Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my wife to the doctor yesterday afternoon and decided to wait in the car as it was a nice sunny day. While I was waiting I noticed a steady stream of young teenage school kids crossing on the grass at the back of the parking lot, apparentlly just getting out of school. There was a well worn path through the grass there. I remembered my detector was in the trunk of the car so a light bulb went on over my head! I made o slow pass about twenty feet long along either side and on top of the footpath and hit one coin after another. In about 45 min. I picked up $1.22 in clad, a few pull tabs and this melted piece of some kind of metal. I make it a point to try to always have a detector with me as you never know when an opportunity will present itself. Monty

Attachments

• Resize of DSC00516.JPG
    Resize of DSC00516.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 481
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty,

after saying, two or three times, "wish I had my detector", I do the same now.

Always looking.

have a good un...........

M

mchamby

Good deal Monty an oppurtunity taken. Thats a nice find for a hour of your time. Keep up the finds. ;)
Mchamby

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't leave your detector or any gear powered by batteries in the car trunk overnight if it's cold! Left mine in last night and it got down in the 20s. Eavery darn battery I had is dead or nearly dead! Had to replace camera batteries to make this post! Monty

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good observation Monty!

I'll bet the wife wasn't too surprised when she came back to the car only to find you out diggin! :D

Congrats on your finds...

;)

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say I have a very nice white 6000DI that is in the closet because I left it in my truck. It was only 100 degrees that week. Surprise it doesn't work any more. :'( :'( But then I am an idiot. Burdie

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always keep it handy,you never know,keep diggin!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're as sly as a fox, Monty.?

Burdie said:
I was going to say I have a very nice white 6000DI that is in the closet because I left it in my truck. It was only 100 degrees that week. Surprise it doesn't work any more. :'( :'(? But then I am an idiot. Burdie

Have you seen if White's can repair it, Burdie?? I left my DFX in the car overnight last week and it got below freezing.? :-[? My pinpoint function wasn't working well the next day.? :'(? I haven't used it since.....I hope it's working again.

P

Paul R.

That melted "blob" looks like something that would be left after doing a "lost wax" casting to make a piece of jewelry.

Just a thought.

Paul

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My detector go's to work with me Monty,and everywhere else for that matter.The day's are getting longer so I can afford to pull off the side of the road now if time allow's.HH...oh yeah,thank's for the tip...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde3,
It just wants to go hunting! How many times have you seen the post, " learn to communicate with your detector, or listen to what it's telling you"? It's simply saying, "Take me hunting"! ;D Monty

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
rtde3 said:
Burdie said:
I was going to say I have a very nice white 6000DI that is in the closet because I left it in my truck. It was only 100 degrees that week. Surprise it doesn't work any more. :'( :'( But then I am an idiot. Burdie

I left my first detector in my garage (no heat) during the winter & now the thing beeps all the time! You can hold it up it the air & move around and it beeps! Must be picking up a satellite!

I have an old Whites 5900 Di Pro that I bought in the mid 80's this was before the SL version. It is similar to the 6000. Mine is blue and has the coil rod on the bottom of the case. I always store it with the batteries out of it. About a year after I bought it the darn thing was turned on and it just beeped while holding the coil in the air and the meter was constanly pegged at the top of the scale. It sounded like it was detecting iron nails out of thin air. I sent it back to Whites and they diagnosed the problem as a bad (open) coil. I had only used it for less than 10 hours total time. Since it was then out of warranty they replaced the coil (and charged me for it). It has been working ever since.

However, after it had been sitting in the basement for about 4 or 5 years I decided to fire it up this year and go out looking again. After a couple of weeks of using it, one day it had the same symptoms. I have always used a protective coil cover and have never abused the unit. I couldn't imagine that with such little use that I would have 2 bad coils in a row. Since the case was put together with screws and it isn't like the newer stuff that is plastic and breaks when you take it apart, I decided to look inside. I found that the old 5900 model has two circuit boards that were joined together with a single row connector that had about 40 pins (.10" spacing). These pins and connector are not gold plated. Being in the electronics business for many years I thought that maybe some surface corrosion might have caused some intermittent connections. So - - - I separated the boards and reconnected them which bunished the contacts in the connector. I put it back together and like magic it worked just like it was new again.

I remember working at a computer repair place many years ago and the top of the line computer at that time was an Apple III. It weighed about 20 pounds and the case was cast metal. The IC chips were in non-gold plated sockets. When someone brought it in because it wasn't working the first thing we tried was to set it on the desk, pick up the front of it about 4 inches and drop it. That would re-seat most of the chips in the sockets and the system would start working again. ( DON"T TRY THIS WITH YOUR METAL DETECTOR! )

Bottom line is if you can take the case apart and reseat connections without many problems (like the old 5900 or 6000 series) then give it a try. BUT be careful as Whites made some modifications to my unit when it went back for its only repair trip. I did find some very fine wire wrap wires soldered in places between the two boards. Make sure you don't break or rearrange the placement of any of these. It could affect the perfomance. If you are not sure of your troubleshooting skills then PLEASE have a qualified tech look at it. It's still cheaper to send it back to Whites for a repair than it is to buy a new one. I kind of track the 5900 and 6000's that come up for sale on Ebay and even if they are 20 years old they still go for $300.00 and up.

Regards,
Glenn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread