OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GoodyGuy said:
The saw edge on a survival knife is just another tool that's built in, that's all. Not the best saw in the world, but there are situations where it would come in handy. Same thing with the built in compass not a great one, but still could be useful just in case, same with the other goodies that fit in the handle, not the best but could still be useful in a pinch.

Personally I would rather have the saw built in and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
plus I have used the saw for certain tasks, and it gets the job done. Check this thing out at harbor freight, the teeth on the saw edge are not the usual lame saw tooth that most knives have. These have two rows and cut like crazy, if you had to saw through bone you could. I have never seen this type of saw on a knife before, it really is worth checking out.

GG~

Absolutely, especially in thick vegetation where you can't get a good swing on the knife for any chopping.

[/quote]
Actually the solar powered chain saw is a myth.
A very practical solution to heavy sawing from a back-pack (log cabin scenario) is the hand operated chain saw.
http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/827

From Green Mountain Products

[/quote]
Oh bother, we are talking knives not saws. :tongue3:

truckinbutch said:
pigiron said:
Eu_citzen said:
Real,
If you really have survival scenarios I can see where it can be of use; i.e sawing takes less energy then cutting.
It all depends on the situation and personal preferences.

A solar powerd chain saw is nice; but weight is a issue. Not likely I'd want that in a real survival scenario.
Actually the solar powered chain saw is a myth.
A very practical solution to heavy sawing from a back-pack (log cabin scenario) is the hand operated chain saw.
http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/827

From Green Mountain Products
Pig ' You could have talked all day without saying something so foolish .
Possibly so I didn't bother to do research before posting. I'm interested in knives you see. :wink:

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Very true, but my suggestions relate to NOT getting a saw knife.
Having these alternatives for sawing lets you narrow down your search for the ideal knife.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
pigiron said:
Very true, but my suggestions relate to NOT getting a saw knife.
Having these alternatives for sawing lets you narrow down your search for the ideal knife.
I get your point, a good one. :thumbsup:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, just what 'is' the criterion of a good knife? First may I suggest forgetting the idea of being another Rambo and hand to hand combat.

I believe that we used the saw blade daily. It was very convenient for close in and delicate work, especially in constructing shelters. As for trimming the palm thatching, we simply backed the lower edge with thick branch acting as the backing with the lower edges of the fronds hanging down then simply cut them off with the machete, similar to a chopping scissors action.

One 'never' lets the temp shelter thatching touch the ground in the jungles. Homes are a bit different.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think everyone has different ideas of the criteria.
I've found the knife I want. Thanks for the tips lads. :)

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
check out the LC-14B Woodsman's Pal that has been made since 1941.
It's the closest thing to an american kukri ever made. Can be used for survival and also fighting. Has the added benefit of a knuckle guard like the civil war
D-handle bowie knives. It's hard to hold your survival knife if a near miss by the other guy chops off your fingers. I have designed an improved version but not made one yet to test the concept. A google search will bring up many details on uses and suppliers. siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Siegfried,
Highly interesting never seen anything like it. More research will be done, thanks!!! :read2:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to beat a dead horse Swedish Mora?
mora01.jpg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's some good knives on here. I like that one Edde posted, Kabar rules, and that one GoodyGuy has is pretty good. I only know about knives in fights. It seemed to be that a guy with a very small pocketknife would mess you up quicker than a guy with the big Rambo knife. I don't know why that was. As far as survival, just have one. After you get out of the fix, you can speculate on the qualities of this knife or the other. I grew up in a time when every one of us carried a pocket knife, even in school. I guess that's unthinkable now.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Eu_citizen, there are a lot of good advice here, but one very important thing has not been covered yet. That is the importance of the quality of the steel the knife is made of. Do NOT waste your money on a pretty-boy, shiny, stainless steel model. They do not hold a good edge. The material is too brittle and the edge will crumble away with the first use. The metal you want is high carbon steel. If you can afford surgical steel, even better, but at least use high carbon. That's the metal that the old time butcher knives were made from and they'd sharpen out to a razor edge. The blades would turn dark with stains, but they were sharper than hell. Those worthless stainless steel blades are no good.

A good idea is to get an OLD Case brand pocket knife with at least 2 blades; 3 would be better. 2 1/2 inch blades to 4". This knife will perform most of your cutting tasks. The reason I specified "old" is because they had the good steel. The sheath knife will handle the rest. For chopping wood, a good hatchet or small single-bit ax is best. Don't forget a good ba$tard file; about an 8" one for keeping the ax and / or hatchet sharp. A good wet-rock for sharpening the knifes is needed, too. Dull knives and axes are dangerous.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Edde,
Your kidding right? Mora has lost quality over the last couple of years. :-[
Back at least 4 years ago they where good.

RGINN,
When out in the woods everyone does carry a knife here to.
However law forbidds to carry knife in a public area here.

Shortstack,
Thanks that was something that was on my mind.
I was unsure how the cold weather would affect the high carbon steel, hence we can go down to -40 F here. I thought it would make the steel brittle because of the high carbon?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu_citzen said:
Shortstack,
Thanks that was something that was on my mind.
I was unsure how the cold weather would affect the high carbon steel, hence we can go down to -40 F here. I thought it would make the steel brittle because of the high carbon?

Nope, the cold weather won't be that bad. The carbon steel has been made for centuries and used from pole to pole by explorers, hunters, and trappers. Stainless was developed to stay shiny and pretty, but it's not worth a damn for holding a sharp edge. As a matter of fact, you can't get a good edge on it to begin with and the edge you DO get on it will chip off fast. Go with the older metal and you'll do fine.
I expect that since the stainless steel is so brittle to begin with, the really cold weather will make IT worse.
The basic guideline I use is, if it says "stainless" on the blade, I don't buy it. If it says "carbon" on the blade, I'll buy it. One of the best utility knives I've had was an Old Hickory brand boning knife with an 8" blade. I'm thinking I'll get another one and weld a finger guard on it. The reason for a boning blade is because it is a straight blade with a thicker back edge.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check these out. Looks kind of like yours, but I have carried one for years. I can put it in a vise and stand on the handle. Hack wood all day, and it still keeps its' edge.

http://www.striderknives.com/site/

Best-Mike

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike,
Yes they are very similar! :o

Edde,
Awww common old lad. ;D

Shortstack,
Very interesting, I wasn't aware of it. Bucause generally speaking higher carbon means more brittle.
At least so for construction steel. (I want to recall)

The stainless steel depends on how it was hardened.
That's the tough part I guess, if it isn't hardened correctly it will be very brittle.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well darn citizen I've been handling knives since I was 3 so I guess I have more experience? Only cut myself 3 times until I was 4. I have experience in bleeding too. :wink: I haae a folding Browning That would make an ideal survival knife. It has a 3" drop point cutting/skinning blade, a gut hook with razor edge, and a saw blade. It's light weight and has high carbon steel that holds an edge forever it seems. I've used it for clearing small brush and limbs, gutted and cleaned 8 deer and also peeled my spuds with it for dinner. Never had to sharpen it yet! The blade is also treated with some kind of bluing type coating that resists rust and wear. But since you alerady found one, I'm sure we'd like to see it. Monty

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Monty,
I still have years enough to get past you! :D
I am looking at a Kukri as suggested by someone somewhere in here I think. :D
They are available here in Europe quite easily it seems.

Regarding bleeding, I guess everyone who has handeled a knife knows that all to well! ;D

Edde,
I've done one knife before, I would do it again if I had the tools.
It's a great fun project to do.

B

BIG61AL

In regards to an earlier posting about hollow handled knives. As long as you are in an area with some trees an spear can be fashioned rather quickly with a branch and shoe lace. That may be helpful with a predator like a wolf where as you remain that much further from the predator's teeth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread