Tantalite readings for metal detector

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from a dig in Nova Scotia and we found a lot of stones that keep messing up our detectors, can you help. The gray stones stick to magnets but when I place my Bounty Hunter over them it shows 199 for gold and silver. Yet magnets don't stick to gold and silver. Could this find be Tantalite :icon_scratch: a rare earth metal found in China . I crushed a smaller gray stone down and all of it stucked to a magnet , I thought just the iron would jump up and leave the rest behind. Help. I know what tantalite looks like but what does it read on a detector.:BangHead:

Attachments

• Tantalite 1.JPG
    Tantalite 1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 291
  • tantalite 2.JPG
    tantalite 2.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 206
  • tantalite 3.JPG
    tantalite 3.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 228
  • tantalite 4.JPG
    tantalite 4.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about magnetite? Have you considered it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will check it for magnetite , Tantalite was mined in the same area we found this but not sure if it is Tantalite. We did get a stone with Peridot in it and some of what we have has white chunks or lines in it. All of the stones stick to a magnet and the detector goes off on them. Thank You

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions