Swift Silver??

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA! Melungeons could be a WHOLE new "thread"... :coffee2:

Yes but the Mulungeons were always around the silver mines. I notice Swift in his journal mentioned "Mecca Indians" What tribe were they?

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
One tthing I find very peculiar is that in all of the legends of Swift, you never hear any mention of the Licking River . this is a body of water that runs nearly all the way across the state in a northwesterly fashion. I wonder why that is?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mecca Indians WERE the Melungeons...

Then we should know where the silver mines are located? The Melungeons were from one of the Lost Tribes of Israel, The Tribe of Dan which later became the ManDan Indians and had to leave the Ohio River Valley and went further West. Lewis & Clark stopped on their journey and talked to the blonde hair, blue eyed Indians.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The Melungeons were banished by the Cherokee to the upper Pellisippi valley. Or so I’ve read. Anyone know where that is?

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ralph de Sudeley and his Knight's Templar came to Onteora which is North America today. His Journal of 1177 to 1180 tells how he obtained the map to the Holy Relics. One had the stones of Moses in it was made of gold and had two winged egyptian figures like birds on the top. If that is not the Ark of the Covenant of God, I do know what is.

This is going to rewrite America's History, imagine three hundred years before Columbus and the people he came to see had been here since about 700 BC--------some came in or around 70 AD.

Didn't he end up on Oak Island? (Ha ha)

Bill

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Then we should know where the silver mines are located? The Melungeons were from one of the Lost Tribes of Israel, The Tribe of Dan which later became the ManDan Indians and had to leave the Ohio River Valley and went further West. Lewis & Clark stopped on their journey and talked to the blonde hair, blue eyed Indians.
IRISH INDIANS!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The Melungeons were banished by the Cherokee to the upper Pellisippi valley. Or so I’ve read. Anyone know where that is?
Around Johnson City, Tenn., in THOSE mountains; MANY descendants there... SW VA, SE Kentucky Mountains... MY kins (Bowling, Allen, Gibson) were from SW VA; I LOVE Ramp, Wild Garlic, Wild Onion. Many other clues are indicated in my "family line". :icon_thumleft: :coffee2:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't he end up on Oak Island? (Ha ha)

Bill

Ralph stopped over on an uninhabited Island covered with Oak Trees but it did not give the location of the Island.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One tthing I find very peculiar is that in all of the legends of Swift, you never hear any mention of the Licking River . this is a body of water that runs nearly all the way across the state in a northwesterly fashion. I wonder why that is?

In some versions there is a mention of coming to a smart or rocky stream after the forks of the Sandy. Some think its the Licking, others think its a branch of the KY or even the head waters of the Red...even read one take on it saying it was Swift Camp Creek he was describing. The key is finding the traces, then you can eliminate some of the possibilities. It just depends on if they went that far West, Southwest or Northwest...maybe they never went that far at all?

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They do have interesting DNA tracing waaaay back...they are a hybrid group with roots on several continents.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in the regulars that are here opinions on dowsing rods. I've seen my Pap use dowsing to "witch" water before digging a well, and to find existing water lines. I've used rods to witch copper ground lines when a 3,000$ dollar sonar machine was out for repair, while a crew of 30 men stopped and watched in awww. Truth be told I was in awww too, I don't know how it works, but in certain circumstances I'm certain it does. I've never attempted to witch treasure.
Do any of you use dowsing or witching, or do you have any experiences with it.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope...I always assumed it had something to do with Earths magnetic field lines and things underground disrupting them. Doesn't make sense though, as I have seen wood and copper rods used.....?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
When I was younger, I did water-witching for water lines at my homeplace in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. It was an ACCEPTED "practice"... ANYONE could do it. Used clothes hanger wires in both hands, walked a perceived line & it would "cross"; once located in the yard, the REST was EASY!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
When I was younger, I did water-witching for water lines at my homeplace in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. It was an ACCEPTED "practice"... ANYONE could do it. Used clothes hanger wires in both hands, walked a perceived line & it would "cross"; once located in the yard, the REST was EASY!

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Done the witching thing for my water well. Told the guy drilling how deep to go. When he did he couldn't bail the water out as fast as it was coming in. He wanted to stop when he hit 6 gal/min at 70 ft. told him to keep going to the 100 ft. I had told him at the start he hit the big stream at 92 ft. Never tried it for treasure or anything other than water. Don't know why it wouldn't work though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread