Tax Question

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really depends on the Terms (Guarantee) set by the accountant/agency, the same Terms the consumer agreed to by having them do their taxes. Read the fine print.

My personal opinion is that the agency should be on the hook for any interest and penalties incurred due to their errors and the taxpayer should be responsible for the original tax burden. If the information furnished by the taxpayer contained errors or omissions then the taxpayer should be liable for all of it.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but if the tax agency errored on the adding or subtracting in the paper work. This amount sum due other than interest and penaltys, would this be the responsiblity of the tax agency?

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cant answer your question, but i agree with DTP.
Personally i dont use those HR Block type accountants.
I use a 30+ year local accountant, he is more experienced and less expensive.
Those kiosk type accountants, sometimes dont know their a** from a hole in the wall.
... I think they should be liable for interest and penalties, if you presented all of your information correctly when they did your taxes. Sounds like you are in for a small battle with the IRS and HR Block.
Only things certain in life are death and taxes.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never use them but, according to H&R Block's standard guarantee, a person is covered if penalty and interest charges are assessed due to H&R Block's error, H&R Block will pay those penalties and interest on federal, state and local returns.

That being said unless you (or whomever) purchased the "Peace of Mind Extended Service Plan" then you (or whomever) will have to pay the actual extra monies due.

In short without the additional service plan they offer, you pay for the original underpaid amount and they pay for the penalties and interest incurred because of it.

Here- http://www.hrblock.com/offices/tax-services-peace-of-mind-service-plan.html

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I would never use them but, according to H&R Block's standard guarantee, a person is covered if penalty and interest charges are assessed due to H&R Block's error, H&R Block will pay those penalties and interest on federal, state and local returns.

That being said unless you (or whomever) purchased the "Peace of Mind Extended Service Plan" then you (or whomever) will have to pay the actual extra monies due.

In short without the additional service plan they offer, you pay for the original underpaid amount and they pay for the penalties and interest incurred because of it.

Here- http://www.hrblock.com/offices/tax-services-peace-of-mind-service-plan.html
Thank You!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I went to H&R Block one time and they screwed up my taxes. :angry5: Never again! For years I had a retired City Clerk do my taxes until she stopped. Now I go to a Local Book Keeper that handles several business accounts and for $75, she does my taxes and I always get back at least a $1000 in return. :hello2: That's what's paying for my Excalibur repair. Plus I belong to LegalShield formerly Pre-paid Legal Services and I paid $300 a year for their coverage which is taken off my taxes but should I ever be audited then I have a tax attorney on retainer. :read2: It's handy to in case anyone tries to sue you. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'll stand by my H&R Block lady, she absolutely knows what she's doing.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger said:
Well, I'll stand by my H&R Block lady, she absolutely knows what she's doing.

Doesn't really sound like it if she made a mistake that is causing the IRS to come after you. :dontknow:

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She didn't; The irs made a mistake and my agent is going to clear it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread