Talking to people in the area really works- Cool spot and a forgotten cemetary

B

Bev

So I was driving up and down a semi-rural road yesterday just trying to catch something interesting and as I came out of a dead end road, I notice a guy across the street standing in his driveway giving me what I thought was the evil eye. I thought, great, this guy's gonna call a cop on me. So I tackled it head on and drove right up to him. Used my big stupid grin then told him I wasn't looking for trouble, just a place to metal detect. Come to find out he was just admiring my Jeep (I have a restored 1979 AMC/Jeep 2 door Cherokee) Anyway, we started chatting and he told me that down the road there was a store and gas station in the woods that shut down in the 40's or 50's. I went to scout out the location to see if it was worth finding the owner and sure enough, there really was about 3-4 foundations, old big trees, a beautiful dry creek bed, bottle dumps, etc. I only stayed about 10 minutes but definitely one to get permission to check out. (Good shot at getting permission- I went to school with the guy that owns 88 acres of land!)
On the way out, I noticed a stone sticking up, then noticed two more in a perfect row next to it. They were almost completely buried. I thought, no way. I swept away some debris and it was a grave stone that had barely legible initials and was dated, "D July 9 1776". I don't know why I was in such awe, maybe because it was unexpected and I was a little sad that these people were just out there forgotten.
If I can get permission, I'll bring my camera along. Maybe he can give me some history and I can find out the family name eventually!

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The store and gas station area sounds promiseing. Good luck!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck, I smell a Merck coming your way:thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a weedeater along! The places others missed because the weeds were too long will "reap" rewards. Oh, I love this stuff! TTC

OP
OP
B

Bev

I have to say that except for the beach once in a while, I have never-ever seen anyone metal detecting. I don't think it's very popular here where I am so I guess I'm pretty lucky! This particular area doesnt need too much weed wacking but it's a great idea for sure!

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
Take a weedeater along! The places others missed because the weeds were too long will "reap" rewards. Oh, I love this stuff! TTC

Funny you mention taking a weed wacker cause I was planning to do that when I go looking for celler hoes.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NoNeck said:
TerryC said:

Funny you mention taking a weed wacker cause I was planning to do that when I go looking for celler hoes.
The weedeater idea goes back a little ways. Actually, two "old farts", long past their prime, were brainstorming one day, trying to think of ideas no one else has tried. Both were almost deaf so they had to shout. One asked, "What can I take along to up my chances tomorrow"? His partner replied, "Take Wee Eaterman (another club member)with you". So the next day he stopped at Ace and bought a weedeater, man. (that's what I heard, anyways) TTC

OP
OP
B

Bev

:laughing9:
That story is awesome!
I didnt get to go see my old friend from school yet but possibly today. I'll leave my card with a note. He's going to call me back all ready to tell me he doesnt want to sell it, etc since I'm a Realtor, so he's going to be surprised when I say DON'T! (unless he sells it to me!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread