KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had that all wrong I guess.... I don't see the animals in that picture. Maybe the angle of the photo is the problem? Why would an elk have 5 legs anyway? How big is the stone ?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brushy,

You might try sending it to someone in Cherokee Tenn. There are people there that can decipher most Indian drawings.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Best I can tell the top ones an elk with 5 legs and the bottom one is a buffalo standing on a snake. It's on a small rock just a little bigger than your hand. I found it laying flat on the ground, covered with moss. What's y'alls thoughts?
And thank you RGB missed you my good friend.

Could the five legs mean the fifth branch of the main body ? Buffalo standing on snake mean buffalo trail ? Maybe put together meaning five branches/ridges off/up the buffalo trail ?? You have to learn to think like an Indian. Remember/make note of where you found it, start from there. Just a guess, nothing rock solid in my interpretation.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe it means where the buffalo trail and the snake trail meet? The Snake trail is near the Line of rocks, don't know about the buffalo trail, but there might be some old documents telling where the main ones were. There are three buffalo wallows with in two miles of the line of rocks...maybe they are connected by trails or there were trails coming and going and the snake trail crosses one of them? There were major trails and minor trails the buffalo traveled, went past Big Bone Lick..they crossed the Ohio river at Maysville.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hand sized stone loose on the ground was probably someone's portable map? So is that a snake or a stream? Maybe the buffalo is standing in the stream (crossing)? There is an Elkhorn creek further West in KY.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
There's an Elk fork in Magoffin Co. probably 16-18miles from Grayson. The way the crow flies..

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
maybe it means where the buffalo trail and the snake trail meet? The Snake trail is near the Line of rocks, don't know about the buffalo trail, but there might be some old documents telling where the main ones were. There are three buffalo wallows with in two miles of the line of rocks...maybe they are connected by trails or there were trails coming and going and the snake trail crosses one of them? There were major trails and minor trails the buffalo traveled, went past Big Bone Lick..they crossed the Ohio river at Maysville.

There was a portion of an old buffalo trail along one fork of Paint Creek years ago not sure if it has been destroyed or not. It was about 10-12 ft. wide and packed 2-3 ft. below grade. Ran right along the creek.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Some have mentioned a theory of Swift bringing coins and plunder to Ky.to smelt it. They mentioned smelting on ships or deserted island . In the time frame of the legends charcoal would have been the heat source for smelting for that reason I find it hard to swallow the possibility of it being done on a ship. Desert Island is another thought but I'm not sure palm trees would make charcoal suitable to smelt with. but hauling it all the way to Ky. just doesn't sound likely when Va has suitable timer to make charcoal suitable for the task of smelting silver.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some ships of the time had forges, basically a wood stove with a bellows. The low population of the colonies at that time, and the massive amount of empty coastline on the Eastern seaboard would have given them plenty of places to do their work.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20180929-233742.jpg Amazing how much places change over time.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking the other day that with the abundance of coal in the area, why didn’t they use that in their furnaces?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the other day that with the abundance of coal in the area, why didn’t they use that in their furnaces?

Two reasons I can think of, not much of it was exposed so they would have to know where to mine it from and coal generates black smoke which could expose them to the Indians...also I would think the coal off gases might effect the end quality of the silver? Lots of soot and carbon involved with coal, charcoal burns cleaner for sure.
Down on the Cumberland river below the falls you can pick up tumbled pieces of coal off the banks, but I doubt there would be enough to do a seasons worth of furnace firing with.

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I HAVE PROOF that I'm not a photographer. 20181215_155056.jpg 20181215_154932.jpg

Standing on the flat rock you can see the lighthouse. This is area I was telling you about Curtis, finally got back up there.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread