target Id

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what your asking have you actually tested this on your 800?

On the 600 a modern penny is 21 and a quarter is 30. I just walked out to my truck to verify it is the same on a shield penny as well.

If your talking about in real hunting conditions I have seen it happen. A modern quarter is like 91% copper so it would be pretty close to an older penny.

It is also well documented that the mint has used a number of different alloy mixtures on pennies over the years. It wouldn't surprise me if one of these was close to our modern quarters.

That is my best guess?

Actually I will do some more testing today because now I'm curious as well to see what pennies around the early 1980's might show up as versus 90, 2000, etc..

Last edited:

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my focus is strictly coinshooting, I notch out 21 to save my back and knees from having to dig a ton of worthless zincolns. I've never seen a dime or quarter at 21, though I have occasionally seen a zinc register higher...but infrequently.

It also is altruistic by leaving the zincolns still in the ground for the neophytes and kids to find with their $60 Entry-level machines! :tongue3:

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I skip 21 at the local parks and tot lots as well. I usually skip nickels as well if I'm limited on time and I usually am. I haven't quite figured out how to notch out targets on the 600 yet though.

fuceye

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I skip 21 at the local parks and tot lots as well. I usually skip nickels as well if I'm limited on time and I usually am. I haven't quite figured out how to notch out targets on the 600 yet though.

you just use a marker and circle the 21 spot on the graph....works like a charm....best thing is you won't loose your settings when you reset your 600...:laughing7:

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very easy. Six clicks on the Settings Button will put you in Accept/Reject. You will see -9 on the screen. That's the Lowest notch and it is already notched out through 0. Just click the + button and it will cycle through each number. When you get to a number you want to notch out, just click the Accept/Reject button. The black indicator on the circle will disappear and you have notched it out. Continue with the + button until you have notched out all the numbers you want.
Example: You want to notch out 21: Click the settings button six times. Then click the + button repeatedly until you get to 21, then click the Accept/Reject button. Done!
If you want to reengage those notched out numbers, just cycle to that number and click the Accept/Reject button again.
This is a LOCAL setting, and will have to be done for each program, depending on how you want that program set up.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fuceye & SittingElf I just did this on my lunch hour and it worked like a champ at the park!I still hit some 22/23 a couple were pennies but there was a least 1 dime close to that as well.

In 45 minutes I dug 10 dimes & 1 quarter from a park that I have hit at lunch time for the last 2 years. I've been leaving a lot of dimes behind.

There is probably a ton of nickels but I don't have time to dig every 13-15 I come across at this modern park anyway.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tasmorn sorry to hijack your thread but before I used the Equinox I used a Fisher F22 the spread between a penny, dime, and quarter was only about 10 VDI from 62-72 62/63 penny (I think) 68 dime 72 Quarter on a scale of 0 -100.

I will say the F22 was usually very accurate if there was no other target close to the coin and the depth ID was spot on, but the F22 was only good to about 4-6" for most targets.

My theory is at sensitivity 20 we are seeing much more depth and possibly more than 1 target. I would suggest running sensitivity at 15-18 for a spell and see if that helps with target ID on Quarters.

OP
OP
T

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries... I was at a trashy park.. had a target close to quarter range.. was 2 zinc pennies.. when air testing they came up as pennies.. in the hole was higher... Thanks all for the input.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The combined target probably looked like a more conductive single target to the detector.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait until you get some salt on a Zincoln or a corroded Zincoln or Zincoln with a hole in it the target ID is all over the place on those. But before you say AHHH it happens on other detectors too.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks fuceye & SittingElf I just did this on my lunch hour and it worked like a champ at the park!I still hit some 22/23 a couple were pennies but there was a least 1 dime close to that as well.

In 45 minutes I dug 10 dimes & 1 quarter from a park that I have hit at lunch time for the last 2 years. I've been leaving a lot of dimes behind.

There is probably a ton of nickels but I don't have time to dig every 13-15 I come across at this modern park anyway.

Eman, don't know if this helps but I so far have found that nickels hit 12-13. If any go up to 15 it tends to be trash. You can also switch over to ALL METAL mode (the horseshoe button) and scan the target again. If you get any negative VDI numbers then its trash, if the VDI stays positive, I have found it to be a good target more often than not. By skipping over nickel VDIs you could be passing up the chance to land yourself a nice ring...would hate for that to happen when doing a quick 2 second change to ALL METAL and rescan will let you know whether to dig or not.

Hope that helps.
TwoYewts

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some times you will get a penny in a quarter hole and find the penny instead of the quarter. This morning I had 2 quarters one nickel and a penny in the same hole. The penny was above the quarter but when I got the signal 29 was dominant but I got a flash of 23 two or three times. When dug my plug the penny was the 1st coin and at first I thought darn but the I pinpointed again and found the 2 quarters and the nickel.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The NOX target ID is one weakness and big disappointment for me. Memorials coming in above 26 makes cherry picking a park tough; and no there weren't other coins or metal in the hole or around it.

It does find stuff, but often you will have no idea on what it is for sure before digging. The call between dimes and pennies is a guessing game at times; quarter sometime into the dime range.

Wish it had a larger spread. The Deus in 8k does not often fool me on ID; but the NOX in some situations will give a better alert that something is there to dig.

I have some fairly well mineralized soil and most of the spring it has been very wet; so that may be skewing the results I have observed.

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My theory is at sensitivity 20 we are seeing much more depth and possibly more than 1 target. I would suggest running sensitivity at 15-18 for a spell and see if that helps with target ID on Quarters.
Yep, this is what I've found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread