• class5.jpg
    class5.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 339

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
That is definitely a cool thing Darren! Next time you do one of those, send me an invite! ;D

Pcola

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren:
Great to see the enthusiam of those kids!! Good job!!
In comparison, last night I went to my first meeting of another coin club and at the break the main topic of discussion was each member's experience in the Korean War. The meeting adjourned at 8 PM (bedtime).
Don........

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
i would like an invite next time! :icon_study: :thumbsup: well done!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lots of my local CW metal detecting finds "live" at my wifes classroom - shes a music teacher and when she "covers" the civil war period era music lesson --- she breaks out "the local area town& train depot raid of july 17th, 1864 CW goodies" that I've given her to show the kids -- (give her hah she just glammed em) ---bullets, coins , buttons the works --my latest find which will shortly join "her collection" is a civil war "match safe "---complete with matches still in it -- sadly can't be opened due to damage but you can hear em inside it rattling about in it.

the kids love the hands on / up close history stuff.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks, guys. It's a thrill to see teachers and students so appreciative of what many are not. I was very careful to note the importance of archaeological integrity :wink: If any of you get a chance to share in your area, post here and let us know!

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Darren,

It is not quite on the same topic, but I attended the Annual North West Anthropological Conference here in Oregon yesterday. I was giving a paper of Drake's movements along the American west coast. There is a group of people who are trying to find and identify the Manila Galleon that wrecked at Nehalem, a bit further north on the Oregon coast, and they were giving a presentation on their efforts. There has been tons of beeswax found there, a pretty good indication of a Manila Galleon wreck, but nobody knows just which of several possible ships it might be. One of the group gave a presentation on the benefits that shipwrecks bring to communities, and they gave several examples. One of these was the benefits that flow from the Mel Fisher Museum in Florida. These are mostly professional archaeologists attending this conference, and it is interesting that somebody would talk about the Mel Fisher Museum in such a positive way. The State Archaeologist gave a presentation on the history of the State's attitude towards shipwrecks, and the laws surrounding them.

It was all quite interesting. I am not an archaeologist by the way, but was invited to give a presentation by a group of archaeologists who are interested in trying to find the wreck of a captured Spanish ship that Drake left behind of the west coast when he went back to England in 1579.

As I say, not quite the same topic, but not too far off it, I hope.

Mariner

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
we metal detectorist and researchers can "teach" lots of folks a thing or two --- (even archies)--- if they would only work with us rather than try to shut us down at every turn.

I got lots to share with folks who treat me and the hobby with respect --and nothing to share with those that treat me and the hobby with contempt.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mariner said:
I am not an archaeologist by the way, but was invited to give a presentation by a group of archaeologists who are interested in trying to find the wreck of a captured Spanish ship that Drake left behind of the west coast when he went back to England in 1579.

Bravo, Mariner, for your rich knowledge on the subject and for your service to collaborating with all who are interested in history. Teaching others goes way beyond those who are young!

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Excellent! Good job giving back.

I used to do the same thing for my boy's classes on diving. The kids were amazed at the gear and some of the photos done underwater.

Lynn

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
we metal detectorist and researchers can "teach" lots of folks a thing or two --- (even archies)--- if they would only work with us rather than try to shut us down at every turn.

I got lots to share with folks who treat me and the hobby with respect --and nothing to share with those that treat me and the hobby with contempt.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ossy

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Darren,
way to go. I'e been dong this for years at some of the local schools. Word of mouth really travels. I just did one for an entire school, K-5, 3 classes per grade, a few weeks ago. It was 50 miles from the house. The called me after seeing my artifacts on display at their local City Historical Museum where they were on loan/display last summer. Did several presentations at the museum as well.

Attachments

• talkc.jpg
    talkc.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 151
  • talkb.jpg
    talkb.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 160
  • talka.jpg
    talka.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 149
  • setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 155
  • talkd.jpg
    talkd.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 152
OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks so much for the pics, Jim! It's an awesome privilege to serve our communities when opportunity arises. I'm thrilled you shared. :thumbsup:

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Darren in NC said:
Thanks so much for the pics, Jim! It's an awesome privilege to serve our communities when opportunity arises. I'm thrilled you shared. :thumbsup:
It's always a pleasure to share with the next generation. If us "old farts" (as I have already been called), dont educate and pass on our passion for shipwrecks and the stories their artifacts tell to the younger ones to follow, then we will go by the way of the dinosaurs (much to the pleasure of some I am sure). I love the research, the hunt and of course the diving. But the thrill of finding something is only comparable to the thrill of sharing it with another person and seeing their eyes light up and answering their questions. The kids are always the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread