Taking the Sov. GT to the beach this weekend, 1st trip!!

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im taking my dads sov. GT to the beach this weekend to learn it since im buying one from 4-H. Im putting the unit in a waterproof case just incase of spray, and going to go knee/ankle deep in the surf. I have not used the GT alot, just a little in a park to try it. He has the ID 550 meter on his, and will probably pull it off when getting in the water so it doesnt get wet.

Question.... I will be hunting in all metal mode..... what should my other settings be on? Should I manually ground balance? Or set it on auto? If manual ground balance.... is there a best way to ground balance, other then what the book says?

Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saltfisher said:
Im taking my dads sov. GT to the beach this weekend to learn it since im buying one from 4-H. Im putting the unit in a waterproof case just incase of spray, and going to go knee/ankle deep in the surf. I have not used the GT alot, just a little in a park to try it. He has the ID 550 meter on his, and will probably pull it off when getting in the water so it doesnt get wet.

Question.... I will be hunting in all metal mode..... what should my other settings be on? Should I manually ground balance? Or set it on auto? If manual ground balance.... is there a best way to ground balance, other then what the book says?

Thanks

If your new to the Sovereign, why are you using all metal?

I have 2 Sovereign GTs, one is custom waterproofed. I would be very, very careful with it if you go in knee deep....Take the meter off for sure, your not going to use it in the water...

I recommend you use no discrimination at all, no notch filtering at all.

Set the threshold to where it sounds like a small mosquito in your ear.

Adjust the sensitivity till it is stable, if you set it too high (hot) it is going to false a lot and your going to be ether re-swinging the coil to see what that was, or digging ghost signals...I do not know what beach your hunting, but usually for me it is set anywhere between the 11 and 3 o'clock position on the dial. You can try auto, but if there is any black sand it is going to false, and even tiny waves moving over the coil will set it off when it is too hot.

When you get a null (loss of threshold, means it sees a piece of iron) be sure to sweep it again 90 degrees from direction of original sweep, if there is gold by the iron it will give you a tone, sometimes on original sweep you get just the null, and on the resweep you get the null, plus tone for the gold.

I set my volume on full..

It has a silent search, but if your new I would not use it yet.

Here is a hot link to the Minelab Sovereign GT Manual...http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4062/4901-0051-1.1 Inst Manual Sovereign GT website.pdf

check out this section for ground balancing (7.8.2. To ground balance in non-mineralized soils)

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I figured I would use all metal because people were saying it will go deeper, plus being at the beach I wont get that many signals. Its pretty clean where I go. Delaware. I will be mostly ring/jewlery hunting, so I guess I could set it so it doesnt pick up iron.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saltfisher said:
Thanks, I figured I would use all metal because people were saying it will go deeper, plus being at the beach I wont get that many signals. Its pretty clean where I go. Delaware. I will be mostly ring/jewlery hunting, so I guess I could set it so it doesnt pick up iron.

Delware, I heard your summer only lasts 3 weeks, better hurry... :laughing7:

Unless your beach is really deep with sand I would first hunt it in discrimination if it was me.....It will null on all the iron. If you have a stone, rocky bottom, hard shell or clay beach it's not going to sink that deep down like it does down here where we have 2 to 4 feet of sand on many of the beaches, and up to 15 feet where they are re-nourishing them...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not turn up the disc to get rid of the iron. Just turn on the Iron Mask and your set to go if you follow the rest of Treasure Hunters suggestions.

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok sounds good.

Any other tips/tricks i should know before hitting up the sand?

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leaving mid day friday, so wish me some good finds and i will get pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions