Survey-Who out there is unemployed?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I refuse to kiss *ss and play Little Miss Social Network or compromise my ethics to get a job and if that means that I remain unemployed, so be it.

I respect you for that, assuming you're not drawing some sort of government check for being unemployed, that I my taxes are helping to pay for.
Jim

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still beleive there has got to be a better way! Not a clue here, though! I try everything and got about 47 pokers in the fire, hoping "something" will blaze up! My "pet-rock", so to say! LOL!

Unemployed for a while, 5 yrs + now. When I knew job was going bye bye, I paid off house and secured savings. Worked small stuffs here and there, cleaning, garage-sales, flea markets, Ebay, Etsy, tekkering....... Ok, maybe I ain't the MOST dedicated, disciplined, or smartests, I'm not dead yet, but wondering......... where's fulfillment........

I liked one of the first posters idea, making the ink thingys. I also understand what Cat is saying, did you see where the Wall Street broker quit his job, his conscious just couldn't keep raping ppl. I worked in medical collections for 16 years. The only reason I could stay in it, was, I created a job for myself inside the agency, where I could beat up the government for money and payments through Medicaid. I just couldn't beat up on poor sick ppl, know what I mean?!

So, here I sit, and try to use as little electricity, water, gas, and propane as possible. Every penny I don't give a utility company is money I get to keep for me. No debts, other than the monthly norms, and I could even cut some of those. I ain't hurting too bad, but I ain't rolling in it either, so........ just passing time, it feels like. Maybe I don't know EXACTLY what I want to do, I have quite a few options (options are good), and they all seem to have potential. More so than, standing around in the heat, with 400 others sweaty ppl, trying to compete for 2 positions!
Good luck everyone out there! :cat:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hurt unloading a truck 2 years ago. I get nothing but a bad time. Did not know how bad I was till I finally got the VA to look. No big money, but recognition. I qualify for Govt jobs here local, but cant drive to get there. I dont live near a bus route. SS denied me and I havent had a lawyer look at it yet. Im not the suing type. I have been known to buy a abandoned storage sheds. But I mostly work on my health. I have gained almost 100 pounds and detecting was for health reasons. Im loosing weight and feel great. May get back into the work game soon. I drove truck many years after i became disabled from military service. I have had to lie to get every job I have had. But you got to make a living. I see state workers didnt get their cost of living expenses again. Somewhere there is a million dollars being spent to tell me that.........The road crews are out of Mexico, dont see that helping me. Even my amigos neighbors are complaining the jobs from Mexico went to China. I now have a miners pan and shovel.........making the same amount of money I was laid up lol. Cant beat the ol F75, it always produces. Sure wish Fisher or Garret was running things.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
diggummup said:
Yeah 6 years ago I was in the same boat, now i'm in a log raft with no oar, floating wildly downstream towards the rapids. I won't even mention the IRS, that's a racket in itself.

Well now that the fed. Deficit is over 16 trillion you won't be alone in that raft.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS denied me and I havent had a lawyer look at it yet. Im not the suing type.
How down right un-American is that? How dare you not be the "suing type". That's the new American dream... you didn't know? Better jump on board and get your piece of American Pie! :tongue3:

In all seriousness, if you have a legitimate claim, you should go for it. But, I hear you as far as not being the suing type. If I was, i'd of been rich a long time ago. Okay, not rich but well off anyways.

Well now that the fed. Deficit is over 16 trillion you won't be alone in that raft.

No, no, no... Didn't you hear, the nation's economy is steadily improving,
more jobs are being created everyday, and the cows just came home too. :occasion18:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 1.5 jobs. I have been real lucky so far and dodged any lay offs or pay cuts. Although this yr the raises are late. I hope they arent going to cut them out like a lot of other companies have done. Good Luck to all of you without jobs and I hope you find one soon. Sometimes you have to start at a low pay and increase it from there.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze, welcome to the club. I was the same way and I'll be lucky to make $25,000 if I work a ton of overtime :laughing7: Sad part is that my age will play a factor going forward, even though I have great experience and industry knowledge, companies will look for younger blood. :tongue3:

bazinga, I have no problem whatsoever with free enterprise, but I do have a problem with employers short changing dedicated workers. There are still several company's out there that do treat their employees like a valued commodity and give a just compensation. If every other company in this country wanted to outsource jobs, there would be little to no income to cover any living expenses.

Just hope your job, if you have one, isn't relocated to a 3rd world country :laughing9:

I am in a bit of a different situation....The company I work for is Family owned and has been since 1870.The family has always taken great pride in the phenomenal treatment(often over the top)of the employees.They would buy 4-H,and FFA animals at the county Fair,and give each employee half a Beef,and half a pig, cut and wrapped every year.They gave a $1000 cash bonus every Christmas(after Tax)a $1 raise every Jan.Also we had a ZERO Health Insurance deductible(what ever Insurance wouldnt pay,the "Family",would pick up the bill!!!The Co. is under The Calif. Public Utility Commission and this commission has said that what we are doing is discrimination and unfair to other Companies under the Regs,so you know what?We lost all of that!!!!My deductible now is $7000!!!!You tell me how that is fair?Now the FCC is trying to shut down all small Communication companies like this one to consolidate into the bigger ones, How is that American?Isnt that the creation of a Monopoly?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am in a bit of a different situation....The company I work for is Family owned and has been since 1870.The family has always taken great pride in the phenomenal treatment(often over the top)of the employees.They would buy 4-H,and FFA animals at the county Fair,and give each employee half a Beef,and half a pig, cut and wrapped every year.They gave a $1000 cash bonus every Christmas(after Tax)a $1 raise every Jan.Also we had a ZERO Health Insurance deductible(what ever Insurance wouldnt pay,the "Family",would pick up the bill!!!The Co. is under The Calif. Public Utility Commission and this commission has said that what we are doing is discrimination and unfair to other Companies under the Regs,so you know what?We lost all of that!!!!My deductible now is $7000!!!!You tell me how that is fair?Now the FCC is trying to shut down all small Communication companies like this one to consolidate into the bigger ones, How is that American?Isnt that the creation of a Monopoly?
Since the company is regulated by the PUC, it probably is a monopoly already. The only companies regulated by the PUC are companies that have little competition in the marketplace, thus their prices are not limited by the market, and need to be controlled by the PUC. Often these companies are things like power, telephone, etc. The reason they had all those perks is because they had very fat profit margins. Obviously some other companies are upset that they're not allowed into that market, and are trying to force your company into the general marketplace.
Jim

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the company is regulated by the PUC, it probably is a monopoly already. The only companies regulated by the PUC are companies that have little competition in the marketplace, thus their prices are not limited by the market, and need to be controlled by the PUC. Often these companies are things like power, telephone, etc. The reason they had all those perks is because they had very fat profit margins. Obviously some other companies are upset that they're not allowed into that market, and are trying to force your company into the general marketplace.
Jim

Not the case at all.....its in a very rural,mountainous area that the Big Companies want nothing to do with.There are actually some parts of "one big Co's",area now that they are wanting us to take over because its too big of a pain in the rear,to maintain.....they will wait until we get the plant built and then swallow us up!Trust me the "family",isnt starving but not fat on the hog by no means!We only have 30 employee's and they buy %80 of the fair animals which helps young kids immensely...sure that is a write off,but since they cant buy the animals like they did,the auction price average this year went down to half of what it was historically and kids are now losing interest....its a domino effect.Also there is nothing keeping any big companies out of our area(over building us....Comcast is)How is it OK for the Big Company to come in,lay us all off,pay there employees half what we made and give the customer an eighth of the quality service we are able to provide?

roymonster

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I retired at 39 years old.
I say screw the government. I'm living off my own funds!

Sent via: iPhone 4gS (all pics as well) "keep on swingin'!"

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the case at all.....its in a very rural,mountainous area that the Big Companies want nothing to do with.There are actually some parts of "one big Co's",area now that they are wanting us to take over because its too big of a pain in the rear,to maintain.....they will wait until we get the plant built and then swallow us up!Trust me the "family",isnt starving but not fat on the hog by no means!We only have 30 employee's and they buy %80 of the fair animals which helps young kids immensely...sure that is a write off,but since they cant buy the animals like they did,the auction price average this year went down to half of what it was historically and kids are now losing interest....its a domino effect.Also there is nothing keeping any big companies out of our area(over building us....Comcast is)How is it OK for the Big Company to come in,lay us all off,pay there employees half what we made and give the customer an eighth of the quality service we are able to provide?

Not to be argumentative, just informative. Companies that are regulated by the PUC have guidelines to follow and have a guaranteed rate of return on their investments. The expenditures of a regulated company are controlled as all costs are passed on to the user by way of higher rates. Be that the case, the cost of those pigs and steer were being paid for by the end users. What you were taking as "generous owners" may have been "generous end users". The "family" is still free to buy those steer with there own money outside of the company if they so chose but apparently don't choose to do so. It is easy to spend money when it is not coming out of your own pocket.
Best of luck to all.

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be argumentative, just informative. Companies that are regulated by the PUC have guidelines to follow and have a guaranteed rate of return on their investments. The expenditures of a regulated company are controlled as all costs are passed on to the user by way of higher rates. Be that the case, the cost of those pigs and steer were being paid for by the end users. What you were taking as "generous owners" may have been "generous end users". The "family" is still free to buy those steer with there own money outside of the company if they so chose but apparently don't choose to do so. It is easy to spend money when it is not coming out of your own pocket.
Best of luck to all.
so then explain to me how our rates are lower than the big companies are,and how they were taking advantage of anybody?Its the youth and fair that are suffering from that.Not sure how familiar you are with those types of auctions but all the local business owners buy as tax right off.Stll eludes my question as to the no raise,bonus and the extreme medical raise is American?

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so then explain to me how our rates are lower than the big companies are,and how they were taking advantage of anybody?Its the youth and fair that are suffering from that.Not sure how familiar you are with those types of auctions but all the local business owners buy as tax right off.Stll eludes my question as to the no raise,bonus and the extreme medical raise is American?

I can't explain as I know very few facts. I don't know where you came up with the "taking advantage of anybody" statement.

Periodically a utility company will have a rate review with the PUC. At that time they have to justify (especially if asking for a rate increase) their costs. The PUC will want to see that the company is not paying over the market rate for any goods or services or including any unnecessary costs. It would not be fair to the users to have to pay more on their bill so that the company can get the pat on the back for being the high bidder/donor while passing on the costs.

I am very familiar with local FFA and youth trying to raise the best livestock to be auctioned. Most use the proceeds for college funds and in fact scholarships are usually given out at the fair by local businesses. I have participated in many.

Again, if the owners of the utility really cared about the youth, they are free to still buy livestock for the hefty prices that the grand champions command with money out of their own pocket. Your statement that the business owners buy to take a tax right off says a lot. I am not a fan of regulated utilities but do believe in low rates driven by efficient utility companies.

I am not against good benefits and commend independent companies for giving "better than market" benefits when the money is coming out of the company owner's profits, not from the population at large.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...again you are missing the point but I digress....and for your info,they did indeed buy the Grand Champion,Reserve,beef and hogs(there Daughter Had Grand Supreme)

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in a bit of a different situation....

Hey this is America. We can't have companies make thier employees happy. We can't have families able to afford stuff. If a company doesn't want to pay thier employees a very low wage, well then...they can just take thier Jobs else were. And what is this bonus, food, and Zero Health Insurance deductible, hogwash can't have that kind of employer in this good country of ours. Good day Sir......I said Good Day.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...again you are missing the point but I digress....and for your info,they did indeed buy the Grand Champion,Reserve,beef and hogs(there Daughter Had Grand Supreme)

And you miss mine.

I give up, you win.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey this is America. We can't have companies make thier employees happy. We can't have families able to afford stuff. If a company doesn't want to pay thier employees a very low wage, well then...they can just take thier Jobs else were. And what is this bonus, food, and Zero Health Insurance deductible, hogwash can't have that kind of employer in this good country of ours. Good day Sir......I said Good Day.
Yea amen

Vor,didnt realize we were at war?I hear your points but you are not grasping what I am trying to say.........our rates are lower than the Big Guys!!!!The Company have given those perks for over 40 years,what all of a sudden changed?No we havent had a rate increase...the economy sucks and we actually care about our customers!!!I guess thats not politically correct any more though.Sad state of affairs this country has come to!!!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Beans said:

I said Good Day. LMAO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread