Surprising Copper Cleaner

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
I was reading through an old book about fake US Mint coins the other day, and ran across a little blurb about how the copper planchets for pennies were cleaned in a dilute solution of sulphuric acid and cream of tartar.

Not having sulphuric acid, I tried the cream of tartar (the kind found in the spice rack of your kitchen), and... It works! (Sort of.)

I experimented by putting pennies (old wheats and some from the 70's) in a film canister filled up 1/3 with water, and a small amount of CoT (about what fits on the end of a spoon handle) and let it sit for a day. (It cleaned best on surfaces that were exposed, so for best results, don't try to clean them as a stack... ;)

For the coins from the 70's, where the patina is still "shiny", it stripped off the grime, and kept a glossy appearance. For the wheats (which are a bit corroded), the grime came off, though the surface kept the corroded texture.

Still experimenting, but thought I'd pass it along for some others to give it a try (hopefully on something not too valuable!)

OP
OP
Z

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Just an update on the experimental front:
Using an ultrasonic cleaner speeds things up considerably (but leaving it to soak for a few days is just as good.)

(Sorry, wish I could post pics, but my computer decided that it didn't like the camera driver and won't recognize it at all.... :(

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
.....for what it's worth...........
...i've been cleaning my copper bottom pots and pans for 30+ years with salt and vinegar....and they still look brand new :) i shake the salt all over them, then drown my sponge in vinegar and presto!!!!!!!!!!!!!shiny copper :)

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, 5" excel, detectorpro phones
But would you really wanna do that to your 1881 or whatever IH penny ? Im tring to get green off mine, note sure what to do yet. Anybody have any idea's ? PM me. Thanks

HOWLOW

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
howlow666 said:
But would you really wanna do that to your 1881 or whatever IH penny ? Im tring to get green off mine, note sure what to do yet. Anybody have any idea's ? PM me. Thanks

HOWLOW

Seems that sticking the green pennies into a potato for 6 hours or more is the latest rave. Supposed to work great. Just cut a slit into the potato, slide the coin in and if you have some wire, string, or whatever, just tie it up so the coin is in contact with the potato on both of its sides.

Regarding the Creme of Tartar mentioned earlier, thats been used for cleaning the grimiest of elements on your kitchen stove, (works in seconds with a little rubbing), so it should work on grimy coins too.

F.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
i tried lime juice (one tbsn) in a glass of water and salt(1 Tbsn). Seems to work great, just don't leave it too long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread