

I was also looking around and depending on the grade of that coin, it can go between $140.00 to $500.00. Nice!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Lamont

those are great finds and certainly is a cache and tomorrow i am going to my attic to check under some floorboards as suggested by MonkeyBoy.

when i was a kid we had lots of confederate money to play with (came by way of Kentucky) and eventually pitch in the trash or leave out in the rain... Too bad i did not have foresight. But it was worthless... ahhhhhhh

Steve... thanks for the write up on the Feuchtwanger Cent... very interesting story.

and i agree with Skrimpy that this should be a BANNER item

93vector

Feb 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
WOW.....that 1837 is incredible..first for me
Don't think I will find anything cool like that in my attic ???

Copper looks like a king george

Congrats on your finds!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread