Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have decided, when I get time and/or internet service, to read BDD's entire book. Maybe it will help me better understand. I wish it was a paperback instead of online but I will find a way..

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
BCH,I know how you feel about losing Florida history.The site of CSA Fort Brook in Orange Springs where Orange Creek and the Oklawaha River meet,is staked out for future development.This was part of CSA Capt J J Dickinson's Sunnyside Plantation,and starting point for many of his raids on the Union controled St Johns River.Also,just a few miles away,was where the DeSoto camp was recently discovered.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH,I know how you feel about losing Florida history.The site of CSA Fort Brook in Orange Springs where Orange Creek and the Oklawaha River meet,is staked out for future development.This was part of CSA Capt J J Dickinson's Sunnyside Plantation,and starting point for many of his raids on the Union controled St Johns River.Also,just a few miles away,was where the DeSoto camp was recently discovered.
....a shame ...The Desoto camp is one of the earliest European sites

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't waste your time

That's a real nice post sabre15. Did you read it? Not that I really care. Please let us know why you would make a statement like that. Do you have some sort of problem with me that you would like to discuss? Why do you care if BCH reads a e-book that he already owns. BTW-there are 65 pictures, would it be OK for him to look at the pictures or is this another waste of his time. If you don't have the balls to answer any of this on this thread feel free to PM me unless you think that will be a waste of our time.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BDD is right. The photos alone are worth the price of admission.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shot 20 miles east of Naples. While hunting.. don't become the hunted. lol snake.jpg

zburt5

Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
Coral Springs
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the thread! New to the site and to the hobby, but have been collecting since I was a kid. Though I haven't read all of the thread I was able to enjoy 1-50 and then started to skip ahead. Great story! Local observation, I apologize if I am bringing up previously mentioned information again, but those not familiar with the South Florida area might not know and I don't call reading the following.

Ok been in the Miami area for about 6yrs. and now live in Coral Springs, and know the area the treasure is believed to be in. Let me say that being a cyclist in the area that one thing is for sure, it is super flat. So when the soldiers said they buried the treasure at the camel humps I find it hard to believe that they are referencing hills bigger then 5 ft. You see most any hill greater than that was made with modern equipment, and usually an old landfill :) Next I also find it hard to believe it was buried much greater than 5 ft. do to the fact that the water table is an average of 6 ft. in South Florida. Just my observation!

On another note I was in the local coin shop in Coral Gables, Florida a few years ago and saw a local native Indian selling a lot silver coins. I asked one of the shops employees and he stated that it was one of the local native Indian chiefs and that he was a big coin collector and bought and sold on a regular basis. Happy hunting, I hope to one day do some searching in the area.

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree with the points you make. There are many stories concerning events in the Everglades. Sometimes people focus too much on the details of any given story. The "camel humps" could be 5 feet tall and they could be 20 feet tall. I have heard a story about a place where this might be but it is more than 150 miles north of Alligator Alley. Back in the day there are maps that show the Everglades running way up into central and north Florida. Things were way different before the white man came along making changes and draining the swamp. While in pursuit of one treasure it is possible to come across another. A story based on legend or lore might point you to a general location. Once your in the area you may stumble across something that no one knew existed. The key to finding treasure of any kind is to get out and look with your own two eyes. Anyone that has read my posts on here will know that I am not afraid of being wrong and that I am willing to take a chance on even a longshot.
100_2547.JPG This picture I am posting was taken at "Cloud Mountain" from about 50 feet of where my dowser friend Ovid said there is a large amount of gold buried. It is very close to a military trail and is located on a Indian reservation. I now believe I have another location that is about 100 feet from this photo spot that I think has a large amount of silver buried. This location is a 300 mile plus round trip drive from my house. When the time is right we will attempt to dig up the treasure. I have a deal to split what is found. My Miccosuki friend has informed me that he may have another good location and we will be checking it out soon.

Last edited:

zburt5

Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
Coral Springs
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got the bug and love this Great story! I hope you find it...Look me up if you need someone to dig! Been doing volunteer work at Virginia Key for the last 3yrs and moved a lot of sand by hand:)

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got the bug and love this Great story!
Welcome zburt5.This thread contains a lot of great information,both pro and con concerning several CSA treasure legends in Florida and the actual history behind them.
As BDD mentioned,during the days of the War of Northern Aggression,the Everglades extending further north than today,and there may exist a lost 50lbs of gold specie CSA cattle payment in Corkscrew Swamp.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
And be eaten by those frigging Boas...? LOL!
Searching the fort and camp sites along the Oklawaha River,besides contending with the gators,rattlers,and a mother wild boar with young,are those DAMN rhesus monkeys that Col Tooey brought to Silver Springs in the 1930's.
Tooey's famous quote,"I didn't know monkeys could swim".
Well they can,and there are several colonies of them along the river,and they will attack-nasty buggers with teeth!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Searching the fort and camp sites along the Oklawaha River,besides contending with the gators,rattlers,and a mother wild boar with young,are those DAMN rhesus monkeys that Col Tooey brought to Silver Springs in the 1930's. Tooey's famous quote,"I didn't know monkeys could swim". Well they can,and there are several colonies of them along the river,and they will attack-nasty buggers with teeth!

Excuse me, while I fall down LOL! WORSE than those PESKY Flying Monkeys from over the Rainbow...? DANG!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Excuse me, while I fall down LOL! WORSE than those PESKY Flying Monkeys from over the Rainbow...? DANG!
YES!!!
They have been known to walk down Silver Springs Blvd(Sr Hwy 40) and invaded the subdivision in that area.
One can watch the earlier colony in the B & W Tarzan movies with Johnny W that were filmed at Silver Springs(Ross Allen did the underwater aligator fight scenes),and in the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON jungle scenes.I had a scuba lesson from Ricou Browning in 1958,he played the creature.
Those monkeys have attacked kayakers on the Silver and Oklawaha River,and are very territorial.
Now that Silver Springs has become a Florida State Park,the monkeys that were at the parks "Lost River" ride (where the Creature films were shot),have been removed,but the ones in the Ocala National Forest still roam wild.
Florida has several introduced species,from the pythons,iguanas,those toads and basiliks in south florida,to central Floridas love bugs that eat paint off cars,to those monkeys,and the monitor lizards that owners set free,it is really nothing new.The Spanish introduced pigs and cattle to this state,which became feral,and later were used to feed the CSA.
Now if we can only sell McMonkey as a fast food.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Anyone that has read my posts on here will know that I am not afraid of being wrong and that I am willing to take a chance on even a longshot.
Well BDD its very easy to guess wrong (even I can do that) and certainly nothing to be proud of but being right takes a lot of hard work, patience and research.

Say hello to your Indian friend. I like to think he is my friend as well. And I wish you well in your longshot endeavers.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread