mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Been lurking for a few months now and this is my first post. I've had som moderate success with dimes this year. Got 32 including 1 merc and 2 80% Canadian. Also found 2 40% ken, one war nickel, one buff nickel and one Indian head. I've been working my way through old posts and gaining as much knowledge as I can. I love this site. One post I read had to do with the relationship between finding silver dimes and Canadian dimes. Any box I have found silver in has also had Canadian. The TD boxes I have gone through have had nothing but clad American in them. This is making me think they are putting the dimes through a sorter that is rejecting everything but the clad. I think I am going to stop ordering because they never produce. I usually get 1 to 3 silver from BOA and a small local bank. Would appreciate any thoughts anyone had on my theory. Thanks and HH.

Upvote 0

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since all TD has a penny arcade, you can expect dumpers
also its always good to tap into different banks.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diversify! CnC got all the TD dimes :-)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 3 boxes of dimes from TD bank the other day, all skunks too, but they do NOT cull silver at TD bank since I have had some nice boxes from them in the past. Could likely be the batch, I find that different batches with different dates stamped on the boxes produce better than other dates. My 3 skunk boxes were stamped March 02 2012

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
If TD gets back the dimes they send in it stands to reason that they will have few silvers as i believe most all the penny arcades reject silver dimes and quarters. Some [but not all] reject silver halves.

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to average at least 1 silver dime/TD bank box. Up until about a month ago where i dont get any. I have talked to one of the tellers who is also a CRHer, and he said that they dont see any silver dime rolls which they have been opening for change for themselves. But i am sure that randomly next month everyone will be saying how great TD bank dime boxes are. So who knows.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got 2 boxes from td bank last week and each box produced 3 rosies. I have 6 boxes to look threw tonight. one is from td bank four are from boa, and one is from liberty bank. I will post my results tomorrow.

OP
OP
mercury1

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the comments. I should have mentioned that in my area TD does not have penny arcade or any other coin counters that I am aware of. I gather this is not the norm from other posts I have read, but when people dump on my local TDs it has to be rolled. That is why it seems strange to me that I haven't encountered any Canadian as people who roll can put it in their dump rolls to get rid of. The local bank I use for dumping has a free coin counter which rejects Canadian. Anyway, I've stopped my dime box orders from TD and will concentrate on other banks that have been producing.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The local bank I use for dumping has a free coin counter which rejects Canadian.

All CC do reject magnetic coins (Canadian among others). I always get the rejects from the machine (once got some gold and silver jewelry).

buddy16cat

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Been lurking for a few months now and this is my first post. I've had som moderate success with dimes this year. Got 32 including 1 merc and 2 80% Canadian. Also found 2 40% ken, one war nickel, one buff nickel and one Indian head. I've been working my way through old posts and gaining as much knowledge as I can. I love this site. One post I read had to do with the relationship between finding silver dimes and Canadian dimes. Any box I have found silver in has also had Canadian. The TD boxes I have gone through have had nothing but clad American in them. This is making me think they are putting the dimes through a sorter that is rejecting everything but the clad. I think I am going to stop ordering because they never produce. I usually get 1 to 3 silver from BOA and a small local bank. Would appreciate any thoughts anyone had on my theory. Thanks and HH.

I know what you are saying though, I have gotten boxes but mostly do rolls. I don't know if they changed distributors or something but in one county I am from they were getting Brinks which I avoided. In another county they got paper rolls and had luck with those. I decided to try getting some Brinks rolls and found too roosies but went back to the same branch and they had paper rolls found another roosy. I got a box opened three rolls and they were uncirculated so I brought it back and deposited it. I drove around and tried some other banks in the Brinks county and they had paper rolls as well, all skunk. Went to one branch I was lucky out in the past and got a $100 in dime rolls, skunk. This is the second time I got skunked there recently. I was finding something on a regular basis but that seemed to drop off and now they are getting uncirculated dimes. Do you think they sometimes detect that people are roll hunting and switch distributors because these rolls look very similar to my primary banks rolls, nothing but skunk not even a steel Canadian. That is why I never get rolls at my primary bank. Not that I am thrilled with my primary bank and could switch that, I only like their credit card. Yes though I think you should diversify because if you are dumping in their machines, you may wind up researching since you would think that the branches getting Brinks may have their machines serviced by Brinks but it appears they sometimes switch distributors in different areas between Gaurda and Brinks. Find a new pick up bank. I did.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you are saying though, I have gotten boxes but mostly do rolls. I don't know if they changed distributors or something but in one county I am from they were getting Brinks which I avoided. In another county they got paper rolls and had luck with those. I decided to try getting some Brinks rolls and found too roosies but went back to the same branch and they had paper rolls found another roosy. I got a box opened three rolls and they were uncirculated so I brought it back and deposited it. I drove around and tried some other banks in the Brinks county and they had paper rolls as well, all skunk. Went to one branch I was lucky out in the past and got a $100 in dime rolls, skunk. This is the second time I got skunked there recently. I was finding something on a regular basis but that seemed to drop off and now they are getting uncirculated dimes. Do you think they sometimes detect that people are roll hunting and switch distributors because these rolls look very similar to my primary banks rolls, nothing but skunk not even a steel Canadian. That is why I never get rolls at my primary bank. Not that I am thrilled with my primary bank and could switch that, I only like their credit card. Yes though I think you should diversify because if you are dumping in their machines, you may wind up researching since you would think that the branches getting Brinks may have their machines serviced by Brinks but it appears they sometimes switch distributors in different areas between Gaurda and Brinks. Find a new pick up bank. I did.

TD Bank switched from brinks to Garda recently.

buddy16cat

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD Bank switched from brinks to Garda recently.
I was talking to a teller about who services Penny Arcade, and she said Brinks and Garda. Apparently, they use both currency distributors but up until recently one county here only got Brinks and the other only got Garda rolls. Since I always had more luck with paper rolls, I only picked up in the county that had them and dumped in the Brinks county. Did TD switch to Garda completely now or do they just go back and forth? This isn't the first time I experienced this was at a local credit union, I got one paper rolled box and then a Brinks box following that. Problem with them is credit the union is that after two boxes said they would not give me anymore boxes since they cost them. For some reason though all the TD Bank rolls in my area have been skunk so time to get a pick up bank so I applied for another checking. I should try to get some rolls at some bank I don't have an account at like BoA. Since they got a bailout do you think the least they could do is give you some rolls? Do you think TD could be using a different distributor than these two. I know that a large chain around here that I have used for my main bank has nothing in their rolls. Not even a steel Canadian. I found the coin in my avatar at a TD branch where I found nothing in my last two searches. I was surprised though about the 2 roosies in $75 in Brinks dime rolls. I went around to some TD banks looking for more Brinks and found none.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I Did TD switch to Garda completely now or do they just go back and forth?

I think it may depend on region. It seems like TD is completely going to Garda now, maybe some banks are still in the process of converting.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i personally prefer garda dimes more, even though it takes 30 minutes per box to search compared to 10 before...
hh
buff

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Since they got a bailout do you think the least they could do is give you some rolls?
You're aware that most of the banks that took bailout funds did not want nor need the money, right? And that nearly all of them have paid it back, and then some? They don't owe you, me or anybody else anything... unless you're a customer.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it may depend on region. It seems like TD is completely going to Garda now, maybe some banks are still in the process of converting.
They're all switching in the NE corridor is what I was told by a couple tellers. Not sure about the other branches (IE Florida.)
i personally prefer garda dimes more, even though it takes 30 minutes per box to search compared to 10 before...
hh
buff
Concurred, although I haven't had great luck with the TD Garda boxes.

buddy16cat

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're aware that most of the banks that took bailout funds did not want nor need the money, right? And that nearly all of them have paid it back, and then some? They don't owe you, me or anybody else anything... unless you're a customer.
You are aware that we were on the brink of financial collapse at the time of TARP and we would have had a financial meltdown? That is beside the point really, I never walked into a bank I didn't have an account at and asked for rolls nor would I go into a bank with that attitude but certain large financial institutions did in fact almost cause a financial meltdown that is why Bush enacted TARP. If the bailout didn't happen, we would surely be in depression. I am not going to begin to understand economics at that scale. Nobody really owes it to you to give you rolls but do wonder why some branches of the same bank will give you anything you want but others will tell you that you need a business account. I walked into one branch of TD and got a box of pennies and a $100 in dimes. I called another branch and they said no, I could not get rolls unless I had a business customer. I know Wachovia around here is no more, it is now Wells Fargo. What is the other one that went under? I do know that Fannie and Freddy were the main culprit and those that insured those sub-prime mortgages. You really need to be an economist to under stand this stuff. As someone with a computer science degree I am not qualified to make comments about the great recession and its cause. I do wonder how BofA fits in the picture. I don't think though any bank owes you boxes unless you are a business customer really but if the person I am talking about getting rolls to is rude or impolite about it than I do complain about it. I certainly am not going to walk into BofA or Chase and say, "as a taxpayer I demand a box of dimes and no I don't have an account".

I know one woman at a local TD bank so all over the price. She told me before I opened an account that I couldn't by the Penny Arcade bag but could get boxes. Than last time I called she said "What do you need it for, are you looking for silver? Didn't you already come in and get a couple boxes already? You need to go to a currency distributor for that". I called the head teller and told him about it and he said she shouldn't have told you that and that I haven't really went overboard like some in the past. I do get surveys from TD asking about my experiences and I tell them but as far as customer service is concerned TD is like any other large bank it really depends on the branch. Most give good customer service but there are a couple bad apples. My primary bank is the same but one good apple was kind of a bad apple last time so I have considered changing banks and just keeping some stuff open.

Last edited:

buddy16cat

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're all switching in the NE corridor is what I was told by a couple tellers. Not sure about the other branches (IE Florida.)

Concurred, although I haven't had great luck with the TD Garda boxes.
Really? I found my avatar at TD Bank in $100 of paper rolls along with a silver roosie. I found 19 total and just opened an account at the end of May. 2 in Brinks, 17 in paper rolls although the paper rolls from Garda have been skunking but just opened another checking at another local chain and can always dump at TD and get some pennies. You can always count on some wheats. Has anyone tried nickels? I am reading it takes along time to find something good like a buffalo nickel (you can buy them cheap from dealers, they have tons of them). I guess I just try like $50 in rolls first and see how it goes and if I find something, I get more. Since I found in $50 in rolls I kept going.

Last edited:

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
I have done about 400$ in nickels total and have found 1 v nick,29 war nicks,4 proofs,and I keep pre 57 so I have 2 1/2 rolls of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread