Tdi pro vs garrett ATX

mehdi

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello
I want to buy tdi pro or atx and I've read many posts and sow some video that on the beach tdi pro win
But that was ground balance off
I also know tdi pro loss depth if gb turn on
So what do you think if both detectors gb on?
Im not looking for gold nugget,looking for relic and cache hunting
Waiting for your advice
Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Whites TDI is overpriced and overhyped. You are confused about GROUND BALANCE, as you don't have on or off, it's balanced or not balanced. A Pulse Induction machine is deep, but CANNOT discriminate. PI machines can "eliminate," but not discriminate. Have you checked out the Tesoro Tejon, or Minelab E-Trac?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are not wanting to beach hunt the TDI PRO is much better balanced and lighter. I like the TDI's audio and threshold much better than the ATX and the one I compared was nowhere nearly as deep as the TDI.

In bad soil you will have to run GB on. The only time you might not have to is at the beach or in neutral soils.

Before I spent the $$$ on a new ATX I would buy s used GPX 4500/4800. It is in a league of its own for deep relics.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Before I spent the $$$ on a new ATX I would buy s used GPX 4500/4800. It is in a league of its own for deep relics.

Amen and Amen! :occasion14:

OP
OP
M

mehdi

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks terry and fletch
Ive got a vlf machine and im happy about performance for coin hunting with high trash, but for high minerals and little trashy area,as you know,everything will change and vlf can not give you enough depth
So thats why looking for pi but with ground balance
I personally like the gpx but prices are little high for me

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can also find some used Minelab SD 2200 and GP 3000 machines on Gold Prospecting Fourums.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Keep in mind some earlier Minelab PIs are likely no longer serviceable. .......... My money is on the TDI Pro with a mono coil, not the dual field.

OP
OP
M

mehdi

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys
Im just worry about ground balance,on tdi pro and not sure how much will loss depth
Ive heard about gpx made in Malaysia
Prices are cheaper than Australian gpx but the performance are not same( as i heard )
Im little confused about it

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is a worldwide company. It doesn't matter if they're made in Ireland, Malaysia, Japan, Turkey or wherever the engineering and manufacturing is constant across the board.
Also if you buy a TDI get the pro and specify that you want the Aussie mono coil instead of the dual field. It is much less sensitive to small trash iron. The only difference in the TDI and TDI pro is fine GB adjustment. I was told that is only really needed if you are in the OZ where their minelaization is like 10 times worse than anything here in the states.
I wouldn't worry about depth. I hit these minis at 12-16" with ease in hot Virginia soil. The reign guide was past my elbow deep and I had to take multiple breaks getting down to it. You will dig more iron with the TDI than the GPX but it goes with the territory of relic hunting. I actually like digging larger iron relics like big square nails and such. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465140778.899483.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465140575.441629.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465140626.941626.jpg

OP
OP
M

mehdi

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds fletch,hope i can get 12-16" depth,its perfect
ill go with Tdi pro or maybe used gpx
Thanks for your great advice

Top Member Reactions