Target poor environment

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In spite of the 24º temperatures and flurries I got out. Just a quick hunt beside the garden. Had a hit that tested the volume limiter circuit on my Black Widows and still lifted them off my head. BAcking off the coil I was "air testing" 18" off the ground! Turned out to be half of an aluminum pie plate (prior owners probably tied it to a fence to scare birds and mice out of the garden).

Found a shotshell brass for an old Peter High Gun (paper case) shotshell. Kind of sort of old. That was about 4" down.

The wad of lead is a shotgun slug. Pretty heavily oxidized - backside is thick white. Similar depth.

The big chunk is the tip of a tractor driven tiller blade. That one probably raised some choice words from Farmer Stevens or his pappy who used to own the land. 3" deep. I've located some footstool sized rocks in the parts I've plowed and no doubt there is one really close to where that lay.

Less than an hour and my piddies were complaining so I packed it in. STill, it was a hunt.

Attachments

• IM000893.JPG
    IM000893.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IM000894.JPG
    IM000894.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 298
  • petershighgun.jpg
    petershighgun.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0

dieharddigger

Dec 1, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/E-Trac
Peters was in business from 1887 to 1934. Remington,Peters and U.M.C were all swallowed up by Dupont and called Remington Arms Co. Cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread