Take pity on a newbie - looking for buried gold

Jen129

Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All - I'm hoping some of you might take pity on a newbie and give some advice. I'm living on an 11 acre parcel and just found out that there is most likely gold buried here from a former owner. Apparently the former owner sold some heavy equipment back in the 80's and purchased gold with the proceeds. He then buried the gold around the property. Fast forward a number of years, and this same gentleman enlists the help of his friend and neighbor - he has developed Alzheimers and cannot remember where he buried the gold. They both looked for it but were unsuccessful. The next owner looked for it as well, including digging up the pump house/chicken coop the day he lost the property to foreclosure. I don't want to go around digging holes - which would be stupid if you didn't know where to look. What would be the best way to approach this search, and what equipment - specifically metal detection tools would actually work to a depth of 3 to 4 feet with accuracy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All - I'm hoping some of you might take pity on a newbie and give some advice. I'm living on an 11 acre parcel and just found out that there is most likely gold buried here from a former owner. Apparently the former owner sold some heavy equipment back in the 80's and purchased gold with the proceeds. He then buried the gold around the property. Fast forward a number of years, and this same gentleman enlists the help of his friend and neighbor - he has developed Alzheimers and cannot remember where he buried the gold. They both looked for it but were unsuccessful. The next owner looked for it as well, including digging up the pump house/chicken coop the day he lost the property to foreclosure. I don't want to go around digging holes - which would be stupid if you didn't know where to look. What would be the best way to approach this search, and what equipment - specifically metal detection tools would actually work to a depth of 3 to 4 feet with accuracy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get a pro or two and offer them 50% of find. You get 50%...they get 50%. If it's a hoax? Costs you nothing.

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Probably it would be best to do some more research and determine how much gold was burried and also what it was burried in. Then you'd have an idea on whether or not to use a good metal detector or a 2-box unit, if it's burried deep. The more information you can uncover in your research will make it that much productive for your search.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure that Frankn will chime in, but we'll only give you a 1/3 of the find.... If you're lucky :laughing9:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will cost you about $10,000.00 - $20,000.00 to have the property mapped for electro-magnetic anomolies, depending on the size of the property. Then another $2,000.00- $5,000.00 to have the results interpreted and investigative targets identified. Then you will most likely need to rent a backhoe for a day and hit the target areas.

A Minelab GPX 5000 pulse induction metal detector with a 20" coil, could detect a concentrated gold cache at 36"-46" with ease. Cost, $8,400.00

A heavy machine guy probably buried his gold at at least six-to eight feet in depth. Just a thought..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if it was me and i had 11 acre's that had gold buried on it .......I would not tell anyone.... right now you are telling the whole world ??? Why would you tell anyone ?????????

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure that Frankn will chime in, but we'll only give you a 1/3 of the find.... If you're lucky :laughing9:
From what i under stand they are now giveing the land owner 20%..You see i watched reality tv last year..:laughing9:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BOOM BABY Rick !!!!! will be glad to look for it for you....

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Don't put much stock in this tale without more details. Alzheimers victims imagine all kinds of things. Ask a health professional
if a man with diagnosed alzheimers would be asking for help from neighbors about actual prior events. Sounds like the poor
guy spread this story around and people took it seriously.

There are reputable detector dealers on TNet who will help you if you want to search for it. Might be fun to try.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow talking about searching for a needle in a hay stack.I wish ya luck.....................................

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If money is no object I would advise an LRL unless you plan to walk 11 acres. That is just for starters. In addition you will need either a pulse induction unit or a two box. We use the White 808 two box which is about $799 on Kellyco. And Bob Fitzeralds's Maxi pulse plus unit with a 40" antenna will go down about 30 ft. Costs about $ 1,395.00. Since you think your cache is 3-4 ft deep there is a Maxi pulse 5000 for $700 that will go about 15 ft down. We have a White Sierra Madre with a 15 inch coil that will go down about 5ft which we use as a pinpointer but it really acts up in highly minerlized soil. We have had mixed results with it. I would go with a pulse induction unit. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread