Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friends of ours live just up the road. She is always asking me what I find, and such. In the winter I told her when spring hits I would let her use my ATP and come along for a dig. She was ecstatic!

We planned for today, then she called last night and said she forgot it was her anniversary today, but she still wanted to go early. She came over about 9:00am and I showed her the basics on the machine and we headed out.

It's fun watching someone detect for the first time, the sore arm, being overwhelmed with noise, trying to locate a target. She was getting discouraged until she recovered her first coin, a 1946 Wheatie! She also managed to find a nice two centimetre crotal bell. I dug the 1888 IH cent. She was pumped, and I could see the gleam of addiction in her eye.

Her husband came home from work, saw us and came over. He wanted to try, dug some junk, and said "this is fun!". Then they went to feed their kids lunch and wait for her parents to come watch the kids so they could have some alone time on their anniversary.

I carried on and found the large cent, I'm pretty happy as I don't often dig them. Then she messaged and asked if they could take the ATPro for the afternoon out into the country and try a spot he thought would be good, I said for sure.

They are spending their anniversary alone time metal detecting haha! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457902219.221825.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457902252.569673.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457902280.868281.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457902310.044747.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457902331.162713.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds and good job on lending the machine for them to try a hunt for the first time! [emoji106]

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That certainly was what this sport is all about.Those two won't quit now that you have them started.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least they like and may do it together. My wife said I ruined it for her when I got "obsessed"! Haha

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish US coins from 1919 looked as big and cool as Canadian ones! Sweet finds and that's awesome you took the time to show your pals how it's done!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice story and finds. So cool that she got a crotal her first time out. You're a generous person

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least they like and may do it together. My wife said I ruined it for her when I got "obsessed"! Haha

I've heard the same thing from my wife lol

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish US coins from 1919 looked as big and cool as Canadian ones! Sweet finds and that's awesome you took the time to show your pals how it's done!

Thus is only my 4th or 5th Canadian large since 2010. Usually if I'm going to find a penny from 1919, it's going to be a wheatie, and I have buckets of those. I agree with you, the old Canadian large cents are good looking, I love the vine and leaf pattern!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story and finds. So cool that she got a crotal her first time out. You're a generous person

I said "you found a crotal bell!!", she says "that's good right?!", I said "yes, that's very good!". All the while I was wondering how the hell I missed it the 100 times I had been detecting there before haha. It was cool to see someone else excited about a find.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That certainly was what this sport is all about.Those two won't quit now that you have them started.

I hope you're right. Now I won't be the only dirt digging lunatic in town!

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the injun.
Her husband came home and ruined the fun eh?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you've done it, training your competition. :coffee2: Finds are going to be scarce once the couple get serious about the hobby. Kudos to you for being neighborly and teaching the basics. :bronzetrophy: Hopefully they will bring you along on some future permissions.

You are a great ambassador for the hobby. :notworthy:

GL & HH

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story. At least they did not outdo You by finding something better. The last time I took a beginner he made a beeline for a very trashy area of the site that was a dump and was nothing but aluminum cans. I was on my way over to tell him not to waste his time he'll go crazy digging garbage and he found a coin spill with three Flying Eagles a fatty Indian and a 2 cent piece. And then had the nerve to act disappointed because the coins were corroded. Thank God I made some kind of come back with a civil war rifleman's button. But I know I never would have found that spill because I was avoiding that area.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story. Maybe they went out and bought each other new machines for there anniversary. Good job on the finds too

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great thread JC. It is great that they have found something they enjoy doing together. They may blame you though once the addiction really kicks in:laughing7:

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you've done it, training your competition. :coffee2: Finds are going to be scarce once the couple get serious about the hobby. Kudos to you for being neighborly and teaching the basics. :bronzetrophy: Hopefully they will bring you along on some future permissions.

You are a great ambassador for the hobby. :notworthy:

GL & HH

Finds are already scarce around here, especially as far as old coins go. The ones I do still find are deep or surrounded by junk. I have detected everything nearly to death lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread