TALLYO site gives up a 1787 New Jersey Copper

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I made my third trip to the homestead that I found the TALLYO cufflinks at. I was determined to break my mini large copper drought (since November) and was devoting the entire hunt to just that one homestead, instead of the usual, exploring afterwards for more.

I started out good with another Tombac button, but this one had no design, and then a couple very old spoon handle pieces and all of this was coming on the south side of the open area of the homestead that was frozen solid on the previous hunts.

I finally got a very high tone signal and the crosshairs on the Explorer were far upper right, so I knew I finally had a chance for an old copper. I never checked the depth reading, but usually my first step before digging is clearing away the leaf litter debris at the spot I have the reading and then pinpoint and dig. Well, after I kicked away the leaf mulch, where I did my initial pinpointing on the target, there now was no reading! Shooo, I know I was not imagining it (thinking to myself) and put the detector over the debris that I kicked away. I had the reading again. :) But, that means it was almost a surface target and perhaps just a quarter dropped by a hunter. :(

Believe it or not, that reading gave me trouble, I kept picking up clumps of leaf mulch and had trouble locating the coin. Then I looked down and there laying on the ground was a LARGE COPPER!

I was pleasantly surprised it was not a clad coin and now wondered if I previously dug this coin on one of my first two hunts, when I had to hack with the axe for some readings and had to give up on them due to frozen ground, but I do not remember any readings that were of the high tone coin type........ So perhaps a previous hunter years ago, unearthed it and never found it, just don't know. The bad news is, I think a coin lying unearthed now deteriorates at a faster clip, so I did not know what I had at the time, as it was thoroughly encrusted in dirt.

I called the wife then and told her I was happy to get my first old copper of the year and by the size I was thinking it was a worn out KGII copper or Draped Bust Large Cent.

I continued hunting, found a buckle and a large , old, not sure how old but a nice rusted dinner knife, which could be period for the homestead and assuming it is.

I ended up with two buttons, the buckle, the knife and the NJ coppers so overall, not a bad hunt.

As I was walking back to my truck I took the coin out of the folder and now that it dried some, I could see some detail! I had a SHIELD, so I knew right away it was a New Jersey copper, and a large planchet one to boot......

My glee was somewhat diminished upon cleaning it, the ground did take its toll on the coin, all the details are there, and I easily identified the variety as a very common Maris 64-t variety. The coin was pock marked with corrosion, which might have been attributed to being in the leaf mulch, which is highly acidic. Anyway, very happy to get another New Jersey to add to my state copper collection.

Don

Attachments

• Semi-SurfaceFind.jpg
    Semi-SurfaceFind.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 737
  • coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 742
  • NJ1.jpg
    NJ1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 730
  • NJ2.jpg
    NJ2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 742
  • Site231Feb11thfinds.jpg
    Site231Feb11thfinds.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 744
Upvote 0

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Re: TALLYO site gives up a New Jersey Copper

congrats Don! I still need to find my first 1700's coin. You are kicking butt there in NJ. Throw some of that luck into the wind so it comes north to me!

Funkman

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac

WTG! Congrats on the NJ copper. :thumbsup: One day I'll find one. Maybe I'll be able to start some poking around this weekend. The snow has been melting quite nicely this week.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

VERY NICE FIND !! :o That one is at the top of my wish list.

TommNJ

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Nice coin!!! Haven't broke 1848 myself here in Mo. My brother has an 1835. Both L.C.'s

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Very nice coin. :thumbsup: Hoping on a 1700's one of these days.

Thanks for sharing

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I think that NJ copper cleaned up very nicely. :thumbsup: What more can you ask for from a 222 year old coin. So how many buttons so far this year? Great adventure Don! Thanks for taking us along.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW nice coin and looks great. :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice Don. Went on a ride to NY today for parts for my business. With any luck I'll be detecting in a couple weeks over there. They have almost no snow at all. Congrats.....Hogge

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find ..........i love those nj coppers , theres so many kind out there .....i only found 2 in my 8 years of detecting ........and one of those i gave to my hunting buddy .

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Don. I found one last November. I think yours is in a little better shape. I could read the date and make out most of the writings. I thought mine was a KGII at first look. I did not clean it too much in the field, thank goodness.

Ed D.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Don :o I was thinking it may have been a copper you dug before and accidentally dropped out of your pouch. :D Very strong date on the coin. I would be pleased with that one. The Maris 63-s I found last year had a weak date.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your NJ Colonial. I found a copper on the surface that I suspect was a NJ Colonial a number of years back. It was in much worse shape than yours, so you are lucky! Pinpointing those surface finds can sometimes be tricky. If you can lower the pinpoint sensitivity on the Minelab, it may be easier to pinpoint on the very shallow targets.

Do you think you will be able to ID the variety on this one?

Congrats again!
Neil

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Congrats on your NJ Colonial. I found a copper on the surface that I suspect was a NJ Colonial a number of years back. It was in much worse shape than yours, so you are lucky! Pinpointing those surface finds can sometimes be tricky. If you can lower the pinpoint sensitivity on the Minelab, it may be easier to pinpoint on the very shallow targets.

Do you think you will be able to ID the variety on this one?

Congrats again!
Neil

Detail wise the coin is excellent and I did Identify it and it is stated in the last paragraph of my post. I would Never ever worry about lowering sens for pinpointing anything, what happened with that coin was a rarity. I usually have my Sunray installed but the weight lately has been a pain, so it was the first hunt without using it this late winter. But, even that would not have helped find it, since it was not buried.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread