Taking Shovels into Parks

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 3

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT DON'T YOU GET ABOUT I HAVE PERMISSION? Your the only one coming across as a moron here.
Depending on who sees you using that shovel, that permission slip can be revoked so fast it will make your head spin. I think we're discussing (arguing?) about two main issues here. The first is perception, and the second is end results. Naturally, we all want the end result to be a nice clean recovery, minimal evidence of you being there, and continued ability to hunt the area. There are a variety of tools that can accomplish that. Some easier to use than others. The more important issue for continued enjoyment of our hobby is perception. If someone thinks we're vandals, grave robbers, pot diggers, etc, it makes us ALL look bad. If it takes a little more discretion and slightly longer to make a recovery but allows us to continue without restrictions, I say we have an obligation to ourselves and those coming after us to do it that way. As for someone disabled and can't dig without a shovel, I feel for you, but, that doesn't give you carte blanche to use whatever method you want. As many have pointed out, our problem is having areas closed off to us. If we were welcomed with open arms and encouraged to dig whatever we wanted with any method we wanted, that would be a different story. But as it stands now, we have to be very careful about the methods we use and the results we leave behind or we'll all be on the sidelines wishing for the "good ole days" when we were allowed to detect.

Last edited:

speter42

Jan 22, 2013
St Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Leaning toward A Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about sunrise on a Saturday, or Sunday morning...all employees are probably either off, or in bed!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about sunrise on a Saturday, or Sunday morning...all employees are probably either off, or in bed!
But the cops aren't and neither is the citizen out for an early morning jog that reports a strange guy with a large shovel digging up the park.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

Are you doing a study?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

tw66.jpeg

Attachments

• twspart.jpeg
    twspart.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you doing a study?

No, it is not a study. It was just a question since it was surprising to see it on Youtube. You seem offended by it, judging by your sarcastic question. Wonder why? Didn't think it would be this controversial.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Now we're talkin treasure that's what I'm talkin bout. Now just put your metal tectin thinking cap on next time you post such nonsense on Tnet, Mmkay? We cant take it any longer. You may as well have asked if you wear tighty whities or boxers when we tect. I dont wear either. So there. Phooey to you.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my book taking shovels like good ole no.6 in to a public park is just asking for stupid trouble. And stupid looks to boot. Im serious, shovels are fine for the sluice box, not the detector at the park. " OH MOMMY! LOOK AT THE WEIRDO IN THE SAND BOX WITH A SHOVEL",
Swinging and shovels are for other adventures, not at the park on sunday morning. :dontknow:

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Interesting thread! I use a long, rounded end shovel unless I am in the water. So far I have the reputation of digging without damage to the grass. It gets a little tricky trying to explain you want to dig a privy hole. I have dug alot of them. I guess use whatever tool you are comfortable with as long as it gets the job done without making a mess. DDinPA.

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's so much the size of the shovel (tho I'm sure that larger size often makes things seem worse) it's more the perception of the observer and what he thinks you're doing with it and not so much how you're actually using it.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I don't think it's so much the size of the shovel (tho I'm sure that larger size often makes things seem worse) it's more the perception of the observer and what he thinks you're doing with it and not so much how you're actually using it.

Thats why I always leave the pickaxe in the truck.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only a MORON takes a shovel into a public park..

Terry`s right if we had taken big shovels into the parks 40/45 years ago....NO ONE would be metal detecting in the parks today...we would have ruined it for everyone,just like it will be ruined for the future if you do that today.
Gary

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, maybe we are talking about two different things here....

When someone says "Shovel" most of us picture this-

View attachment 942413

But I think some of you were offend about "shovel" and "moron" being in the same sentence, when you probably use something waaaaay more specialized like this-

View attachment 942418

There's a big difference. That being said, like some other people said- the stare factor. It's there rather you notice it or not.

Hop on you tube and watch some dig videos of people taking something more similar to the first pic above into parks (trust me there's plenty) to dig holes the size of a basketball the retrieve a dime that was 2 inches down......

Yes those guys look like morons....... It don't mean anyone is talking about you- who use a tool that, while technically a shovel- is a much more specialized tool -that I'm sure you guys are using to dig a reasonable plug to get your targets.

Big diff- I'm just saying.
To me they are both shovels if i went to a park i would never take either one of the ones you show in a park..

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy. . . I ran across this thread the other night and for what's it's worth
I'm going to throw my 2-center in the hat.

From what "cudamark" said earlier, it's ALL about perception. Granted, a Predator-type
shovel with a 4"-wide blade will cut a beautiful plug on moist turf with little evidence
when it is used properly.

However, here's a case-in-point: The Forest Preserve District around Chicago with over
65,000-acres of PUBLIC land was shut down entirely to metal detecting. The reason?
Someone WITH A SHOVEL was observed by a park employee using it on manicured turf.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh boy. . . I ran across this thread the other night and for what's it's worth
I'm going to throw my 2-center in the hat.

From what "cudamark" said earlier, it's ALL about perception. Granted, a Predator-type
shovel with a 4"-wide blade will cut a beautiful plug on moist turf with little evidence
when it is used properly.

However, here's a case-in-point: The Forest Preserve District around Chicago with over
65,000-acres of PUBLIC land was shut down entirely to metal detecting. The reason?
Someone WITH A SHOVEL was observed by a park employee using it on manicured turf.
That is for some will never learn… Or use common sense……...

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shovels in parks has bothered me every time I’ve seen it go on.

Going a little off topic for a second, what’s with all the camouflage? This isn’t a combat situation, nor are we ever going to be looked at as tough guys.

We are looters, like it or not. And as any successful looter knows, you have to be discrete.

So next time you go into the parks carrying your Rambo knives and wearing your camo and your Batman utility belt with all your implements of destruction, just ask yourself how much do you really like this hobby because you’re slowly making it go extinct.

I know all about parks being closed. I’ve watched this happen since the 80’s when I started detecting, and as Watercolor stated, Cook county forest preserves are now off limits and so are Lake county forest preserves in Illinois and many other collar counties are too not to mention city parks. So please grow up and use some common sense or find something else to do with your free time. I hear Frisbee golf is a fun game, give that a try.

HH
John

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• pdga.jpg
    pdga.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 106

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Not saying everybody does what was said to me once by a guy using a spade full size shovel in a park..I told him people like him are the reason most places are off limits now..he said not for me they aren't and then told me how he sneaks into places with historic markers at night..guess some people just don't care..I promptly called my buddy that manages that cities parks and rec dept..he promptly ejected the guy and told him not to ever bring a shovel again..lest he wanted to get a destruction of property charge.
Hate to rat on a guy, but if we let the type continue doing so..well I guess we can always plant coins in our own yards..since that will be the only open place left.

Mike

Ps bash me if you want for ratting out what I consider a rat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread