Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started metal detecting last year and have had a lot of expenses buying equipment and mileage, picking up trash for the city, etc. What line on the tax form do I take my deduction?
Happy Hunting

What, ya i dont think you can claim ur hobby of detecting on ur taxes buddy pickin up the trash Is part of the hobby. If that was the case everyone would have brand new machines & equipment

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I think you can. I believe you need to show a profit X years out of Y. You'll have to declare your profits too, you know, so count up all those nickels, dime, and zinc cents!:laughing7:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh ok then, definetly news to me i thought like other things its a hobby no ones making anyone buy equipment or Drive anywhere or pick anything up

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

Sep 13, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, ACE 350, Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first syringe the other day, now that's hazard pay! Christo000, It's a J/K post. Although, I might want to hold out and see what Tom says.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first syringe the other day, now that's hazard pay! Christo000, It's a J/K post. Although, I might want to hold out and see what Tom says.

Oh no ur right thats hazzard ur puttin ur health at risk, but also you are right there Seems to be certain ways you can claim what ur doin, I honestly never heard it but, hey learn somethin each day right

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark has it right, you have to show profit 3 years I believe it is, then you can write off the equipment! Section 179 deductions are great though! bigger write off in the first year acquired!
Also I believe that makes you self employed, and responsible to pay all your own taxes, and not to mention the extra schedules and forms you get to fill out, Fun stuff! Might get to deduct the vehicle too if it's used 50% or more of the time in your business!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your self employed I believe you have to file quarterly. Or pay fines.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you try to file hobby expenses, you better go buy a gallon a vasoline because you're gonna need it during the audit after you throw that giant red-flag out there.

I'm not saying it can't be done (because I am doing it) but you better know EXACTLY what is allowed and isn't, and you should probably have a professional tax preparer doing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread