Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So has anybody ever found the cave in todays times. ???

beekeeper65

Greenie
Aug 25, 2006
Goshen, NY
Weird NJ did a piece on this cave a few years back. Apparantly there is more than one cave in the area. One cave they mention in the article is supposedly now graffitti covered. Another one they explored only the entrance chamber. The Town of Frelinghuysen has the location of the Devil's Wheelwright Shop listed on their Open Space Master Plan as well as Devils Kitchen #1 & Devils Kitchen # 2 caves...so these caves are pretty well known...still might be worth checking out though :icon_thumright:

beekeeper65

Greenie
Aug 25, 2006
Goshen, NY
Just an interesting side note: The New York Times article says that the cave was explored to a depth of over 300 feet. However, the Frelinghuysen Open Space Plan references a book by a senior geologist with the NJDEP in which The Devils Wheelright Shop is listed as a fissure passage 60 feet long. Devils Kitchen # 1 is listed as a 130 foot brach passage of flowstone and coral with a singular column. Devils Passage # 2 is listed as 40ft x 30 ft with a 2nd room accessed via a crawlspace with evidence of indian habitiation. None of these caves fit the entire description in the NY Times article. Is there another cave in that area? Or was a passage deeper into the cave somehow missed ??? Or was the original explorer exaggerating his exploration/finds? Something doesn't add up....

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the article did call that guy a local character :laughing7: Maybe he was just spinning another yarn :dontknow:

beekeeper65

Greenie
Aug 25, 2006
Goshen, NY
Spartacus - I think you are spot on with this guy being a "character"! White rats are usually lab rats..and a white (Snowy) owl while possible in NJ would be well out of its traditionally territory... ::). Still - looks like it might be a fun place to check out this Fall...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that is listed in Weird NJ is a fun place to visit. You just have to make sure that it's public land and for gods sake stay away from the hospitals they mention. People are always getting arrested for trespassing when they already know it's illegal. I have one local "ghost town" about 20 minutes from me. It's a place called Passenda, NJ and the only thing there is the foundation of an old Terra Cotta factory. Never found anything old value there either. Now I just have to wait another 4 months for the next issue of Weird NJ :laughing7:

Mineo26

Apr 15, 2010
New Jersey
thanks for posting this. one weekend im gona check this out! i was in blairstown years ago. very old town that looks like it has alot of history! i remember reading they filmed the first friday the 13th at the lake there. if i find anything i will definitely be posting. would love to find a arrow head. but im taking that story with a grain of salt.

beekeeper65

Greenie
Aug 25, 2006
Goshen, NY
Hi Mineo,

You never know - the NJDEP survey did mention evidence of Indian habitation..but it didn't say exactly what that was. You might get lucky and find a point or hammerstone. I am going to check it out too this fall..it just always bothers me when I hear of a place like this and hear that its graffitti covered, etc :'(. I wish people would leave well enough alone and take their trash with them too.

Best Regards,
BK65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread