Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After visiting a spot, (5 times), that I affectionately nicknamed my new "Honey Hole," I decided it was time to break out the DEUS. The CTX was able to uncover 14 silver coins on previous visits but then it went cold. I needed to know if perhaps the DEUS could find something I may have missed with the CTX.
So yesterday I focused on the same grid pattern that I had worked on the last 3 visits. Even the clad was scarce. That tells me that the Honey Hole has pretty much given up all of the silver that it is going to give up. It has rained all week so there was no better time than now. The ground was saturated. The moist soil made for easy digging.
Prior to the hunt, I threw down a few different denominations of coins. I checked the tones and numbers in the 2 programs I was going to run. (Programs 3 & 4). The nickels and quarters came in stable and solid on the surface but then I noticed at 4 inches or deeper, that the deeper coin signals posted high numbers but soft tones. This is good to know.
After about four hours, a ton of Iron, and no silver, I decided to move. Not far,, just a little west of the gridded area.
I pulled some more pieces of iron, and then I finally got a 98 reading with a soft but repeatable tone. Out comes a Silver Washington Quarter. I searched that area for about another hour, pulling 2 wheat pennies, and then a no date Standing Liberty Quarter.
This proves to me, the capabilities of the XP DEUS but it doesn't take anything away from the CTX. I'm happy with that.
I think my next trip with the DEUS, will be over to where I found a few "Pockets" of silver dimes.
IMG_3908.JPG IMG_3907.JPG
IMG_3909.JPG IMG_3906.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 12

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just goes to show what's still out there, with the right equipment and right approach- nice finds- Love the SLQ!!

-- Jeff --

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those SLQs

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score and great research to get your goodies. Congrats ATW!

Here is what I use at my honey hole. Sub 8-)
honey dripper.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You rock ATW. Love the SLQ. I don't do so well when I go back to places that I've previously pounded.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that maybe the same thing would happen on the other side. If you would use an XP Deus to clean the area and then turn back with the Ctx.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up, grab another machine! Lol

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that maybe the same thing would happen on the other side. If you would use an XP Deus to clean the area and then turn back with the Ctx.
Thanks Vince,,
With both quarters because of their depth, (6"), all of my machines, including the AT PRO would have picked them up. The CTX has an overload and would have exposed the iron as something you don't want to dig. The DEUS has never shown an overload. I did dig up a cover plate for an old well head with the DEUS. That cover plate would have sent my other machines into overload. This feature makes the DEUS a better relic hunter but it didn't outshine the CTX in finding silver coins in the gridded area. Of course there weren't many silver coins left to find. I'm happy with the results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread