taking it slow while detecting

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Okay this is going to sound stupid to most of you probably but I want to use my detector to its fullest ability. I read a post from TNT2000 who found some nice coins by hitting a small section (15X30) real slow for a few hours. Now I am an impatient person like most of us are I'm sure, but what is meant by hitting it slowly. Does that mean just moving slowly along as you swing, swinging slowly, or something else. I have the Ace 250 and hit an area that I had detected before with my previous detector and only walked away with 2 clad pennies and a bag of trash (pull tabs, can slaw, you know the junk). I had gotten a couple of signals that did not produce anything when digging so I am not sure if I should have kept digging or I hit one of those phantom areas. It could also be that maybe I already got the coins out of that area and I should just go to a new area. I have a couple of sections by my house that I plan on hitting but would like to perfect my technique if possible.
Any suggestions on what I should do to slow down or make my detecting more methodical (big word) so that I get the most out of my detector and hopefully find some great things to post with my fellow detectorists.

Thanks

Funkman

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go by make when it comes to sweep speed. Most Whites were two filter so a slower speed was best, Spectrums,XLT are four filter so fast is needed for best depth and discrimination. Compass had 'Varifilter' which was three filters to try and get the best of both worlds. DFX has adjustable filters to suit your needs. Discovery Treasure Baron filters depend on which modules are fitted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread