Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
Cubfan64 said:
the blindbowman said:
Cubfan64 said:
stay safe stay free

Yah, that's what I thought

have you ever found anyting?

Let me show you how easy this is - took me all of 5 minutes and I don't have photoshop on this computer...

The best documented and most searched-for Wisconsin outlaw cache is the suit- case containing $200,000 in currency that John Dillinger buried in the woods behind the Little Bohemia Lodge on Star Lake in 1934. When Federal agents learned that Dillinger and his gang had taken over the Little Bohemia, they mobilized a strike force which quickly closed off three sides of the Lodge. The lakeside, however, was left unguarded. Worse yet, the jumpy G-men mistook Eugene Boisoneau and John Hoffman, two workers from a nearby CCC camp, for members of the gang and opened fire on them as they left the Lodge. Boisoneau was killed, Hoffman was badly wounded, and the outlaws were alerted to the impending ambush.

Dillinger slipped out the back window and hid the suitcase in the woods. In the ensuing confusion the gang split up and escaped along the lake shore, killing a Federal agent in the process. Dillinger himself was gunned down in Chicago, taking the secret of the location of the suitcase full of swag to his grave.

I grew up in Wisconsin and spent much of my life around the Little Bohemia Lodge - I found a suitcase one day full of these...

DillingerLoot.jpg

What's the matter? Isn't this proof enough??

your bill is the wrong series , it would have to be a series 1918 , your is not ...lol

your picture is a little blury . ...LOL

i think its your camera ...

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the blindbowman said:
Cubfan64 said:
stay safe stay free

Yah, that's what I thought

have you ever found anyting?

This game is so easily played...

Diversion

Definition: The act of drawing the attention and force of an enemy from the point where the principal attack is to be made; the attack, alarm, or feint which diverts.

Diversion
Definition: That which diverts; that which turns or draws the mind from care or study, and thus relaxes and amuses; sport; play; pastime; as, the diversions of youth.

And my favorite one here...

Diversion
Definition: an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates; "scuba diving is provided as a diversion for tourists"; "as a diversion he wrote poetry and solved crossword puzzles"; "drug abuse is often regarded as a form of recreation and diversion"

The only people who know what I've found are myself and my wife - Just because I'll be retiring at age 49 to a life of luxury when I've never made over $50K per year doesn't mean anything - or does it :wink:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

*sigh* and you don't even get the humor in the blurry photo :icon_scratch:

To everyone else, sorry to have DIVERTED this thread from it's course. I look forward to continuing to read some of the excellent information presented by folks like Oro & RDT and just ignore the "chaff."

My apologies - I should have taken this to PM,s.

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
1918: The 1915 Federal Reserve Bank Note was re-issued under series of 1918 by 4 Federal Reserve banks.
1923: The $10 United States Note was redesigned with a portrait of Andrew Jackson. Some of the design aspects of this note, such as the bottom border and numeral 10 overprinted with the word TEN, were transferred over to the series of 1928 $10 bill.

Small size note history
(6.14 × 2.61 in ≅ 156 × 66 mm)

1929: Under series of 1928, all U.S. currency was changed to its current size. All variations of the $10 bill would carry the same portrait of Alexander Hamilton, same border design on the obverse, and the same reverse with a vignette of the U.S. Treasury building. The $10 bill was issued as a Federal Reserve Note with a green seal and serial numbers and as a Gold Certificate with a golden seal and serial numbers. Contrary to popular belief, the car parked outside of the Treasury Department building is not a Ford Model T, but rather a composite of multiple cars of that era.
1933: As an emergency response to the Great Depression, additional money was pumped into the American economy through Federal Reserve Bank Notes. This was the only small-sized $10 bill that had a different border design on the obverse. The serial numbers and seal on it were brown.
1933: The first small sized $10 Silver Certificates were issued with a blue seal and serial numbers. The obverse had a similar design style to the 1928 $1 Silver Certificates; however, phrasing on the $10 bill was different from the $1 bill. This issue, with the series date of 1933, was not widely released into general circulation. Surviving examples of these notes usually sell for $10,000 to $30,000 in the numismatic community depending on the condition of the paper.
1934: The $10 Silver Certificate was redesigned with a blue numeral 10 on the left side of the obverse and the treasury seal printed over the gray word TEN on the right. Phrasing on the certificate was changed to reflect the Silver Purchase Act of 1934.
Special Issue Hawaii overprint $10 bill Obverse of the Series 2003 $10 bill Reverse of the Series 2003 $10 bill1934: The redeemable in gold clause was removed from Federal Reserve Notes due to the U.S. withdrawing from the gold standard.
1942: Special World War II currency was issued. HAWAII was overprinted on the front and back of the $10 Federal Reserve Note, and the seal and serial numbers were changed to brown. This was done so that the currency could be declared worthless in case of Japanese invasion. A $10 Silver Certificate was printed with a yellow instead of blue treasury seal; these notes were given to U.S. troops in North Africa. These notes, too, could be declared worthless if seized by the enemy.
1950: Many minor aspects on the obverse of the $10 Federal Reserve Note were changed. Most noticeably, the treasury seal, gray word TEN, and the Federal Reserve Seal were made smaller; also, the Federal Reserve seal had spikes added around it.
1953: The $10 silver certificate had several design changes analogous to the 1950 Federal Reserve Note design changes; also, the blue numeral 10 on the left side of the bill was changed to gray.
1963: WILL PAY TO THE BEARER ON DEMAND was removed from the obverse and IN GOD WE TRUST was added to the reverse of the 1963 Federal Reserve Notes. Also, the obligation was changed to its current wording, THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE.
1969: The $10 bill began using the new treasury seal with wording in English instead of Latin.
1990: The first modern anti-counterfeiting measures were introduced with microscopic printing around Hamilton's portrait and a plastic security strip on the left side of the bill.
May 24 2000: To combat evolving counterfeiting, a new $10 bill was issued under series 1999 whose design was similar in style to the $100, $50, and $20 bills that had all undergone previous design changes. The major changes were a revised portrait of Hamilton and a revised vignette of the U.S. Treasury building.
2001-2004: Various members of the United States Congress introduced bills that would replace the portrait of Hamilton with a portrait of Ronald Reagan. None of the bills were enacted.
The newest $10 bill entered circulation on March 2 2006. In addition to design changes introduced in 2000, the obverse features red background images of the Statue of Liberty's torch, the phrase WE THE PEOPLE from the United States Constitution, a smaller metallic representation of the Statue of Liberty's torch, orange and yellow background color, a border-less portrait of Hamilton, and to the left of Hamilton small yellow 10s whose zeros form the EURion constellation. The reverse features small yellow EURion 10s and have the fine lines removed from around the vignette of the United States Treasury building.

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
Cubfan64 said:

*sigh* and you don't even get the humor in the blurry photo :icon_scratch:

To everyone else, sorry to have DIVERTED this thread from it's course. I look forward to continuing to read some of the excellent information presented by folks like Oro & RDT and just ignore the "chaff."

My apologies - I should have taken this to PM,s.

I should have taken this to PM,s

are you crazy .....lol think of the rateings

excellent bill by the way . i did not say your bill was not a nice bill ..in fact i like the pre 20's , 30's up to about 41 to much collectors go nuts over war shit and mis the true history of the pre war eras...and yes i know the John Dillinger more then i wish i did my mothers birthday is the 22sd of july i never herd the end of it lol l every god damn year ...lol

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
You guys are too much fun.
Ok, the reason for the question about mica is that a recent archealogical find is that Aztec used mica in the while paint/plaster on the buildings, so they really did shine like jewels.
And... I love this... they have found a 'plate' of mica under the floors of many of the Temple's in Mexico. No one knows why, but isn't it interesting.

Oroblanco I think rock is prettier... mine is blue...
My uncle was a miner, collecting rocks with him was a fun. He also hunted artefacts... lots of controversy about that.
Unfortunately he was killed deep in a mine that he and his son were going down, a huge rock dislodged and crushed him in front of his son. His son and I go rock hunting a lot.
Anyway he gave me this rock, I like it. But I find things just by looking down, lol.
Janiece

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Ok... sorry your rock is prettier Oro.

Where can I go look at the talk about Vikings?
thank you
Janiece

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
HOLA amigos,

Ed T wrote:

Hey Oro,

I found a hotel that charges between $37 and $46 dollars a day in the general area that I am playing with...And they are a 3 to 4 star hotel...I don't know if you and Mrs. Oro want to take a trip to Mexico this Dec. or not...I could tell you that the machaka will be very good if you take me up on the offer...Though I am not sure of exactly what mines I would take you to see...I could leave that up to you...In either case I don't think you would want to ride the mule...LOL If you were to go, would you and Mrs. Oro be taking a 4x4?

I will talk to my wife and see if it will be o.k. with her...

Amigo that sure sounds reasonable enough, heck I usually get those one star hotels, and that only one night per week in the sticks. A tent serves well enough most of the time. I would love to make that trip in December (not saying that our local SD winters are nasty, of course harhar) I can't make any promises -yet! It would be a long story but hopefully we can sell our properties, get a cabin built and be in a very different financial position by that time. The way my luck runs, I will be spending another SD winter in a camper though. If we can make it, I will likely drive the old 4x4 pickup there - or take alternate transportation and try to rent something there. I don't mind riding a mule (even if it is odd for me) but I get the impression that the site you are talking about might be accessible by 4 wheel drive? That would sure make it faster! :thumbsup:

Cubfan wrote:
The only people who know what I've found are myself and my wife - Just because I'll be retiring at age 49 to a life of luxury when I've never made over $50K per year doesn't mean anything - or does

Dang Cubfan, I had no idea! Gee you wouldn't be in a position to make a small loan to a fellow you've never met, would you? ::) :o ;D :D :tongue3: Just kidding amigo, I wouldn't lend me money either! ::) :'(

Real de Tayopa wrote:
ORO here is a map of TAYOPA which has never seen much circulation. Notice the striking similarity betwen it and Dobie's map. including orientation. Conclusions?

I would like to study this one and do a little comparison before answering, but can tell you at first glance that it does resemble Dobie's map. I wonder how close Dobie got, and if he realized it?

Gossamer wrote:
Ok... sorry your rock is prettier Oro.

HOLA Janiece,
Thank you - but I only wish that example were my own - it is a photo from Wiki. Peacock ore is pretty and rich - as I understand it runs around 60% copper, which with today's prices would set a price on the ore @ $4800 per ton!!!! I am sorry to hear about your uncle's accident. However if he loved mining, then it might be said that he died doing something he loved?

Gossamer also wrote:
they have found a 'plate' of mica under the floors of many of the Temple's in Mexico. No one knows why, but isn't it interesting.

I have never heard that, but it IS interesting! What could have been the purpose for this, when it could not have been simple decoration?

Gossamer also wrote:
find things just by looking down, lol.

I am agreement with your philosophy - that old saying about "keep looking up" is so silly! If you go around looking UP, you won't find anything but MIGHT just step in a hole - or a rattler! :o ::) ;D(haha) I like to keep one eye on the ground (and one foot) at all times. :thumbsup:

Gossamer also wrote:
Where can I go look at the talk about Vikings?
thank you
Janiece

It is under the Pearl Ship thread, which story itself is perhaps the most fantastic, as well as most un-believable story to come out of the American southwest. The story was the subject of at least one TV program, an episode of the old series Bat Masterson in fact. As strange as the story sounds, there are reasons to think it possible! There are (supposedly) even at least two photos of it, but I have never been able to locate these. Here is the linkee:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,21524.msg1103454.html#msg1103454

Springfield wrote:
Out of curiosity, a general question: have any of you actually worked in an underground mine and seen ore from a sulfide deposit being mined? Not 'ore samples' from the dump, but vein material, the stuff that made the mine a mine.

Well I have worked underground, but in a tertiary (caliche-cemented) placer mine, not hardrock. Do you need photos of good sulfide ore?

Oroblanco

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan wrote:
The only people who know what I've found are myself and my wife - Just because I'll be retiring at age 49 to a life of luxury when I've never made over $50K per year doesn't mean anything - or does

Dang Cubfan, I had no idea! Gee you wouldn't be in a position to make a small loan to a fellow you've never met, would you? Roll Eyes Shocked Grin Cheesy tongue3 Just kidding amigo, I wouldn't lend me money either! Roll Eyes Cry

Hmm, one way to fix that situation would be to get to know you ;D

Posting here is a start - it's how I met Cactusjumper and djui5 and I don't regret that (or at least haven't yet - hehe).

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Well I do hope to remedy that, by meeting you Cubfan (along with several of our other friends here). Unfortunately (for me) a lot of folks have told me that I am "worse" in person, not quite sure what that means though! :o ::) ;D :D :wink:
Oroblanco

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
did it really matter what we talked about as long as we gave each other reason too...? i got a lot work around here ... to much even ...

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Cubfan... you are my hero! That is a wonderful story, are you going to make a movie or write a book about the adventure of finding the suitcase?
Here are 2 things I found while looking down... on the left is a diamond and emerald pendant I found in a sidewalk crack while walking around the Beverly Hills Hotel, yes I did let lost and found know I had found a piece of jewlery, left my number and told them to call if anyone reported and could identify it. No one ever did.
At a thrift store I found a diamond engagement ring, its just a quarter karet, but the work is beautiful. I went straight from there to a jeweler... and its real. One time I was at Universal Studios and trying to not sit down but get it right... in the bathroom, and I looked down... there was a beautiful gold bracelet. I almost fell in.
On the right is a 'diamond' I found in the gutter, my nephew was walking and he spotted it, but until I started reading here I didn't think it was real, then I read about someone finding a earring and people told him it wasn't real... which is what I thought, but something about the sparkle told me to check it recently. I'm going to take it in this weekend and check it... and try as I might... the damn thing will only photograph blue... I tried 11 times. This was the best it came out. Its at least 2 k. So here's hoping its real.
Janiece

Attachments

• necklace.jpg
    necklace.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 403

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Gossamer wrote:
Its at least 2 k
Judging by the photo and your description - WOW congrats on a great find! Have you tried cutting glass with it? Also, a relatively simple test is to drop it in a glass of water - if it seems to "vanish" (if memory serves) then it is likely diamond.

Gossamer also wrote:
while walking around the Beverly Hills Hotel
and
One time I was at Universal Studios and trying to not sit down but get it right

Again, this statement might well deserve another WOW - and I just have to ask, were you there visiting, or because you work there (the same way we would say Steven Spielberg "works" there)? A guy with a vivid imagination might leap to some astounding conclusions! :blob3:

Blindbowman wrote:
did it really matter what we talked about

Amigo I think you might have reacted a bit too 'hot' :angry4: when our mutual friend Cubfan made the simple statement that he was 'on the fence' concerning your discoveries; I think you already know what I am talking about, and what would be the right thing to do. Perhaps the post was meant in jest but it sounds harsh.
Oroblanco

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
At the time I did work there, but I ran the art gallery thats there. LOL... I will try the water test, shoot I had put the diamond (?) in with my 'craft' stuff, and I went nuts trying to find which little plastic box it was in. One time I was sitting in the back writing, I looked around a corner and noticed this little old lady leaning down, so I went to 'help' her, and she had my Erte' $6000 sculpture on the ground. She was going to put it up her dress... don't ask cuz I don't know. Anyway I picked the sculpture up and asked her what she was doing... she rambled something about losing something... and then her son beat it over to her. Fortunately she didn't get away with... unfortunately I hadn't been there 2 wks prior when someone did walk out with one.
LOL I didn't think it was real because ah come on 'who finds a 2k diamond' while walking with your baby nephew.... :icon_profileleft:
But then there was that time I stepped out of a cab in front of a club... and there was a $100 bill in the gutter. :icon_profileright:
Some of my art clients own studios though... does that count? Thats why I want to do a docu on AZ. legends. :icon_study:
I just dropped the rock into water... I can see it, so I went and got something I know is real and its showed up too. :tongue3:

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
and the rock also cuts glass... :toothy1:
So what do you guys think... is it real or is it memorex?
Janiece

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Well we can rule out glass (paste) - here are some other tests you can try:

There are some less reliable methods you can try but there are no guarantees with these:

1. The old “If it will scratch glass it has to be a diamond.” Well, it is true that diamonds do scratch glass but so do a lot of the other fakes on the market. To boot, it’s possible to injure your rock even if it’s real during your hardness test.

2. The transparency test. If you flip the diamond in question upside down and place it over some newsprint and can clearly read through the stone, it’s not a diamond. (The problem with this test is some diamonds are cut shallow and can be read through.)

3. The fog test. This test I like a lot. Put the rock in front of your mouth and fog it like you would try to fog a mirror. If it stays fogged for 2-4 seconds, it’s a fake. A real diamond disperses the heat instantaneously so by the time you look at it, it has already cleared up. (A down fall to this test is oil and dirt on the stone can effect its reliability and the test is not accurate at all on doublets where the top of the stone is diamond and the bottom is cubic zirconia epoxied together.)

4. The weight test. The most popular of diamond simulants (fake) is a cubic zirconia. C.Z.’s weigh approximately 55% more than diamonds for the same shape and dimension. So if you have a carat or gram scale at your disposal you can see if the imposter tips the scales too much.

5. The U.V. test. A high percentage of diamonds fluorescence blue when put under an ultra violet light (black light). Since 99% of all fakes don’t, a positive identification of medium to strong blue would indicate a diamond. The bad news is if this method proves you have a diamond, it also proves your diamond is worth less. Diamonds with blue fluorescence are as much as 20% less valuable. Remember, lack of blue fluorescence doesn’t mean it’s a fake; it could just be a better quality diamond.

6. Under the loop test. If you own some sort of magnifying lens, there are some things you can look for on the stone that might give away its identity:

A. Look at the rock from the top and see how well the facets (cuts on top of the diamond) are joined. They should be sharp not rolled.

B. Look at the girdle and see if it is faceted or frosty (a clear sign it’s a diamond) or waxy and slick (an indication it’s a fake).

C. While you’re looking at your stone under magnification, look into your stone to see if you detect any flaws (carbon, pinpoints, small cracks). These are typically clear indications it’s the real thing since it’s very hard to put inclusions in a fake.

D. After examining the stone, focus in on the stamps inside the setting. A stamp of "10K, 14K, 18K, 585, 750, 900, 950, PT, Plat" indicates the setting is real gold or platinum which gives a better chance that the stone in it is real as well. While you’re looking at the interior of the ring, also look for any "C.Z." stamps that would indicate the center stone is not a diamond.

I hope this helps all you Sherlock Holmes that want to know what you got.

by Fred Cuellar, author of the best-selling book "How to Buy a Diamond."

I hope this helps, and that it turns out to be diamond!

Thanks for clearing up the Hollywood references too - and for the story; hard to imagine someone trying to steal a statue by packing it up her DRESS! Yikes! :o ;D :D)
Oroblanco

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Shoot the Sheriff that took my report said that they had reports of women walking out with TVs tucked under their dress... lol
OK
1. The old “If it will scratch glass it has to be a diamond
It scratched my mirror... I ruined a perfectly good mirror

2. The transparency test
Could not read any news print.

3. The fog test
I blew on it and by the time I looked at it, it was clear.

4. The weight test
Its at least 2 k, so it has some weight to it... don't think its too heavy.

5. The U.V. test.
Taking the pic, its a pure white (clear) stone but photographs blue. I tried a lot to photo it and always it came out blue!
6. Under the loop test
Its pretty!
A. Look at the rock from the top and see how well the facets (cuts on top of the diamond) are joined. They should be sharp not rolled.
Very nice sharp edges.
B. Look at the girdle and see if it is faceted or frosty (a clear sign it's a diamond) or waxy and slick (an indication it's a fake).
Very clear
C. While you're looking at your stone under magnification, look into your stone to see if you detect any flaws
I have a cheap loop, but at first I thought I saw a tiny tiny serial number on it.. but its giving me a headache, but its cut is very faceted, something like a brilliant cut.
D. After examining the stone, focus in on the stamps inside the setting.
Its loose, sparkly and just being a girl looks real after all this.. tomorrow I'm off to the jeweler.
Janiece.. and thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread