Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
But then again, it may still be there all these years. I really don't know.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BTW the camel hump location on the map in the book is also next to a creek. I don't know if its a creek junction but its definitely a creek. And if I try to overlay the map, it sits on private property and its fenced off. I have driven near the area on several occasions but i haven't tried to contact the owner. But if I do decide to make contact, why would the owner give me permission? After I tell him the story, why would he need me? Any thoughts?

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buried gold stays buried until someone finds it. Anyone that has actual facts where buried gold is will retrieve it asap. Everything else is just hearsay.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Buried gold stays buried until someone finds it. Anyone that has actual facts where buried gold is will retrieve it asap. Everything else is just hearsay.

One case the landowner wanted no one in his orchard.
Multiple people wanted a crack at it.
Sided by two roads and watched from the house ,maybe some one tried but nothing was heard of or anything noticed by one interested party.
Trees are gone today.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Sounds about right. I don't think anybody has any actual facts where this gold is buried if indeed its still there. I certainly don't know. I have discovered some possibilities and one very good possibility but I dont have the time or the money to search or the personality to approach a landowner. This thread was started to gather information. Ive been busy working and haven't detected since July 2015 on the beach.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I am Marion Pasteur Jr.. Thomas Jefferson Pasteur is my great, great Grand Father. My great grandfather, George, my Grandfather George D Pasteur, my uncle Mason were the ones that ran cattle. Still run by family today. My Grandfather, George D Pasteur sr had Marion Hardware. My dad, Marion Pasteur Sr, his brothers George D, Jr and Allen all worked there. If you still have the branding iron I would be interested in purchasing it from you.
Sincerely, Marion T Pasteur, Jr.
Tommy, who I graduated with in 1966 Ocala High School, have discussed this branding iron. I offered the "M" branding iron to him free, but he claimed it was not from his Pasteur family. The Pasteur's were one of the pioneering families of Marion county, ran cattle during the War of Northern Aggression and supplied the Confederacy, an I am sure this was one of their early brands.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not know.
Another option is that it could have been a lumber brand, used in the 1920's-30's when the first growth cypress was clear cut from the Oklawaha River, for marking ownership of the logs.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Tommy, who I graduated with in 1966 Ocala High School, have discussed this branding iron. I offered the "M" branding iron to him free, but he claimed it was not from his Pasteur family. The Pasteur's were one of the pioneering families of Marion county, ran cattle during the War of Northern Aggression and supplied the Confederacy, an I am sure this was one of their early brands.
Who is Tommy?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Marion T Pasteur from post # 1729, whose family was an early pioneering family of Ocala/Marion county, Florida.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it is well known that to get hard money (gold / silver) that the CSA sold to Cuba cattle bought cheaply from Florida cattle ranchers near Tampa (who later on in the war insisted upon gold or silver instead of confederate paper money for their cattle) and then transshipped the cattle to Cuba for sell at a mark up .. the CSA cattle shipping smuggler boats would deliver the gold gained from the past trips delivery of beef -- for buying more cattle and for CSA govt use to pay for stuff ..like payrolls , ect...fort brooke was a well known CSA cattle gathering spot for transshipment out of the tampa area ...the pay master reportedly was from fort brooke ...and as the union troops closed in on him , he fled into the swamps with the money entrusted to him to avoid the capture of the funds and buried them --later on he was captured and set out the rest of the war in a union prision... this is the tale as I have heard it to be..

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi been reading a bit of your postings on the forum. I live in Nevada and Weston. Am an miner out here and have just done some beach detecting in Florida. Can you suggest more interesting areas to md down there? I find it really crummy that most areas you can't detect parks and have to beg borrow from people to get permissions do do anything down there. So used to Nevada with opens lands less people and doing whatever you want pretty much. Just the big city thing I guess. Oh fyi your mailbox is full couldn't send you a private.

I will be spending the winter again in the area Nov to April. My wife works full time there and I am here in Nevada working a few gold mines I have and doing a internet mining show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread