T2 Depth Reading Accuracy

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wonder what other owners feel about the accuracy of the depth readings they get on their T2's.

I"m having issues with coins in the 1-3" range being called much deeper. The first few times I noticed, I blew it off as possible junk near by but the more I use it, it's a pretty constant thing. Get a good repeatable and the depth meter will say 5" and it turns out to be an inch or two.
Deeper coins seem to close on depth but these shallower ones, not so much!

Anyone else having similar findings? Tips for better depth accuracy?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My refurb F75LTD is 3-4 inches too generous. A silver quarter at 8 inches with F5, F2, F70 says 11-12 in F75.

"Marketing"

Kinda like the new pitching wedges you can hit 200 yards. Must be better huh?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still tryin to figure it out its weird im not having those problems with my depth guage it seem to only get a little off on stuff 10"+ but when it says 5" or so I throw the leashe in the ground 5" & its right there either under plug or on bottom of hole even same results with 5" coil

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still tryin to figure it out its weird im not having those problems with my depth guage it seem to only get a little off on stuff 10"+ but when it says 5" or so I throw the leashe in the ground 5" & its right there either under plug or on bottom of hole even same results with 5" coil
Hmmmm that's strange I haven't had those issues. Only time is if it's something tiny tiny and it will call it deeper as it bases it's depth readings on the average size of a coin. These very shallow coins must be making that crazy high pitch squeal I assume that you get when you have a super shallow target. Wish I could help bud

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm that's strange I haven't had those issues. Only time is if it's something tiny tiny and it will call it deeper as it bases it's depth readings on the average size of a coin. These very shallow coins must be making that crazy high pitch squeal I assume that you get when you have a super shallow target. Wish I could help bud

Naw im not having the issues my depth meter is pretty on point until I get to things 10"+ then its a little off for the small er things I put mine on je mode seems yo hone in great

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw im not having the issues my depth meter is pretty on point until I get to things 10"+ then its a little off for the small er things I put mine on je mode seems yo hone in great
Sorry bud I quoted the wrong comment. My bad bro

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella,

My understanding is that it is geared toward coins. Smaller stuff will say deeper than it is and large stuff shallower. Doesn't sound like that is the exact issue with yours though. I have never owned a VDI machine that didn't seem to be off at time for no apparent reason. Number may be right but depth off from time to time. Weird.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fella,

My understanding is that it is geared toward coins. Smaller stuff will say deeper than it is and large stuff shallower. Doesn't sound like that is the exact issue with yours though. I have never owned a VDI machine that didn't seem to be off at time for no apparent reason. Number may be right but depth off from time to time. Weird.

Yes exactly. It's on coins targets. Every vdi machine I've ever swung showed smaller stuff deeper, but this being off on coins is strange to me. Worst depth accuracy I've seen to date! Go and cut a 5-6in plug (per the reading), look in hole…nope it's just under the surface!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes exactly. It's on coins targets. Every vdi machine I've ever swung showed smaller stuff deeper, but this being off on coins is strange to me. Worst depth accuracy I've seen to date! Go and cut a 5-6in plug (per the reading), look in hole…nope it's just under the surface!
Are you in bp, I remember you saying you either run bp or allmetal? In bp mode my t2 is erratic at id and depth but pretty much right on in 2+ or 3 tone which are all I use.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you in bp, I remember you saying you either run bp or allmetal? In bp mode my t2 is erratic at id and depth but pretty much right on in 2+ or 3 tone which are all I use.

Yep, I run bp almost all the time and play with am. Maybe I'll have to change over to 2+ or 3 when checking these targets. Another strike against the T2. I only want to run in bp as I believed it to be deeper.
So far I'm not seeing ANY increase than what I'm already use to so I guess you make an argument for "why you running in bp?" To which my response would be "what's the point of buying a T2/F75 when it doesn't offer any gain?"

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I run bp almost all the time and play with am. Maybe I'll have to change over to 2+ or 3 when checking these targets. Another strike against the T2. I only want to run in bp as I believed it to be deeper. So far I'm not seeing ANY increase than what I'm already use to so I guess you make an argument for "why you running in bp?" To which my response would be "what's the point of buying a T2/F75 when it doesn't offer any gain?"
2+ is definitely more accurate than bp when it comes to depth and vdi. I only use bp to clean up faint deep signals. I have a test garden and it certainly gains you a bit but I can't hunt in it all the time. But as I said its nice for cleaning up really faint, deep signals. 2+ is by far my favorite mode to run in. Personally I love the weight and design of the machine and it's ability to find a small high tone in a pile of iron. It likes to be swung fast and it is a deep machine. I have hunted with an AT Pro guy and he has asked me to check deep faint signals before which are clear and crisp on mine.
I'm a firm believer that some machines are just built better than others. You could prob buy 4 T2s and they would all be a bit different. Just like cars, same exact car can perform a bit differently. So that said there's always room for debate and once you get to a certain level of detector the site is by far the most important part of the equation. It's whatever you're comfortable with. I wish everyone the best of luck with whatever machine feels right in there hands, Abe

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trying to make an argument at all, I'm saying if you run bp you are running it in overdrive and it will be unstable. Your manual tells you when and where bp will help you and the way I see it that is not general coin hunting. Your not finding it any deeper coins makes me wonder how you know there are deeper coins where you are hunting. I've seen an advantage over quite a few detectors. But your results may vary.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not trying to make an argument at all, I'm saying if you run bp you are running it in overdrive and it will be unstable. Your manual tells you when and where bp will help you and the way I see it that is not general coin hunting. Your not finding it any deeper coins makes me wonder how you know there are deeper coins where you are hunting. I've seen an advantage over quite a few detectors. But your results may vary.

I know, not trying make an argument here either. As for the knowing that there are deeper coins in areas I hunt, I think you misunderstood. I don't think there are. Like I said, Im prone to weakness sometimes and wonder "what if!". Maybe I'll just hunt in 3 and see how it goes. Maybe it'll show its brilliance like the ATP did. (Didn't care much for
that at first either)

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, not trying make an argument here either. As for the knowing that there deeper coins in areas I hunt, I think you misunderstood. I don't think there are. Like I said, Im prone to weakness sometimes and wonder "what if!". Maybe I'll just hunt in 3 and see how it goes. Maybe it'll show its brilliance like the ATP did. (Didn't care much for that at first either)
I wanted to wrap mine around a tree at first lol. Then I got it figured out and it all clicked. Got it out in the woods and it was just a monster. I've been detecting for 9 months and have found 11 coins from the 1700s including 3 Spanish silver. Keep in mind I live in Maine so you can take out 4 months for the snowy season. So I am VERY impressed. But I'm also a research nut job. I mean like unhealthy obsessed with it :-) so I have put myself on some killer sites but I don't feel like I'm leaving much in the ground

Last edited:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to wrap mine around a tree at first lol. Then I got it figured out and it all clicked. Got it out in the woods and it was just a monster. I've been detecting for 9 months and have found 11 coins from the 1700s including 3 Spanish silver. Keep in mind I live in Maine so you can take out 4 months for the snowy season. So I am VERY impressed. But I'm also a research nut job. I mean like unhealthy obsessed with it :-) so I have put myself on some killer sites but I don't feel like I'm leaving much in the ground

I guess if I were finding those killer coins I would be obsessed as well Abe. Has to be like cocaine. U da Man..... ha ha

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if I were finding those killer coins I would be obsessed as well Abe. Has to be like cocaine. U da Man..... ha ha
You just live in the wrong spot my man :-)

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fella, I've had sum of the same problems and my ONLY guess would be that the sensitivity plays tricks on it.. HH...

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know soon fella that t2 will start clicking with ya there definitely machines on there own level the t2 &f75ltd took me a bit I found it best to keep the sensitivity low 67-85 & it'll still hit coins 7"+ also what helped was using the 5" coil only cuz the 11"with this much power might be trying to locate 4-5 targets at once mayb that's throwing ur depth guage off to many under the coil idk. Regardless its an awesome machine my ltd has blown me away & I like it way more than the v3i & others on that level this beats it without a dought

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I was playing with 2+ & 3 last night and it IS much more enjoyable to use. Much more stable, PP & depth indicator are better. Although I didn't dig anything deep it was nicer to use (I did find a pretty awesome baggage tag dated 1914 with a persons name and the HS they were from). Christo…I use the 5" about half the time. I like it more than the 11" most of the time except when I wanna cover ground!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was playing with 2+ & 3 last night and it IS much more enjoyable to use. Much more stable, PP & depth indicator are better. Although I didn't dig anything deep it was nicer to use (I did find a pretty awesome baggage tag dated 1914 with a persons name and the HS they were from). Christo…I use the 5" about half the time. I like it more than the 11" most of the time except when I wanna cover ground!
It's a much more enjoyable machine when it's run in 2+ or 3. I think people fall in love with the thought of more depth all the time and 98% of the time the targets are within range or they're way out of range for any machine. Like I said earlier try the bp if you have a deep whisper that you want to clean up. Good luck out there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread