T2 Opinion

B

Bill W.

Here's MY opinion on the T2. I currently have about 50 hours on the T2. I buy 1 or 2 new machines per year. This year it's a T2 and a X-Terra 50. The ones I like I keep and the ones that don't suit me I sell. I've owned quite a few machines... 8) I am NOT brand loyal. I don't care if it's a Minelab, Fisher, White's, etc... if it doesn't work for me I don't care who makes it and post my opinion on it. My opinion is like anything concerning detecting some is personal preference and YOUR ground have alot to do with what works for you and what doesn't. As Willy said in a previous post the T2 does not hold any settings at all. For me, that is not a big deal. I actually kind of like it as it forces you to pick your setting on purpose every time. I agree that it would not have taken too much to be able to save your settings. In disc, there are basically only three options to adjust... sensitivity, disc level, and how many tones you would like to use. 1-4 with some minor options on some of the tones. The other thing that some people would surely not like is the disc is linear. You cannot option to disc out pulltabs and keep nickels. Again, for me, since I run all of my machines so I hear everything that is not a problem. Rusty older screwcaps can ID in the coin range. But, with some practice you can tell them from a good coin hit. Some people have complained about the T2 with shallow coins and ID. But, my take on it that is those people are not familiar with how strong a DD 'type' coil can hit on the outside of the coil. I've not have any problems IDing shallow coins whatsoever. You also can shift to 7 different close frequencies to get better performance because of interference. There is only one coil available for it now. But, it's very good at seperation but could use some more optional coils.

As far as general thoughts on the T2. The deepest coin I have dug and measured (I marked my digger) is a solid 9 inches for a wheatie. That's pretty dang good as far as depth is concerned in MY area. I dug a copper tag in the 9+ range that was a very solid hit and ID. I could have probably hit it another two inches deeper. Since the T2 is of a higher frequency it pretty good on nickel type targets but is definitely no slouch on copper or silver! Some other things I like about the T2 is the quick reset. Even with the big coil it's very good at seperating targets. In iron I would rate it excellent. I've dug some coins very close to iron that it would let me know something good was there. For me to rate a detector excellent in iron it has to have the ability to dig coins close to iron but also allow you to not dig iron because of falsing and such. I've ran across a couple of isolated areas that the T2 gets unstable and I have to push the sensitivity down to 50-60. So far, those areas have been very small. But, I can usually run it between 70-80. I've dug some tack sized targets at respectable depths with the T2. I've not dug any 15 inch coins (penny or dime sized) but that isn't typical for most machines I've ever used in my area. My initial thoughts during my first couple of hours weren't favorable. But, as I've learned the T2 more it's proven itself alot since I've been able to use it more and know what it's telling me. It's definitely not like any Bounty Hunter I've ever owned (no offense meant). In my area, there are places that my past BH detectors were unusable. But, the T2 has not had that problem. Teknetics and Bounty Hunter are both owned by the parent company First Texas. Some of the people involved in the development of the T2 is what originally made me start reading up on the T2. For me, the T2 is a keeper even with it's short-coming but all machines have some.

-Bill

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i had a xt 50 last year to go along with my t-2, and i really had to force my self to use the 50, even though its pretty good, just the comfort level and opperation of the t-2 is a natural for me.

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Love my T2

Lightening Target Separation, Light Weight ( I can swing this machine for hours and hours) , Quick Set Up, Great Depth.

I am still getting to know it more and more and finding more and more. I am experimenting with the discrimination and the different number of tones. The different tone numbers do change how the detector reacts to targets, see the manual.

I have read the manual several times and will probably read it again and again to remember all the different tones.
I haven't experimented with manual ground balancing or frequency shifting yet.

If anyone has please reply.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I agree 100% with Bill.
Just go back from doing a quick hunt after work with my T2. I have only used it 3-4 times but seems I like it more and more each time I use it.
It's light and fast. What is amazing for me being a Minelab owner is that after 4 hunts I am still on the same batteries!

Yep, it's a gem, and it's a keeper for me in spite of a few minor quirks.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Bill I like the way you think, its in my motto.
I can still read posts written . Don't buy those there Bounty Hunters.
First if thy work well who cares.
But what thy don't know is First Texas has been putting out a bunch
of great machines starting with the T2 several years ago.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, its not really necessary to set the ground balance yourself if your in an area where the detector will "fast grab" but one thing that is important is to add a little offset to the ground balance which only takes a second.

The frequency thing is something you should play with. I thought at first that I was getting a little extra depth because the pitch of the audio suited my hearing better (which it does) but now I think I have a little gain due to the frequency as well so I'm on a double winner.

The best frequency in my area is F7 (default is F4). Could be it might not be the best in your area if there's a source of E.M.I. coming in at that frequency. Its certainly not like say the Whites Spectrum where any straying from the default setting threw performance down the drain.

One other thing. Most T2 books seem to suggest that 2+ is the discrimination mode to use on old sites with iron. Its a setting I don't use. 1 and 1+ give more accurate ferrous/non ferrous I.D. gaining at least an inch over 2+.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions