artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm heading to Queens, NY to visit my parents tonight for the weekend. I decided that it's the "right thing to do", as Mother's Day was last week and today is their 43rd anniversary..but, I have to admit that I'm feeling a bit resentful.

My husband and I bought a canoe last weekend and haven't gotten out in it yet. I'm really wanting to go for a long paddle on one of the lakes in the National Forest..and after a cold, rainy snap, the weather in Vermont is finally gorgeous. On top of that, I haven't had more than 2 hours of detecting time since the ground thawed! Between my full time job, my house, my husband, my kids, my granddaughter, to quote Jim Croce, "There never seems to be enough time". I'm struggling with whether I should bring my detector and all of its accoutrements with me, in the unlikely event that I will have a chance to detect, or if I should just leave it home and take this weekend as a loss.

It's been so long since I lived in NY (16 years), that I can't think of where I would detect, and if I could think of a place, then I wonder if it's legal to do so. I'm really hoping that I have a chance to get to my old stomping grounds on Long Island, but it seems as if my parents want to take me to Chinatown on Saturday and to visit my grandparents on Sunday. I have to admit that I am not thrilled with the whole NYC thing..I seem to have lost my ability to drive in city traffic, parking is a nightmare (I can not parallel park anymore) and there are just too many people around! My parents, on the other hand, can't see how I could live in Vermont, where there is "nothing".

I am gratful that my parents are alive and healthy, and I know that life is short and I should enjoy the time I have with them, so I will swallow my resentment and relinquish my free will and go along with whatever it is that the would like to do..it's just not an easy thing at 40 something!!

Wish me luck and hope all of you working folks out there a great and productive weekend!! :laughing7:

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck ,, and you are doing the right thing, :)
and just think of what Karma may have in store for you when you get home :)

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
So true, enjoy the time you have with them. I would give anything to spend time with my parents. Visting them at the cemetery just ain't the same.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can see you're having mixed feelings about doing the right thing and doing what you have so little time for and even though you still might feel resentful, you know in your heart what you should do. Maybe a wonderful weekend will end up unfolding in New York with your parents and you'll end up never regretting your choice to go see them.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your heading there by car, what the heck, toss it in. You never know if you'll stumble across a detect worthy spot or have a rare free moment to do so. If traveling by air or train, probably not worth the space or hassle to take it with

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
take em detecting...show em how to cut the plugs and use the propointer.but since they are family...give em 10%..:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I threw my detector in the car, and now that I'm here, it's become pretty apparent that there will be no detecting this weekend. :BangHead: Oh, well, at least it got out of the basement and went for a ride.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there will be a nice spot on the way home?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread