Tampa wreck found

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been watching this on the news. It's been very interesting, and a great bit of history.

The odd part, for me anyhow, is that they intend to leave it in the river, rotting in the mud. One day none of it will be left.

I would have liked to see this raised, and put on display somewhere. Its a great part of our history that will be allowed to eventually just vanish forever.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
GuyInBack said:
I've been watching this on the news. It's been very interesting, and a great bit of history.

The odd part, for me anyhow, is that they intend to leave it in the river, rotting in the mud. One day none of it will be left.

I would have liked to see this raised, and put on display somewhere. Its a great part of our history that will be allowed to eventually just vanish forever.

Yeah raising it would be ideal, but if the funding isn't available, the archies would rather it "rot intact" than recover portions of it for preservation. Freakin' makes my stomach turn thinking about it.

Pcola

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
uh folks -- the rebel blockade runners --- the kate dale (schooner) and the scottish cheif (steamer) were both rumored to be packing gold on board them (in iron boxes bolted under the capts beds )--- for payment for the next batch of goods to be smuggled from abroad and the capts personal stash of cash (as well as possibly the cattle money which might have still been on board -- its was loaded overseas for the trip to florida --it came from english backers to pay for much needed florida cattle -- by late 1863 the florida cattle dealers insisted on gold or silver for payment unwillling to take anymore confederate "paper" money (that way no matter which way the war went they would be ok--money wize)--the local area fort was the gathering spot for cattle to be sold to the confederate army and then be driven north for shipment )-- both vessels the kate dale and the scottish cheif were burnt in a raid by union troops on Oct 16th, 1863 -- thus the wrecks sites should be somewhat close to one another)-- the union troops came by boat ( the union steamers TAHOMA and the ADELIA ) they landed a bit away and then snuck upon upon the rebel vessels while most of there crews were ashore and attacked the vessels driving off their skeleton crews and taking over them breifly -- a swarm of local rebel troops counter attacked -- the union troops not being able to "steal away the vessels", set fire to them (the next best thing in their veiw) and fell back -- the earlier fleeing confederates did not have time to remove any gold aboard them and the union troops did not have enough time to search and get the gold off either -- the vessels fires were too strong to be put out ---nothing was said in the records of any gold recovered by union troops --but there was a note of loss of gold in confederate notes -- the confederates thought the union troops took it -- but no so according to the record * (unless it was taken by the union troops and not reported just "pocketed" doubtful in my veiw --cuz there was just too many men that if you were carrying a sack of gold around would see you--- thus too many eyes to see and mouths to talk )--so there is a decent chance that in the wreckage of those vessels is iron box / chest with gold / silver coinage money in them -- Ivan

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Good point Ivan.

We will never know what was actually found at the site as it's closed and off limits to non government sanctioned folks. I guess you have to be on the inside circle to know what was truly located there. They have been working the site for quite some time now.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I've known the general info for quite some time now --- I was just never able to do anything with it / ie -- get someone after itover the years --pity-- the real shame is most likely we'll never know just what was actually there now that the "offical" crew has the site it will all be "hush hush" I'm sure ---Ivan

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep tabs on the "offical" crew.And see if they all retire early from thier jobs at the aquarium.Then you will know that they found treasure.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
a good while we had a local police officer that dived -often on the alvaradooff of amelia island (confederate blockade runner -- sank by union forces during the civil war ) one day he just up and left town ---no forwarding address or anything he just "left" -- there were reports that the vessel was carrying 50,000 in gold coins at the time of her sinking in an iron chest --- a empty old type large iron box was found in the garage of where he used to live in a rented house after he left according to some folks. :wink:

P

paddy.mick

THAT's the way one does it, any other way is foolishness.

Waiting for my "up and leave" occasion.
Pat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread