Sweet big Nubian Tea, and a few others

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
couldn't believe that my wife of 28 years decided for the first time to come and watch me dig this past Sunday....so at least she saw what it is I do to get so dirty. This was a muddy shallow old privie hole and the bottles were sucked into the muddy soup at the bottom. She thought it would be funny to get me with my head in the hole, just as I tugged out the perfect Nubian Tea,the large size at that.I also got an ink, a Herbine embossed and a few slicks and food jars. I really liked the door knob, looks like an old Bennington. A friend showed up with his detector and pulled a few 1854 half dimes...both the same date. this site has a lot of history, I think I will detect it too if there is coins like that here and maybe,just maybe....my wife will join me. thanks for lookin, vn

DSC01281.JPG DSC01289.JPG DSC01291.JPG DSC01295.JPG DSC01296.JPG DSC01299.JPG DSC01300.JPG DSC01236.JPG

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
how did you find the spot?

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how did you find the spot?

A particularly muddy low spot at the rear of where an old home sat. It was gone by at the latest,1922 as the Sanborn does not show it. The probe is a bottle diggers best friend, as it allows you to investigate before digging the hole. Probing in itself can wear you out though if it takes a lot of tries before hearing the familiar sound of glass.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Sweet digs. And coinage. Very nice. Never saw the Tea before. That must be a good one for ya. Congrats. Jgas.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I think the embossing on the Nubian is fantastic! That is a great looking bottle. Your other bottles are good finds too, and love the color in that knob. You definitely need to get back out there with the metal detector and wok that place over. Make sure you hit that privy dirt too

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all those great bottles VN, :occasion14: I'd find it hard to continue digging bottles if my buddy was pulling seated half dimes.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I think the embossing on the Nubian is fantastic! That is a great looking bottle. Your other bottles are good finds too, and love the color in that knob. You definitely need to get back out there with the metal detector and wok that place over. Make sure you hit that privy dirt too

I generally screen these holes but it just is not possible with the soil being so wet. I will be going back and try finding some trash pits nearby,closervice to the rear of where the home sat. Not so wet dirt in that location.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all those great bottles VN, :occasion14: I'd find it hard to continue digging bottles if my buddy was pulling seated half dimes.

I like digging coins.....but I am a sucker for an old bottle.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find the Nubian tea is really nice. Does that have an applied top? And you have to love finding seated coins.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I thought for a long time that the embossed figure on the bottles was someone in a turban -- a Nubian, obviously. Later, I realized that the figure is a southern gentleman in a planter's hat. The connection is that Nubian Tea is one of the "Planter's Oldtime Remedies".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread