Talk about a Small World

cpt_peewee

Jan 22, 2004
LA (Lower Arkansas)
This last week my family went to Petit Jean Mtn. in Ark. for a little camping trip. One detour we took (besides looking at the pictographs on the walls of the Rock House cave.) was up to Dover, just North of Russellville. While we were there, I told my wife and child the legend of the lost ledge of gold discovered by a Confederate cavalryman, who was unable to locate it after the war when he returned to the area. (Story contained in Lost Treasures of the Ozarks or the SW. [I can't remember which]) The only gold ever found there was by local farmer, John Sheffeild during the 1880's. As many tales in NW Ark, I always thought this one was mostly BS.
Upon going to the Mather Lodge at Petit Jean the next day to eat, who should I have the coincidence to meet? A retired school teacher who happened to be the Great-Grand Daughter of John Sheffield. (insert Twilight Zone music here) She didn't have a whole lot of specifics but assured me that her great grandpa did find the nuggets on the family farm. She also gave me the location of the farm before its sale to the Forest Service by a later heir.
Small world indeed.
HH
Cpt_PeeWee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread