td bank question

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
So I hear they have coin counting machines in the lobby. I went on their site to check into it and it mentions being an account holder. If not there is a 6% fee. My understanding was you could just dump your coins and you get a receipt. I'm basically looking to find some more places to look for coins. Got myself intrigued with the fact people don't check the reject tray. Well at least those who don't pay attention. So figured maybe I'd go dump coins there from time to time just to be able to search the reject tray.

But it seems I may be better off just checking Coinstars in different retail stores.

Upvote 0

db23

Mar 18, 2011
Just open a checking account with the $100 balance requirement to avoid fees.

The brokerage suggestion isn't going to work. If they can't look up an account, you're paying the fee.

TD is my primary dump bank, they get about $60K a month in my half dollar dumps...

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
db23 said:

The brokerage suggestion isn't going to work. If they can't look up an account, you're paying the fee.

TD is my primary dump bank, they get about $60K a month in my half dollar dumps...

So to have a checking account there all I'd have to do is maintain a $100 balance, no other fees or anything? I know some banks charge fees for inactivity. I'd purely open an account just to be able to dump there. So I'd keep the minimum balance but likely do nothing with the account. Does it seem a bit extreme to just want to use them to dump so I can check there reject slots?

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treeslayer said:
open a savings account, there are no fees. It would not hurt to save a little once and awhile.

Yeah I didn't see that on their site. I just called though and they said it is called the club savers account. Not a bad deal - I am going to open that..

So.. For the coin counters.. How much do the machines hold at once (halves)? $1K?

db23

Mar 18, 2011
mws_1984 said:
db23 said:

So to have a checking account there all I'd have to do is maintain a $100 balance, no other fees or anything? I know some banks charge fees for inactivity. I'd purely open an account just to be able to dump there. So I'd keep the minimum balance but likely do nothing with the account. Does it seem a bit extreme to just want to use them to dump so I can check there reject slots?
The balance requirement may vary by region, I'm not sure, but here it's only $100. There are no fees for using the coin machines as long as you are a customer. I usually deposit my dumps instead of just cashing them out, this causes activity on the account, though there are no inactivity fees I know of. I know some people like to avoid the paper trail but it really doesn't matter because TD tracks the Penny Arcade usage anyway.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
koala33 said:
treeslayer said:
open a savings account, there are no fees. It would not hurt to save a little once and awhile.

Yeah I didn't see that on their site. I just called though and they said it is called the club savers account. Not a bad deal - I am going to open that..

So.. For the coin counters.. How much do the machines hold at once (halves)? $1K?

Ha.... Try $100

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
This idea just got shot down. I was looking and also noticed the maintenance fees for that low balance checking account. Then I go searching more and find I don't have a TD bank in my city. Closest one is about 30 miles away. All set doing that. Will just stick with my dump bank that has 4 branches in my city. They do it behind closed doors but hopefully if anything is in the slot they give it to me. And I'll start searching coin stars. Will have to give up that sense that I look weird going for change but people used to do it in phone booths lol.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
db23 said:
koala33 said:
treeslayer said:

Ha.... Try $100

REALLY?

db23

Mar 18, 2011
koala33 said:
db23 said:
koala33 said:
treeslayer said:

Ha.... Try $100

REALLY?
Yep, they have to change the bag 10 times when I dump there. The machine is VERY VERY fast though. It usually takes me about 5 minutes to dump 1K there while the other banks that have machines that fill at 1k in halves per bag take more like 20 minutes to fill.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
db23 said:
koala33 said:
db23 said:
koala33 said:
treeslayer said:

Ha.... Try $100

REALLY?
Yep, they have to change the bag 10 times when I dump there. The machine is VERY VERY fast though. It usually takes me about 5 minutes to dump 1K there while the other banks that have machines that fill at 1k in halves per bag take more like 20 minutes to fill.

Wow. I am used to 1K machines but again, it often times would take them a while to come and change the bag (then had to change other bags that just so happened to become full also).

I am trying to stick to customer wrapped now for the most part for now. I want to see how it goes though.

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
Yeah...$100....and they get really ticked when you use up like 10 of their bags. Enjoy (the looks)!

db23

Mar 18, 2011
ScottNVAB said:
Yeah...$100....and they get really ticked when you use up like 10 of their bags. Enjoy (the looks)!
The employees themselves can care less about the bags themselves, it's the work that follows. They have to log each bag on a form in a binder.

I go to about 20 branches a week and dump 1K at most of them. A few of my branches will actually just fill 1 bag 5 times (so $500/bag), I generally dump 3-5K per week (in 1 trip) at those branches.

I will say that to use TD as a dump bank for halves you have to not be worried about dirty looks.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
db23 said:
ScottNVAB said:
The employees themselves can care less about the bags themselves, it's the work that follows. They have to log each bag on a form in a binder.

I go to about 20 branches a week and dump 1K at most of them. A few of my branches will actually just fill 1 bag 5 times (so $500/bag), I generally dump 3-5K per week (in 1 trip) at those branches.

I will say that to use TD as a dump bank for halves you have to not be worried about dirty looks.

They were rude at the one I went to, so I wont really care.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DB,

If you deposit a $1k bag, how long does it take to be in your account and ready to withdrawl?

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
palidin20603 said:
DB,

If you deposit a $1k bag, how long does it take to be in your account and ready to withdrawl?

While depositing cash at any bank (from my experience) you can withdraw instantly. I've deposited 400$ into my td account , all in half dollars. And then withdrew it immediately at the atm. I wanted them to think I keep the money in there so they're nicer to me lol.

It's funny the original poster is asking about opening an account solely to check the rejects. Today I specifically went to TD just to check the reject slot and to attempt looking at the magnet underneath the coin accepting tray. The penny arcade was broken :(.. luckily they bought my rolls of halves this time (just $110)

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
mws_1984 said:
db23 said:

you can bring a horse to water but you cant make him drink.

It doesnt hurt to have a cheap account anywhere you might hunt. Call up and find out when inactivity fees start. I keep a notepad with minimums , inactivity time and my last transaction. It may sound like a lot but at this point it takes 30 seconds once a month to look at. I have bank accounts in different states and go on a bank run once a week that is at least 30 miles away. The funny thing is I could write a book on some of this stuff but teaching people how to hunt only means less for me. I just wish some of you new hunters would stop teaching tellers about silver. Oh and how about opening an account at a bank with a machine to "dump".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread