Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now putting one of my most precious coins up for sale. Going to start here seeing if there is any interest. See how many of these you can find around... I looked up coin dealers that specialized in old/rare coins, and still have to hear back from one of them. But the other? Whoo-boy... This guys website proclaims the most expertise of anyone when it comes to "Rare" coins, but the return email I got from this guy (I included pictures) simply said "dont know anything about it or anyone who does"... No "hello", no "thanks for the question", no "well I will look into it", etc... Needless to say, I wouldnt recommend these "Pro's" to anyone..

So about the coin...

1861 Silver Half, New Orleans mint (most probably Confederate), "Potty Coin"... These were precursors to the "Hobo Nickel" and from the small amount of info out there on them, were often "defaced" or carved out of boredom in the trenches of the Civil War.
The details on this one are much better than the other example provided by a member, and the New Orleans mint should also make it even rarer... Pics not quite as good as the eye, but show detail pretty good.
Interested folks can either post here, or PM me...

Thanks all, and have a great week!

Attachments

• Potty Coin Face.jpg
    Potty Coin Face.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 4,647
  • Potty Coin Obverse.jpg
    Potty Coin Obverse.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 891
  • Potty Coin Edge.jpg
    Potty Coin Edge.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 251

Top Member Reactions