Tale of 50K.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Short version...
A friend of mine, has a friend that told him a story of a fellow that hid a life savings of a bit over $50,000 somewhere on his property. In the mid-80's he got suddenly very sick and passed away without relaying the location to his wife and son. Wife passed a few years later, son died in car wreck a dozen more years later. Cousin who has property still believed it was hidden there... So, my friend, knowing I had an affinity for "finding", brought me in and asked me to try and locate it.

Property is a couple acres in size with a delapidated barn, well shed and two trailer houses. Lots and lots of junk, many cars, and scrap by the truckloads. So much so it's hard to navigate and detecting is out of the question.
So, we talked to the cousin, apply some of the "cache rules" about being in sight, but out of others sight, close enough to hear activity if some one tried to steal it, weather protected, fairly easy access, where "I" would hide it, markings of sort, and so on... I decided that of all the nooks and crannies, it might be under the back side of the trailer below his bedroom. Exterior wooden walls were erected to screen this area and it looked like an intentionally "clear but blocked" path under the trailer near the back door. Though there are hundreds of possible places, this I chose as first to check. I slide under and take a look- a few soft observations led me to probe with a brass rod into the dirt. Within a few dozen pushes, I strike a metal object, probe more and it's big, ground is also a tad softer, dig a bit and find it is a large skillet.
Skillet, yep, over the top of a 5 gallon bucket! (all this exactly centered under the main X in the trailer frame above it).

I excitedly dig the bucket free- but shortly realize... it's empty... Contains only newspaper that retained the shape of being wrapped around coin rolls and bundles of cash. Papers had dates from the 70's noting newer and nothing else.

Now we all are left to wonder; was it found by someone else, looted, or did the owner move it to another location, spend it, who knows... (and why was it closed, re-covered, and dirt smoothed out if it was empty?) With all the things I saw, heard, and guess on my intuition- I think the son probably got it a long time ago and just never told anyone and didn't make a scene spending it... Hope so, anyway.

Hole.jpg Empty.jpg
Maybe next cache...

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be made that way to foil anyone looking ... while its really hidden in a complex place...under an old car....found by lifting the rear seat or a floor mat.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That went well.
Danged good job.

Did the old man have all his eggs in one basket? Or more caches out there at one time? Did he clean out the most convenient one first ,or the newest ,or oldest.....Gotta wonder.

Losing one of multiple caches would be better than losing all in one cache if some one spotted it being added to ,placed, or a withdrawal made from one..

all seventies papers hints of a limited amount of time. Though consolidation of everything in one cache at a given time is not impossible.

Interesting.

Knock on any gas tanks on vehicles.
You know about building thresholds and corners inside and outside.
An obstacle on a corner could defend what is under it. Even up under a corner.
The depth of one cache does not mean others would match ,but could hint of such. Helpful if probing...

Congrats. Reads like a fun challenge.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned several cars. Have you opened the hoods & looked at the ground between fenders & engines? Some of the old cars & trucks had enough room to dig between the wheel wells & engines. Another thing to check, are the gas tanks missing screws & bolts? Lift the tank out, deposit & smooth out dirt & drop tank back in. From the picture I'm assuming a mobile home or double wide? Thought about where pipes are going or extra pipes? Check the vehicle oil pans, missing bolts or areas that are cleaner than the rest? Missing pan gasket? Don't limit your search to just ground digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread