Sword Belt Plate, Seated Dime, Antebellum Silver Ring!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Had a heck of a hunt with Shanegalang today. He dug a couple great things first off, including a beaten up Seated Dime and a sword belt plate! The plate is Masonic, bearing the inscription "IN HOC SIGNO VINCES." I dug a cuff button with the same motto at the site, likely from the same uniform. I have decided to give the button to Shane to display with the belt plate. I thought I was going to get skunked, but I got a Goodyear Pat. 1851 button (eyeball find), which I have always wanted one of in my collection. Then I dug a worn smooth Shield Nickel. Shane countered with another Shield Nickel. I dug a nice silver thimble that was complete and not too badly bent by the plow. Then I got a Beefalo Nickel. But at the end of the hunt (probably the last 30 minutes at the site), I got a coin silver ring that looks to be homemade. I am wondering if this is a Claddagh Ring or similar. Almost looks like it has two overlapping hearts on it. Would love to know what everyone thinks about the ring. This is one of my all time favorite finds. At any rate, here is the video and the photos.

HPIM5011.JPG HPIM5013.JPG HPIM5016.JPG

HPIM5014.JPG HPIM5015.JPG IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1826.JPG

HPIM5017.JPG HPIM5018.JPG HPIM5019.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1819.JPG

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 24

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unless anyone has hunted with you, they have no idea the time you & Shane put in and the wet territory you wade through and cover to dig those coins & relics. Congrats Shane on the buckle & you on the ring. Quality wise, that's a good hunt. WTG, Q.
It's a shame you didn't find that ring BEFORE the wedding last year-LOL.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment of finds once again, liking the plate and the silver thimble. Interesting style of band on the ring being connected under the heart to hide the seam, nice find.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless anyone has hunted with you, they have no idea the time you & Shane put in and the wet territory you wade through and cover to dig those coins & relics. Congrats Shane on the buckle & you on the ring. Quality wise, that's a good hunt. WTG, Q.
It's a shame you didn't find that ring BEFORE the wedding last year-LOL.
Thank you Q. I am very excited, well not that I saw BBs enthusiasm lol Sometimes I dont realize just what it is that I have dug :) good point about the ring, it came from the very field that diggergirl proposed to BB in..........BB did you think of that?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt guys! That has to be the ugliest coin I've ever seen, but its silver so it counts :laughing7:. Nice job on the belt plate too. Are you going to attempt straightening it?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt BuckleBoy.

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buck
Here is one I've had laying around on my misc shelf for a few months
Took a closer look at it and it's surely unmarked coin silver that's hand engraved detail with the same motif

image-1671784952.jpg

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Q. I am very excited, well not that I saw BBs enthusiasm lol Sometimes I dont realize just what it is that I have dug :) good point about the ring, it came from the very field that diggergirl proposed to BB in..........BB did you think of that?

Yeah, she buried a ring for me to find, and it would've been perfect if I'd dug that beforehand and given it to her! :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck
Here is one I've had laying around on my misc shelf for a few months
Took a closer look at it and it's surely unmarked coin silver that's hand engraved detail with the same motif

View attachment 1105407

Same motif absolutely! Tell me, was your ring dug on a fur trade site, colonial, or antebellum site?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last November I found a nickel plated cross with the same inscription on it as your belt plate.

That looks exactly like a Claddagh ring, but it does look homemade. I wonder if the details were inscribed and then wore off? I dug one last year as well, I am just sure it isn't as old as yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread