Targets Always 12 OClock, Not Center?

RangerGal1

Greenie
Sep 17, 2011
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro
Targets Always 12 O'Clock, Not Center?

One question: I'm noticing that my targets always seem to be at the 12 o'clock position of the hole I've dug. I keep diggin, checkin, diggin, and then finally the target turns out to be just on the topside of the hole.
Am I digging wrong? Should I be looking to the top of my coil for the target? I always thought after doing the X and a little pumping that it should be under the middle of the coil. I have a Black Max 950 coil. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Targets Always 12 O'Clock, Not Center?

You need to practice pinpointing targets under a newspaper. Some coils sweet spot is more toward the toe (head) of the coil. And you shouldn't be digging at all, only for deep targets. Use a screw driver to probe for the coin first and you can pop it out. Saves time.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Learning where the target is under your coil is always the first assigment with a new rig. Best use of air tests available. Get good at it, from a few inches up to 6 or 7 inches above an air test target.

Just hate to see people digging 6" round plugs for coins that are 2 or 3 inches deep. Get a pinpointer if you can, saves a great deal of time on recoveries and gets you to the next target faster.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a detector that would pinpoint off center if the sensitivity was too high.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

here's how it works! You start to pick up the signal,when moving forward, at 12 o'clock. It gets stronger as you hit the center of the coil and then it slowly tapers off to the rear of the coil. This is with a concentric coil. If you have built in pinpointing, you will see it in the dept numbers.
When I pinpoint, I move the coil forward till I hear the signal. I mark the ground. I repeate this from the other side of the target. The target is between the two marks. Do the sides, if need be.
The practice with a coin on the ground is a good idea until you know your detector. Frank

PS: double D coils work better pinpointing from the sides of the coil.
: PI coils only pickup under the solid part of the coil. the open center does not pickup.
pinpoint these coils with the edge method.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Rangergal , here's tips for the beach. Check the tide charts for low tide, then hunt the waterline. also if there is a trough or low area that the water washes over, it acts like a gold dredge. If you want coins, hunt the entrance areas on the beach, but if you want jewelry, hunt the waterline.

Frank

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I just finished reading this post, Thanks for some great information

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread