T2 SE with 5" coil sees dimes as pennies

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a school/park that I have been going to for the last few weeks and decided to dig the penny signals since the dime and quarter signals are starting to go away and imagine my surprise when I start pulling out dimes left and right!?! The park is super trashy so I put on the 5" after hitting it with the 9" NEL a few times. Settings were disc 14, 3 tone, gb at 70 to 75 and 85 on sensitivity. The 5" separates real well in the trash and I was able to find dimes around can slaw, foil pieces and iron at depths of 6 to 9". Funny thing is the dimes reading in the low to mid 70's when I'm used to seeing them come in around the low to mid 80's. Is it normal for a coil to alter the numbers that much? If so, it looks like I'm gonna need to revisit some of my older hunting spots that I left the pennies behind in. Either way I'm happy with the 5" coil. I pulled about 5 or 6 bucks in clad this morning in a three hour hunt.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure on the coil affecting VDI reading, but mineralization in the ground sure can. I don't recall noticing it with any frequency. Love my 5 inch coil. Amazing depth, great in the trash, and easy to maneuver in the thick stuff.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure lots of stuff in the ground are affecting it as it's a school yard in heavy use, but my other coils read as one would expect clad coins to read. I'ts just the 5" that throws some, not all, dimes into the 70's, not a problem, as I'm really just learning the T2 and trying to rely more on the sound of the target more so than the VDI. I get more good finds listening to the T2 and what it audibly tells me about the target. When I go by VDI alone my trash pocket fills up real quick but I'm still in a learning phase digging all sorts of different sounds to see what they are .

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the 5" coil. Love it. Rarely use the stock coil anymore when hunting parks.

I haven't noticed dimes reading as pennies.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're skipping all the penny signals, you have to many good spots to detect! I have made some great finds that I thought were just another penny until I dug them....dig all repeatable high tones forsure.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're skipping all the penny signals, you have to many good spots to detect! I have made some great finds that I thought were just another penny until I dug them....dig all repeatable high tones forsure.
Well said. I've dug beautiful colonial buttons and some nice indian heads as well in that range. Also some nice relics

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a school/park that I have been going to for the last few weeks and decided to dig the penny signals since the dime and quarter signals are starting to go away and imagine my surprise when I start pulling out dimes left and right!?! The park is super trashy so I put on the 5" after hitting it with the 9" NEL a few times. Settings were disc 14, 3 tone, gb at 70 to 75 and 85 on sensitivity. The 5" separates real well in the trash and I was able to find dimes around can slaw, foil pieces and iron at depths of 6 to 9". Funny thing is the dimes reading in the low to mid 70's when I'm used to seeing them come in around the low to mid 80's. Is it normal for a coil to alter the numbers that much? If so, it looks like I'm gonna need to revisit some of my older hunting spots that I left the pennies behind in. Either way I'm happy with the 5" coil. I pulled about 5 or 6 bucks in clad this morning in a three hour hunt.

Targets that were once totally masked by the big coil are now picked up by the machine,but the trash is still there so its averaging the target down to zinc penny range as would be expected in heavy trash.The ones that were masked before by the big coil but now come thru as a dime now are just not as close to trash,so i would just dig all high tones in the trash because targets will get averaged down sometimes,especially if the soil is wet or moist..I like to hunt trashy sites when its been dry for a while,hunt open areas were extreme depth is wanted after a good soaking rain..S.T:blackbeard:

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time out of my favorite park I decided to dig all the high tones even if they did look like pennies and I ended up pulling out over $11 in clad.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad Dimes are 95% copper - Pre 1983 Penny's were also also copper. They will ring in at about the same number value. Is that what is throwing you off?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Agreed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread