Talk about the spot that keeps on giving.....My 1st dug Flying Eagle cent

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Went on a few hour hunt today with Val aka.Disciple,she called me saying where are you(i slept in lol)my bad...25 minutes later i was there.She found some good nickles including a Buffalo,cant remember what else she may have found right now,but my finds are below and got an AWSOME FIRST i was pretty stoked with that find lemme tell ya!! Enjoy.

a piece of old pottery i found while digging a signal(pretty recognizable pattern)
10-18-07 pottery frag..JPG
10-18-07 pottery frag. rev..JPG
The coins i ended up with .73cents in clad 2 nickles a 40,57 one 45 wheatie..a whats it(maybe a coin dunno yet..size/shape of a penny)
10-18-07.jpg
10-18-07 2rev..JPG
And lastly 10 min. before we left i got a zinc/ring signal dug 3 and a half inches down i scored another first a sweet 1857 Flying Eagle cent Woooohhhoooo i was stoked..i thought about charging Val her Buff. nickle just to see it lol..j/k
10-18-07 Best.JPG
10-18-07 Best rev..JPG

I'll be the first to say this hobby is proving what my destiny is and i think its MD'ing I'm so fortunate to have been interested enough to begin MD'ing and it's definitely very rewarding.....All of the pics are uncleaned as of yet,when i clean the coins up i will re post those pics so you can see them

thanks for looking
Stay safe and HH
~Shawn~

Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
UnEarthed... Great job!!!

I remember when you were wondering how to find someplace to detect when you were new here...

Congrats!!

Was that found with the whites or bounty hunter?

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
great find......

that coin looks to be in great shape...

That one is still on my list on firsts not yet found !!!!

3S

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Montana Jim said:
UnEarthed... Great job!!!

I remember when you were wondering how to find someplace to detect when you were new here...

Congrats!!

Was that found with the whites or bounty hunter?

LOL jim...i think i found me a sweet spot..or this hobby is being very kind to me,most of my finds have come from that very site as well as 2 other members i hunt with there.
I found it with the PrizmII and it ranged out in the zinc/ring/bottlecap zone....this is what the three Indian Heads i found so far pegged out at also.

zartan7779

Dec 3, 2006
new hampshire
Detector(s) used
a cheap $75.00 ebay one
i bet that pottery was very cool , was told they call it stoneware , i found a bunch of pieces in the woods the other day

grats on some cool finds

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Shawn, congrats to you on your first Flying Eagle penny! It looks great!! :o

I know what you mean about detecting all the way back to your car, just looking for one more signal to dig...I do it all the time. ;)
A Great hobby indeed!!

Hope you find some other goodies at your site.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Disciple

Feb 23, 2006
West Monroe, NY USA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Shawn .. i am still excited for you on the flying eagle. Just the look on your face when you pulled it out of the dirt is enough to know when you've found something nice! It cleaned up real nice. Well done Shawn.

♫ Valarie ♫

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Nice find. I have never seen one. Now I want to find one..lol :o

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
kevo said:
nice find...i'd throw it into some peroxide a bit more, looks like it will clean up very well.

No i dont want to chance peroxide..for me soaking it in olive/veg oil both work for a while the crud falls off with little or no needing to do anything other than rinse it in soap,warm water and dry it...it's pretty clean after soaking over night and it has lil to no crud and a green patina on it ...I think i will leave it like that.

My pics dont do it justice at all,and if i can get some better pics of it i will post them as an update

thanks
Shawn

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UnEarthed72 said:
kevo said:
nice find...i'd throw it into some peroxide a bit more, looks like it will clean up very well.

No i dont want to chance peroxide..for me soaking it in olive/veg oil both work for a while the crud falls off with little or no needing to do anything other than rinse it in soap,warm water and dry it...it's pretty clean after soaking over night and it has lil to no crud and a green patina on it ...I think i will leave it like that.

My pics dont do it justice at all,and if i can get some better pics of it i will post them as an update

thanks
Shawn

Excactly apart from the oil bit :)

OP
OP
UnEarthed72

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
CRUSADER said:
UnEarthed72 said:
kevo said:

thanks
Shawn

Are you saying that you would put it in peroxide?...i think thats how i read it

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
UnEarthed72 said:
kevo said:

thanks
Shawn

First, OUTSTANDING!! I have an approximate idea of how you felt when you dug up that beauty. I found an 1858 'fleagle' earlier this year. Was it kinda fun when you saw the sideways birdie and "1857"??

I put mine into olive oil before reading how-to's from people about peroxide. Once you put them in oil, I've read that peroxide isn't effective. And I'm not sure I dare to risk my 1800's copper coins with peroxide anyway.

If you have a digital camera, get the brightest light you can shining on the coin from above & slightly off to one side. Set your camera for Macro and Suppressed Flash; shoot from 6 inches away and hold the cam steady if you don't have a stand for it. Your pics will have good detail.
I'll attach a recent pic of my 1858 to demonstrate (I beg your pardon for putting it in your thread, I think it's value-added to illustrate the photography text). I get good detail, but I don't have enough light to show the fine brown color.
I'll be on the lookout for any further pics of your fine 1857.

CONGRATULATIONS and Welcome to the Fleagle Club! Ain't life grand?

Attachments

• 1858 Flying Eagle Cent Composite.jpg
    1858 Flying Eagle Cent Composite.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 296

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UnEarthed72 said:
CRUSADER said:
UnEarthed72 said:
kevo said:

thanks
Shawn

Are you saying that you would put it in peroxide?...i think thats how i read it

Nope, water & thats it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread