Swift Silver??

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I understand the Paintings around the mouth of the creek is how it got its name Paint Creek.

That would make perfect sense. It is always interesting to me how places got their names.

Bill

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Imagine a place called Mine Fork and Little Mine Fork But Never was a coal mine on either hollow. Think about that for a while.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
This thought has been running through my mind. Seems to me that the lake on Paint Creek covered up a lot of signs/ markers that would point one in the direction of Swift Silver mine. Signs and markers that I have seen and can remember. From pics I've seen it seems that way with Grayson lake as well. Leads me to wonder if big brother knows it is here and don't want anyone to find it.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine a place called Mine Fork and Little Mine Fork But Never was a coal mine on either hollow. Think about that for a while.

Imagine a place with two different creeks called Silver Mine Branch and they are 5 miles from each other...

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thought has been running through my mind. Seems to me that the lake on Paint Creek covered up a lot of signs/ markers that would point one in the direction of Swift Silver mine. Signs and markers that I have seen and can remember. From pics I've seen it seems that way with Grayson lake as well. Leads me to wonder if big brother knows it is here and don't want anyone to find it.

Boomer and Curtis were discussing that in another thread ... I just don't remember which one. They talked about a silver vein that was exposed while the dam was being built at Grayson. The Army Corp. of Engineers built those dams for dual purpose, flood control and recreation. I think they had to have state permission to build them though. Especially since they are State Parks now, along with Carter Caves and Natural Bridge S.P. all had claims to silver being found in those areas. Coincidence ? Doubtful !

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Grayson Reservoir article information comes from Boomers long list of very interesting items, I did confirm it ..the vein starts at the overflow area and goes thru the dam running under it then over to the opposite hillside where it ends a couple hundred feet into that hill. I think they would have had to known it was there....and I have read where night operations in another location took out hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of silver while make a dam, highway or sch. Ever wondered why every big treasure is located in a National Park or some kind of goberment land? Just call l me a conspiracy theorist, but I have located a lot of things where you can't dig. A friend of mine developed a patented device that locates by the element you have it set for..if he did it someone in the government did it long before him-uses the same technology use to locate hidden items via satellite. That is how I measure the silver beneath the dam. This thing will not be distracted by any other element that what you set it for. Theoretically I could find a gold ring in a junk yard. So if you can get me within a few miles of where you are confident there is something I can find it. Its what I used to find the Indian Waybill silver mines. Before you slam me on this you try to find those Indian Way bill mines. haha

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
My son was driving the Mtn. Parkway when they were working at widening it and he said it was funny that they were hauling stone in covered with tarps and hauling something out covered with tarps but it wasn't up over the top like stone. No one I know of puts a tarp over an empty truck. Just something to think about. Can't remember where he said they was at at that time.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure if the state or federal government knew/knows about any natural resource, they would 'protect it' by creating a park or reserve. The federal government has been doing this since it established the National Park System in the early 20th century. The only exceptions I can think of is coal and clear cutting forests. Typically they select cut any more, and I don't know of any active strip mine operations. I think they have been regulated to traditional mining of coal.

Curtis your metal/element locator sounds fantastic, how cumbersome is it? Is it the size of the briefcase...suitcase..or...wheel barrel?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son was driving the Mtn. Parkway when they were working at widening it and he said it was funny that they were hauling stone in covered with tarps and hauling something out covered with tarps but it wasn't up over the top like stone. No one I know of puts a tarp over an empty truck. Just something to think about. Can't remember where he said they was at at that time.

I think the DOT requires them to have a 'cover' on 45mph and higher roads so they don't sand blast cars and dust the hwys.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm goin to work in Madison, Indiana, at Clifty Creek power plant. Anything worth seein there?

It's a river town so there has to be something worth seeing . You would probably have to talk to some of the locals to find things you would be interested in though. There is a saddle tree factory out there, you might get to see a pack saddle like Swift would have used on his pack animals. Sometimes if one takes some tours they offer ya might pick up a nugget of treasure hunting info.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm goin to work in Madison, Indiana, at Clifty Creek power plant. Anything worth seein there?

You won't be too far from where I live, about 20 miles down US42 from that area. Clifty Creek park is nice to visit. Charlestown park is down river about 12-15 miles near an old WWII Powder plant. Hiking trails and the location of a old amusement park was there called Rose Island (not really an Island ) but there was supposed to be a ancient stone fort at one time where Fourteen Mile Creek meets the Ohio river there up on the ridge overlooking the Ohio. May have been made by Vikings or possibly by Welsh from the time of King Arthur/Prince Maddoc. How long will you be working in the area?

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be there 2 weeks possibly longer. Working night shift, so I'll have time to mess around during the day. I've read posts about that fort I wasn't sure where it was located. I'll check it out. Thanks Hiker

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Chief Cap John was he a Cherokee Chief named John Watts? I loved the story. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread