Suspicious Activity Reports (Dont give the tellers a gift)

silverfinder20

Apr 28, 2011
orlando
http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/f9022-47_sar-di.pdf

This is what a suspicious activity report looks like.
In Part III number 35 box B is a box for bribery/gratuity

These tellers must fill these out because they find it supsicious that a customer is give them tips. We coin roll hunters already look supsicous (even though its just our hobby) so lets not tip these tellers because your name might end up on a government agency list

Upvote 0

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
i say if you're not doing anything illegal then why does it matter? if they come asking questions simply explain to them what you are doing and that it is perfectly legal.

theres nothing to hide?

:dontknow:

OP
OP
silverfinder20

silverfinder20

Apr 28, 2011
orlando
I totally agree with you that we are not doing anything illegal. However, most of the people at these banks don't understand our hobby. I dont think that any of us want to be looked at by IRS, FBI or any other government agency.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Just gave a gift basket to the tellers at a bank that saves all of their halves from their coin counter and rolls them themselves, and doesn't give them to a depository...looks like that'll be the last time. I'd much rather stay off the radar.

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
If you had explained to the tellers that you are numismatist attempting to complete your collection of rare dates, and that you greatly appreciate their setting aside and ordering of coinage for your pleasure, you surely wouldn't have to worry about black lists. If I were a teller, I'd feel more inclined to report a customer who makes frequent exchanges of currency and doesn't elaborate on his reason for doing so than I would a personable CRHr who brings me candy.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I don't think the six tellers who share a bag of Hershey's Kisses from me, are going to risk their jobs and their freedom by slipping a stack of hundreds into my next bag of dimes.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think chocolates every now and then counts as "bribery". Now, if you are handing out hundreds when you dump your coins, that might be considered "bribery" but not chocolates.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Geez what a world to live in where you cant friggin give some ladies some candy for being helpful and wearing a smile without looking over your shoulder. I will continue to live my life in the manner I choose though. If the FBI checks me out for being considerate I will have to give them a box of chocolates ......that will really screw with their head when they have to investigate themselves right?

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
JD-GA said:
Geez what a world to live in where you cant friggin give some ladies some candy for being helpful and wearing a smile without looking over your shoulder. I will continue to live my life in the manner I choose though. If the FBI checks me out for being considerate I will have to give them a box of chocolates ......that will really screw with their head when they have to investigate themselves right?

Very well put

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Being a "nice guy" is one of the many suspicious activities that will have you classified as being a domestic terrorist. Want the whole list,send me a pm.

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011

That goes under the catagory of "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished."

My outlook on this is that there's nothing to worry about - if such a report is filled out and someone comes to see you about it, simply explain what you're doing. Let them know how many hours a week or month you spend sifting through coins to find a few silvers, nickels or pennies, and let them know that the only way you can dump the common coins is to find helpful tellers and be nice to them. Ask them if there's something wrong with being nice to someone who goes out of their way to be nice to you?

Really, is there anything wrong with what you're doing? Surely not - you're not stealing; you're not forcing anyone to do anything on pain of injury or death; no, you're not even cheating on your taxes if you don't sell any of what you find (or if you do report gains on those you do sell). Stop worrying about all of this nonsense - half the reason that we're in this near-police state is because we're afraid of the government and refuse to tell them that we're not the criminals and that we shouldn't be the ones being investigated. Stand up to them for crying out loud! Complain to your Congressman and Senators. Write a letter to the local paper. Do something other than cowering in fear!

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've personally never given gratuity to tellers, or donuts, or chocolates. I don't feel like I should have to. They work at banks, I get coin from banks. They are simply doing their job, there should be no need to give them anything. Even if you hit a good score, it's not necessary. I can kinda see why it would raise some eyebrows, but at the same time those of you who want to give things to teller, it is your right.

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
JD-GA said:
If the FBI checks me out for being considerate I will have to give them a box of chocolates ...

^ lol, exactly what I'd do if ever questioned

drpineapple

Apr 27, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Being investigated by the FBI is no fun. Early last year I think there is a very long post with one member who was suspected by the system and the 'fun' he went through even though like everyone else here he is innocent of no crime. You might want to search for it. They went through his garbage and a bunch of other stuff because of a suspicious activity report.

If no one starts standing up our society is headed to an electronic cashless system. That would entail government computing power being plentiful enough and your every trackable action being dissected to evaluate what crime you have committed. Privacy has already left the station.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
timbobwey said:
I've personally never given gratuity to tellers, or donuts, or chocolates. I don't feel like I should have to. They work at banks, I get coin from banks. They are simply doing their job, there should be no need to give them anything. Even if you hit a good score, it's not necessary. I can kinda see why it would raise some eyebrows, but at the same time those of you who want to give things to teller, it is your right.
You are right. You shouldn't have to. Most of the time the teller performs simple tasks, or just stands around.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Those Suspicious Activity Reports are intended to be used to report criminal activities and suspected attempts to commit criminal activities in a financial institution. Bribery or attempted bribery is to reward or attempt to reward someone in order to entice them to commit an illegal act, or to violate company policy. To reward someone for doing their job well, or for going beyond the normal level of customer service, is not bribery. That being said, I really don't care if I'm reported for being nice to tellers. I'll bring them chocolates if I like.

But if the feds do come snooping around my place, they had better be sure to follow the letter of the law, or they will find themselves the ones being taken to court. For the past 20 years, I have helped many others with constitutional law issues, and in court I am considered an expert witness on constitutional law. As constitutional co-council, I never lost a case where I had assisted others in defending their constitutional rights. I don't go looking for trouble, but I also do not back down to intimidation from law enforcement or investigators. I stand up for my rights 100%, as guaranteed by the constitution and the bill of rights. The biggest problem we have in this country is that the majority of the population does not fully understand their rights, and they allow themselves to be manipulated into giving up those rights by the very people that are supposed to be there to protect us all. . . The officers and the courts.

Bob

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
A corrupt goverment often tries to divert attention so that the naive masses are looking at their neihbors for the boogy man

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
kb4iqm said:
Those Suspicious Activity Reports are intended to be used to report criminal activities and suspected attempts to commit criminal activities in a financial institution. Bribery or attempted bribery is to reward or attempt to reward someone in order to entice them to commit an illegal act, or to violate company policy. To reward someone for doing their job well, or for going beyond the normal level of customer service, is not bribery. That being said, I really don't care if I'm reported for being nice to tellers. I'll bring them chocolates if I like.

But if the feds do come snooping around my place, they had better be sure to follow the letter of the law, or they will find themselves the ones being taken to court. For the past 20 years, I have helped many others with constitutional law issues, and in court I am considered an expert witness on constitutional law. As constitutional co-council, I never lost a case where I had assisted others in defending their constitutional rights. I don't go looking for trouble, but I also do not back down to intimidation from law enforcement or investigators. I stand up for my rights 100%, as guaranteed by the constitution and the bill of rights. The biggest problem we have in this country is that the majority of the population does not fully understand their rights, and they allow themselves to be manipulated into giving up those rights by the very people that are supposed to be there to protect us all. . . The officers and the courts.

Bob

Great to hear that you help others like that Bob. I'd be interested in any websites or better yet a quick writeup about some of the overlooked/misunderstood constitutional rights. I know that I don't have to let police search my car if they don't have a warrant, same with the house, but not sure if there are other things I'm overlooking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread